Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help, Excuse my brevity but I am trying to stick with the facts and leave emotion out of it. I know this problem is old but it is also inconclusive, ongoing and ever changing.
2017 F350 Extended cab, 22K miles, lariat package. LT275/70RX18E OWL A/T Tires. Absolutely no mods have been done to truck.

The truck is a beautiful new 2017 and I love driving the truck until....21,650 miles I encountered the death wobble. The dealer stated the steering damper is fine but they installed a new trackbar ball joint and verified the toe in was in spec. Seemed to be a positive improvement until today. 22,349 miles and the wobble is back with aggression. At 60mph, any series of rough road or a pot hole followed by pavement irregularities will initiate a wobble that can only be stopped by pulling over and slowing down to 45mph. The truck is scheduled to go back to the dealer on Tuesday 23 Jan 2018. Does anyone have any meaningful advice that has been validated by past success? Please help!! My wife states the truck is unsafe and refuses to drive it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
results???

·
Super Moderator
3,938 Posts
results???
Looks like he came on here to vent one post and hasn't been back since.

I just bought a brand new '17 and can feel a light imbalance in the front end on bumpier roads that feels like it wants to death wobble but everything is still tight. My last one would get it BAD!! I experienced death wobble 5 times in one day. Track bar and track bar ball joint got replaced and it improved but the tie rod ends were still bad so it still wanted to do it.

·
Administrator
21,479 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
For what it's worth...I replaced the front track bar ball joint on my 2017 F450 at 19K. Never got the death wobble. Had a clunk in the front end. Sounded like a loose shock. The joint had enough play in it that I could grab the bar at the joint end and jiggle it up and down. I replaced it myself. Noise went away.

Note: It's the only joint on the front end that doesn't have a grease fitting.

·
Administrator
21,479 Posts
This user will never return.

IMO, the death wobble is a thing and it does happen... but also its 2018, video it with a phone or gopro and hold the dealer accountable.

Plain and simple.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Subscribing for if/when it happens to my '18 F350 CC LB. Please, noooo!

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 2017 has 43k miles, with many of them highway. Never a problem till last night. I was on my way from Vegas to Phoenix and got the death wobble very suddenly with a bump on the road outside Kingman. Got it at least a dozen more times over the next three hours. By the time I hit Phoenix my forearms were cramped from gripping the wheel. It hit when I was at 70+ and hit any sort of road irregularity. It would go away if I slowed to 50.

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Why is it a BS post?

As stated. People who REALLY have an issue are going to follow up with what solved it.

Too many trolls on here that want to talk crap and then, disappear.

I bought my 2017 PSD Lariat Ultimate last Dec, 27th, 2017. Due to health issues, I'm an Iraq Vet with TBI and other problems, I only put 5k miles on it since I bought it. I've had two issues. One, the Batteries went bad within two months. Replaced free of charge and within a day. Second was the LPFP went out. No reason. Had great fuel and no containment's. And Ford will DEMAND and research the hell out of your truck in this circumstance.

My LPFP went out a week before Hurricane Micheal hit our area. Had it towed to my Ford dealership just days before a massive hurricane hit it. My truck was AT THE DEALERSHIP when Hurricane Michael hit. Within two weeks of the dealership being hit, they had my truck fixed. And my Panama City Dealership was destroyed. All these bullcrap stories of bad service are preventable. Know the dealership you're buying from. Do some research prior to purchase and get to know them. Check back in with how you were treated to allow others toknow the horrible dealers out there. Also, and finally, get some stones to deal with any issues you may have.

This post is from early this year with ZERO input from the OP since then. So my give-a-F*ck is busted. Don't come back and update means a troll.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will be having the dealer check my truck out when I get it serviced next. ‘19 with 11500 miles gets a nasty shake when I hit bumps at speed. Truck does roll over some pretty rough terrain, so I can see something being wore out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same thing. ‘17 F250 with only 15k miles. First experienced it when I was bumper towing about 8k lbs and felt it hard after going 65 mph over some hard bumps (to the trucks credit I did a lot of slow to moderate off roading the week prior hunting). Ever since then I’d feel slight vibration hitting bumps at highway miles. Took it into the dealership who also felt the issue and changed the steering damper under warranty. Said there was a fix (TSB or TSP?) for it. My truck is stock when it comes to tires or suspension. I can’t feel it anymore but I suspect the vibration is still there. I need to get an alignment to make sure it’s not that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,718 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
1 - 20 of 98 Posts