Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2005 Excursion Power Stroke.

YES, i have DEATH WOBBLE!!!! Anyone had this problem? Yes, it is scary!

1. Already replaced Steering stabilizer (08/24/09) and it seems like the problem was gone until i started to hear some metal squeeking noise from pass side everytime i turn right and left. So on the way to the shop this morning i go over a bump and the wobbling still there.
we put the truck on the lift and there is, found that by the passenger's side where the steering stabilizer bolts on is cracked. That also is connected to Differential. It's welded on.

Anyone???

Some info will help....Thanks guys.

Robert

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles..have you check the unit bearings and ball joints?

If you broke a mount my guess is the shock bottomed out?
my truck has 108,000 miles. Shocks seems to be okay. I'm going to test after i get out of work. I will let you know tomorrow. If still doing it then i go check the ball joints and the bearings.

Thanks,

Robert

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'd definitely check the ball joints, especially if they haven't already been replaced.

$0.02

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

So drove home and drove back to work. It seems like the wobbling is gone. Above you will see pics of what happened
after the wobbling. That's on the front Passenger side. It Cracked so my guy welded for now until i replace to a new one. I noticed that bracket is not sold separately, looks like i need to buy a new drivetrain cover/axle.

Bottom piece that is called the damper(steering stabilizer) was shot and replaced to new one. Other forums are saying that can cause the DEATH WOBBLE!

p.s. upper and lower ball joints were replaced back in Feb/2008

Robert

·
Registered
227 Posts
looks to me like you should find a new welder. Welds look way week. If it was my truck i would find someone to make and install a gusset to strengthen the area.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks to me like you should find a new welder. Welds look way week. If it was my truck i would find someone to make and install a gusset to strengthen the area.
It was only temporarily. I'm going back and redo it. sand it and weld it again. and put some rustoleum. I will take more pics after the is done. Drove some more last nite and this morning, hit some little bigger bumps this time and it seems okay.

Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts