Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 F250. I started getting the death wobble about a month ago. I have replaced the steering stabilizer and the drag link. Rather than throwing money at an unknown problem I took my truck to a reputable alignment shop and had them look it over. All components were found to be tight and solid. I am still experiencing the death wobble. I am putting a new set of Cooper tires on it today as my current tires are pretty worn. What are the chances this could stop the death wobble and what else could be causing it? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Pretty slim.

Reactions: jrsavoie

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Oops. Not all my message posted.
There is a laundry list of things much more likely than a tire. Anything with a joint or bushing basically. Track bar, drag link, ball joints, king pin bushing, wheel bearing......
Tires, not so much.

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
Track bar bushing and ball joint is an easy potential fix that many people overlook, or deem acceptable, when in fact, are worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 96 F250 that I have replaced every bushing, ball joint, steering link, bearing, shocks, tires and still have the death wobble. I have had it aligned 3 times by different shops and still just as bad. I have tried and replaced everything I can think of with no help. So I am open to any suggestions too.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
I have a 96 F250 that I have replaced every bushing, ball joint, steering link, bearing, shocks, tires and still have the death wobble. I have had it aligned 3 times by different shops and still just as bad. I have tried and replaced everything I can think of with no help. So I am open to any suggestions too.
Thanks
4 wheel alignment or just the front?

·
Premium Member
7,639 Posts
Front axle u-joints are not in the list the things I have read so far -- the dont cause "death wobble" in the classic sense - but do cause random pulling to one side then the other

·
Registered
73 Posts
Shocks, as listed any bushing, are things torqued correctly, is it speed sensitive or bump sensitive or both? IS IT LIFTED LOWERED AIR BAGGED SUSPENSION MODDED IN ANY WAY....are hubs locked in (if four wheel drive)...

·
Premium Member
7,639 Posts
Does manually locking the hubs make the wobble go away?

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I am also in this boat :(

just did the track bar joint and I still have it. Already replaced all the steering linkage and I had it after that as well. I also need new tires and that will be coming soon so will see how that changes how it feels.

I’ve thought about doing wheel bearings as some preventive maintenance in hopes it might make a change. I don’t hear them being worn though.

I think the next thing I’m thinking about the most is the upper and lower steering knuckle joints. I haven’t done them but they looked pretty new. I can’t tell any excess movement when someone moves the steering wheel for me. I need to just take it all apart see if its bad.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Don't overlook the radius arm bushings.

Reactions: Vegvisir

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Just 2 wheel. I wasn't aware a 4 wheel was possible. Thanks for the help!
In addition to what @k9said, it will also tell thrust angle. So if your track bar is bent or if you lifted it and didn't add a track bar drop it will show up.

Reactions: Hydro and jrsavoie

·
Registered
222 Posts
Need to post alignment specifications. Caster adds to straight line stability. Most coil sprung trucks like 5-6’

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I would have lost money on the tire debate also,but my neighbor has a story.

He has a 2016 (I think) which has aftermarket wheels and nice tires on it when it was bought. He wanted a set of stock wheels for winter weather. He found a set on CL for a decent price with decent tires (tread). He threw those things on, went down the road, and immediately came right back to remove them. He said he wasn't a mile down the road and it went into a bad death wobble.

Now, he had owned the truck for about a year prior to this and it has bee 2 years since it happened. He still has the truck and never one other time had death wobble.

Just food for thought. I know tires aren't going to be the likely cause to the issue, but they can't be overlooked. We checked those tires pretty thoroughly for a slipped belt or any other issue and couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would have lost money on the tire debate also,but my neighbor has a story.

He has a 2016 (I think) which has aftermarket wheels and nice tires on it when it was bought. He wanted a set of stock wheels for winter weather. He found a set on CL for a decent price with decent tires (tread). He threw those things on, went down the road, and immediately came right back to remove them. He said he wasn't a mile down the road and it went into a bad death wobble.

Now, he had owned the truck for about a year prior to this and it has bee 2 years since it happened. He still has the truck and never one other time had death wobble.

Just food for thought. I know tires aren't going to be the likely cause to the issue, but they can't be overlooked. We checked those tires pretty thoroughly for a slipped belt or any other issue and couldn't find anything.
Not saying this is it ... however bent wheels can cause death wobble..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts