Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the 6.2 vs 6.7 question has been asked a million times but...

Hey everyone. I’m thinking about getting a 2014 or 2015 F250 crew cab and have the old classic debate, 6.2 L gas or 6.7 L diesel. I’ve never owned a diesel and currently have been in a Silverado 1500 extended cab since 2008. I want the 2014 time frame F250 because I love the looks of it, inside and out, and would love the size of it for the kids who are growing.

So I have been doing tons of research to learn about these trucks and trying to decide which is the best fit for me and figured I’d reach out to some folks with real experience to help me land on a decision.

First of all I get it that these are bigger trucks and they burn more fuel than what I’m used to in my 1500, and I get it that if MPG was my main concern I should be shopping for a Prius. But at the same time my 1500 for being 10 years old with 160,000+ miles on it does fairly well with MPG, so I don’t want to get TOO far away from. So with that being said my first thought is maybe I should go for the diesel, BUT I don’t ever tow anything, though the possibility to is out there. My understanding is the 2 big factors for diesel are towing heavy loads and/OR spending a lot of time on the road. Every other week I make an 80 mile round trip 3 times within the week on the highway, and I also make my drive to work but that isn’t as far or every day . Is not towing anything but spending a good amount of time going up and down the highway justification enough for a diesel? Also, what I save in fuel and being able to go a little longer between maintenance, does that make the cost of fuel and the cost of maintenance even out at all?

My thing is I don’t want to get in a 6.2 just because I don’t tow and be blown away at how much I fuel it up. I also don’t want to get into a 6.7 for the mileage but face my driving amount not be enough and make my maintenance bill be way worse.

Also, what’s the deal with how much terror I hear in the explanations of maintenance and diesels? I get it, it is really expensive for a big repair. But the way diesel guys talk it makes it sound like a huge mechanical failure will 100% happen no matter what. I always did the regular maintenance on my 1500 and for 10+ years of driving it NEVER had an engine problem or any significant break down. I mean I get it, some of it is luck, all mechanical devices can break down and they all eventually will. My question is though, if I do the regular maintenance on a diesel could I also get 10+ years of reliability? It just sounds like every diesel owner experience a serious issue at some point before 10 years.

So those are my main concerns, just like everybody else. I don’t want my MPG to take a dump but I don’t want maintenance costs to be outrageous and not worth it. And again, I don’t tow, but do spend a good amount of time going up and down the interstate. 3 times a week, every other week 80 mile round trip. If I got the 6.2 with 3.73 gears in the rear, would the mpg be decent? Or still crappy.

Sorry for the super long post, just trying to put as many details out there as possible with all my thoughts to try to get the best advice.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
The cost premium on a diesel will not pay for itself for many years based on MPG alone.

Diesel costs more than gas to purchase, at least where i live.

If you’re not towing you will likely never need the extra power.

Repairs can be expensive on EITHER platform. Newer vehicles are more complex and parts/labor intensive to repair.

Oil change on the diesel will cost about 2x as much.

However...

Typically a diesel motor will go 2-3x the miles a gasser will before needing an overhaul. (But these newer motors don’t have the same track record yet...time will tell)

The diesel will ultimately tow more weight and do it easier than a gasser.

The diesel will likely hold its value much better than a gasser.

The diesel has stoopid power and low end grunt.

Either truck will do you right and to be honest, if you’re not sure you need a diesel, you probably don’t. But if you WANT a diesel then get one.

Full disclosure: I own an F350 diesel and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sc-surfer thanks for the reply, you make some good points. I think the biggest and the best question I could ask to everyone would more simply be -

For those who have diesels for towing, if you stopped towing everything tomorrow, how many would continue owning a diesel and how many would decide to swap over to a gasser?

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
If you plan on keeping them stock get the 6.2. If you want to delete it and do some other modifications get the 6.7. If you don't tow much it isn't worth dealing with the mantinace or emissions equipment on a 6.7.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The 6.2 is a good motor. I have friends with them. They can still haul, get decent gas mileage and sound good. That being said, there really isn't a comparison against the 6.7. As stated, oil and fuel filter changes are more costly, more stuff to fail with the emission system (though it's not common all the time) unless you can delete the truck and don't need that to get a sticker. Heavy duty truck with heavy duty parts that cost more than standard parts for a regular truck. The power of the 6.7 is great and gets decent mileage stock form. It's all preference though. If you can afford it, and don't mind higher costs then get the 6.7. If you don't want the headache then get a 6.2. You could also take both out for a test drive and see what you really like about either of them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not towing anything significant right now, and I love my PS. I've worked hard for a long time, and it's a 'want' for me -- flat out. Love the sound, love the power.

I'm big into maintenance, so I'm hoping take this truck from 70k to 300k or more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input everyone. I’m interested to do the math and see the comparison between the gas mileage I’m getting with a 26 gal tank, compared to the gas mileage of an F250 6.2 and the mileage it gets with a 34 gallon tank.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I mean, if you're that concerned with gas mileage then maybe neither are for you. It is a truck, a bigger heavier truck than your Silverado so you have to have an open mind.

·
Registered
481 Posts
2015+ have better turbos on the 6.7's

MY 2015 6.7 gets 17mpg at all stock still and your looking at 440hp and 860 lb-ft, in my opinion thats bad A$$ engineering.

SuperDuty is perfect for long road usage, It's like saying I cut a lot of grass and need a commercial mower so my ware and tear decreases, like the SD in my opinion is the same reason to have.

Maintenance, a mature or common sense person should know about this, I feel the Diesel complaint comes from younger kids that know nothing yet of care and lazy or ignorant adults that picked these trucks up and just drove the crap out of them not paying attention about maintenance. Now of course there were issues that Ford is responsible for just like any other Brand, But maintenance, yea you have to do that, just like my mower, chain saw, weed whacker, fire stove, chimney, house and me.

If someone has tricked you into thinking the only reason to have a Diesel is for towing, then you need to be brought out of that mirage. You have a tougher built truck with serious HP and torque that are known to give out some serious dedicated miles to a owner. Heck I remember a guy who walked away from a very bad wreck and claims how well the SD is built is why he survived the wreck and swears he will always own one because of that and I think that post was on here with pics?

I'm hoping to not have to purchase a vehicle for quit the while over my educated choice plus If I ever tow something it's a ready tool to have.

Now that was just their Diesel I was referring to,

The 6.2 I suspect would supply the same need. Personally I took the Diesel honestly because from my reading and discussions and findings has a better reputation of long reliability. Funny how you get a lot who disagree it's not reliable, If that were to be the case, then what is powerstroke.org for, complaints about ford diesels suck?

Good luck on your choice lemons are out there, but you can't go wrong with the SD in my opinion:grin:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Based on your criteria, go gas.

You don't need the up front cost of the diesel purchase and added cost of maintenance and possible repairs. Unless towing, there is now way you can justify the finances. Now, if you WANT a diesel, go for it!

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Diesel will cost more every step of the way, from fuel to oil changes to filters, etc. But they have the benefit of better MPG, power, and longevity. If you look at at it from a financial perspective or if you want less to worry about go gas.

My family are diesel heads we have 3 diesels 2 of which are sedans, my sisters VW bug (I don't like this car), my dads BMW 335D and a diesel Excursion. All 3 of them have cost more to keep going than there gas equivalents would have but we enjoy the better MPG and power they produce and are willing to pay a premium for it.

I don't like doing short trips in any vehicle but at one time the Excursion had a 4 mile commute and the 335D has 10 mile one which isn't long enough for a regen in the winter (Houston). Since you do an 80 mile trip several times a month I wouldn't worry to much about a short trip to work/store.

·
Registered
479 Posts
My company bought 2 identical trucks- one with 6.7 diesel and one 6.2 gas. Both 350 srw with utility beds. Over 2 year period the diesel got 1 mpg more than the gas-
It was way more expensive to buy, fuel is more, as we know, and the maintenance is more also. We did this purposely to compare so we could make future decisions with some clarity.
So if you do not tow- the gas will definitely be cheaper to run the same vehicle.

·
Registered
799 Posts
My company bought 2 identical trucks- one with 6.7 diesel and one 6.2 gas. Both 350 srw with utility beds. Over 2 year period the diesel got 1 mpg more than the gas-
It was way more expensive to buy, fuel is more, as we know, and the maintenance is more also. We did this purposely to compare so we could make future decisions with some clarity.
So if you do not tow- the gas will definitely be cheaper to run the same vehicle.
What you forgot to say is the driver of the gas truck is on anti depressants and having marital struggles due to hating his truck all day long.

The guy that drives the diesel turns around and smiles as he locks the doors and walks away from it at the end of every day.

On paper is one thing, real life is another.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sc-surfer thanks for the reply, you make some good points. I think the biggest and the best question I could ask to everyone would more simply be -

For those who have diesels for towing, if you stopped towing everything tomorrow, how many would continue owning a diesel and how many would decide to swap over to a gasser?
I currently own 3 diesels F 350 & 2500 HD and tow heavy with all and if quit towing and was in the market for a personal truck I would go with the diesel for a F 250 sized truck and up.
Comparing to my dad's 2500 gas which around 10 mpg (7000 lbs) to my 350 diesel that gets about the same mpg and weighs 13000 lb and does towing 40% of the time.
Also my stock 06(pre emissions) 2500 diesel has 260000 trouble free miles and it has had heavy towing since I got it 5 years ago.
New diesels consider deletes for better engine reliability. Had a 08 diesel go out at 200000 miles (non deleted 90% of that)

·
Registered
479 Posts
What you forgot to say is the driver of the gas truck is on anti depressants and having marital struggles due to hating his truck all day long.

The guy that drives the diesel turns around and smiles as he locks the doors and walks away from it at the end of every day.

On paper is one thing, real life is another.
Funny- unfortunately he is having marital troubles- but i guess that is a 50/50 shot nowadays.
He is constantly telling me he LOVES the truck (gasser) and he wants to purchase it when we are done with it.
Diesel driver has high praises also.
I love my 7.3- I bought it when i was towing a 10k construction trailer. If money is no object- go diesel.
Knowing what I know now- and especially because of the DEF, I would buy a gasser today, unless i was towing heavy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts