Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 F-250 diesel with 800 miles on it and every so often there is a delay when I put the truck in reverse. I put the truck in reverse and after about 5-8 seconds the transmission will finally grab and gives a good tug; especially if you happen to have your foot on the pedal while it engages. Anybody have this issue or is this normal? Sorry, this is my first diesel.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
On startup, it seems to be normal. That is, start a cold truck and throw it in gear immediately, it'll go nowhere.
If you wait long enough for the display to boot up, that's long enough for the trans.

If this is happening every time you put it in reverse, than no, it's not normal, but has been reported often enough that Ford is aware of the problem. Take it in and get it fixed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't happen all the time; just once in awhile. I talked to the service manager at my dealership and he said that he has never heard of this problem or any for that matter with the new 6R140 trans that's in the 2012's. Like I said, I guess i'll have them look at it when I get an oil change. Thanks for the input.

Regards

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a 2012 F-250 diesel with 800 miles on it and every so often there is a delay when I put the truck in reverse. I put the truck in reverse and after about 5-8 seconds the transmission will finally grab and gives a good tug; especially if you happen to have your foot on the pedal while it engages. Anybody have this issue or is this normal? Sorry, this is my first diesel.
Take it in to the dealership and tell them there is a TSB for this exact problem for certain build date 2012's. Mine is at the shop right now getting this exact thing done, new oil pump in tranny. I was also getting shifts all over the place when the tranny was cold. The oil pumps leak when they sit for a while, and therefore don't shift properly until they are warmed up and full of oil again.

I will be getting mine back sometime this week, will post the TSB number for you when i get the paper work. Be prepared for the truck to be down for about a week though....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for the info man I really appreciate it. It sure is nice having a site like this with people that actually know more than my dealership. Please let me know any info you get on the TSB.

·
Registered
38 Posts
HAVE YOU HEARD OF THIS ON THE 2011.MINE DID IT ONCE AFTER A 40 MILE DRIVE TOWING SOME WIEGHT.STOPPED TO BACK THE TRAILER UP AND HAD TO LOOK DOWN TO SEE IF I HAD IT IT REVERSE.TOOK ABOUT 4 SCONDS FOR TIT TO ENGAGE.ONLY HAPPENED ONCE.ALSO HAS THE MISS SHIFT WHEN ITS COLD BETWEEN 2 AND THREE WHEN IN TOW HAUL.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I believe it was only for certain build dates in 2012's but i have not seen the actual tsb yet. Truck should be done tomorrow, once i get the tsb number i will post it and you should be able to do a search and read it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
thanks for the info.ive got 25000 trouble free miles on this truck.tuned from the get go.just had my first run in with the dealership over a vibration.they said im twisting my drive shaft with the extra torqe of the minimaxx:rofl:so id like to get the update before they void my warrenty.

·
Registered
49 Posts
On start up then shift to reverse mine has a 5-7 second delay then bangs into reverse after sitting for 1 hour every time.Had it reflashed once but after I towed me Airstream trailer a few hundred miles it returned.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also notice a driveline vibration when pulling away from a dead stop with the trailer attached the dealer said this was normal.Looked underneath that two piece driveshaft arrangement is a little odd with 800ft lbs of torque I can see what is happening it has to be hard on u joints.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TSB for Delay in Tranny

Anybody have any luck on getting the TSB number for the issue with the tranny having a delay when putting gear in reverse?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tranny Issue

I am still waiting to get the TSB number from DarkGreyShadow. He said he would get it to me as soon as he gets it from his dealership. I will post it then.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am still waiting for the paperwork, as my truck has been back and forth to dealership and goes back in on Thursday for a ford egineer to look at it. The paperwork/case is still open, therefore i have not gotten any paperwork yet.

I have not forgotten, i will post as soon as i have it!

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Sounds like could also be direct clutch failure.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
84 Posts
It is definately the oil pump in the tranny, what happens is they leak when they sit over an extended period of time, and it takes a bit for it to fill it with oil again, before it can actually shift.

I am sorry i don't have the tsb numbers yet, as my paper worked is tied up the BBB, as i have a case opened on my truck for numerous problems. I have requested copies of the work that has been performed, and will let you guys know.

The short of the story is if your truck is doing this take it in, and tell them that you know there is a tsb for the problem, and that your truck does it. It's not a secret, once there is a tsb for it!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry guys, not going to be much help on the TSB number, i was so over my truck and the issues i was having, and not getting anywhere with ford that i traded the truck for a dodge yesterday.

I never did get copies of the paperwork like i asked for, and at this point i could really care less, as long as the truck is out of my hands! Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 with a an issue going into reverse. I am getting the same popping and jerking that is mentioned but it will only do it when the truck has been dirven and temps. come up. When it's cold you can't even feel it going into reverse, also no delay cold or at normal temp. Is anyone seeing the same. I have had it flashed once with no luck. Not sure which one they used.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts