Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been shopping around for a mini maxx for quite some time now and cheapest I can fin is $1400!!! I've been doing lots of research on the spartan phalanx and I love you device itself and it comes with tunes up to 275. The highest I'd use is the 250 but majority of the time the 210. Do I wait and hold out to find a cheap mini maxx which might never happen or just go buy the spartan. What do you guys think??

·
Registered
525 Posts
Both have great reviews i think the majority of it is just personal preference. I have the mini and its been great for me. Not sure on prices of the Spartan setups but don't think you can go wrong either way!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
152 Posts
srjd,

The spartan comes with all of their tunes! Up to the 350 tune. I am very much like you and use the 210 as my dd and I can tell you it is great! There is plenty of power, the shifts are exactly like stock and almost no smoke unless you REALLY get on it and then it's just a little haze.

If I were you I'd just buy the Spartan and be done with it. I am a very happy customer. Not saying that there is anything wrong with H&S, I just agree with you that it is very hard to justify 1400 on a tuner.

Kyle

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
after running both I will say if you need turn off the tpms system, adjust for tire size, and want shift on the fly then H&S all the way because you cant do that with the spartan. If you want a better monitor go spartan. transmission was h&s and the spartan 210 and under are close to the same firmness, but spartan 250 and over are hard shifts and I liked the h&s sifting way more. :beer:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do need to adjust for the tire size. With h&s can I get a late lock up tune I'd like that with the 37s. On the spartan they have that option. To be honest I'd like to have smooth shifting but in the end which ever is going to save my tranny longer ill be happy with. Can somone explain which tunes come with the h&s. are the hot damn ones included right away do I have to pay?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
All tunes come with h&s also. And you can pick which shift schedule you want. They have schedule 1- high medium and low and schedule 2- high medium and low. Schedule one locks the torque converter in 4th and 5th where schedule two only locks in fifth. Low is locks early and high is locks late.

Look for a used mini maxx. As long as it is returned to stock your fine. They don't require an unlock fee just make sure you don't buy a locked tuner. H&s will not unlock them anymore and I have seen a few for sale that seem to good to be true when they are buying a locked tuner. I may sell my extra mini maxx I have. Thinking about getting a sct with gearhead tunes just so I have two tuners and not have all this money sunk into a h&s I'm not using.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I run the 300 tune alot (210 in winter) and find the 300 shifts pretty smooth, not exactly like the 210 smooth but pretty good for that high a tune.
And like 03 said, you get all the tunes with spartan not just up to 275.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I really don't understand why so many people complain about the Spartan shifting. I have run almost all of the tunes and never had a complaint or worry about the shifting. I am currently running the 300 el because it has given me the best fuel mileage and it is a very clean tune even at WOT it only spews a light haze for a few seconds. My suggestion is go with the Spartan it is a great tuner and the customer service has been awesome so far.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I do go with the h&s just because I like the shift on the fly and adjust for tire size what shift schedule should I do for 6 inch lift and 37s. I was thinking shift schedule 2 medium? I don't want to luck the truck that's what thing I hate about my kem tune right now which I'm sure I could have got changed but it would shift into fifth way to early and lug the truck when getting on the highway. Also if I get the mini can I hook it up right away or does it have to be updated first.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If I do go with the h&s just because I like the shift on the fly and adjust for tire size what shift schedule should I do for 6 inch lift and 37s. I was thinking shift schedule 2 medium? I don't want to luck the truck that's what thing I hate about my kem tune right now which I'm sure I could have got changed but it would shift into fifth way to early and lug the truck when getting on the highway. Also if I get the mini can I hook it up right away or does it have to be updated first.
I ran S1M with my 37" and 3.73 gears and never had an issue and really liked the around town performance as we have a lot of 40 and 45 mph roads. and depending on what up date is on the mini you may not need to do an update. Just plug in load the HD tune, make any adjustments you want and have fun! Also I would run the easy tune a few times a year as that tune cycles the egr valve if you still have the egr system intact. The other tunes turn the egr system off.:beer:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome thanks for the info and all my egr fell off when I hit the same bump that knocked off my dpf filter. Lol the EPA better get a road crew out to fix that bump

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Did you ever run without traction bars? There not in my budget right now also my gearing is the 3.73

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Travis I tried finding a used mini maxx cheapest I found was 1300. The average one was 1600 and I seem 2 locally that were 2000 lol so I found this dealer for 1250. Other dealers were 1480. I really wish spartan could adjust tire size and shift on the fly cause I really like their monitor. Jeff from spartan was very helpful and answered all my question right away over the weekend but I think I'm going to go with the mini. I have a sct I'm selling as well if anyone is interested. Also an edge race but I think ill just sell that locally do somone who is just looking at getting rid of dpf

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Did you ever run without traction bars? There not in my budget right now also my gearing is the 3.73
I did and all i really remember was I stayed on the spartan 210 because anything over that and the gf was like whats wrong with your truck. then I went to h&s and she never said anything even running the hd tunes.

And to be fair I would have stayed with spartan if they could of had the same trans shifting for the 275 as the 210, adjusted for tire size, turned off my tpms, shift on the fly was not a huge deal but the tire size and shifting was the deal breaker for me. another thing I hated was the we are working on an update to fix stuff but dont know when it will be out:hehe: :beer:

·
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere
1,900 Posts
I did. It wasn't bad day to day. Shifting never bothered me or anyone else in the truck. Only time the shifting hurt was when accelerating HARD. Now with traction bars tho my truck feels solid. Once you do them you will wonder why you took so long.

I also wish the update with tpms and tire size adjustment would come out already, but beggars can't be choosers. So for now I'll be happy with what I've got.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the exhaust with the sensors all plugged in can I leave it like this for h&s?? I know you don't need them with the mini maxx but does it matter if they stay plugged in

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got it hooked up and wow!!! This thing rips my 175 tune was a dog compared to to 300. It doesn't say hot damn in the power levels just stock tow street performance. The mini is much smaller then I thought!! Also have you guys heard of the street tuners coming with unlock codes?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry about all the questions just wierd is says performance instead of hot damn or wild mild. It forsure is tho its got insane power broke the 37s loose in the re learn. I want to redo the shift schedule so do I return to stock then re program or just reprogram

1 - 20 of 53 Posts