Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and the Excursion world and looking for some direction. I have owned a few mid 2000 trucks but never the Excursion till now. I recently picked up an 03 with the 7.3L as a project and once getting into it came across an 03 with the 6.0L as well. The 6.0 is being driven as the other is still in the works. The issue I am having is with the overly abundant amount of wobble and play in the steering. What is there I can do to address this if anything short of a full suspension and steering overhaul?

·
Administrator
21,624 Posts
Do you have death wobble or worn out steering?

It sounds like we should change your title.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would have to agree with Heavy_GD: death wobble is at a rate of speed in which the truck has the wheel "wobbling". My 2004 truck with the leaf front end did that a lot. It sounds like you just have a worn out front end, very common problem. I personally have a 99 7.3 with 163xxx that has worked all its life in our business. We have not ONCE replaced a front end component on it...lets just say you can turn the wheel a quarter to half turn and it keeps going straight. Its kinda like being a dirt rally racer, you just keep working that wheel left and right until it goes straight down the trail I mean road

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I would have to agree with Heavy_GD, death wobble is at a rate of speed in which the truck has the wheel "wobbling", my 2004 truck with the leaf front end did that a lot. It sounds like you just have a worn out front end, very common problem. I personally have a 99 7.3 with 163xxx that has worked all its life in our business. We have not ONCE replaced a front end component on it...lets just say you can turn the wheel a quarter turn and it keeps going straight. Its kinda like being a dirt rally racer, you just keep working that wheel left and right until it goes straight down the trail I mean road
At 205k I have replaced everything on the front of my Excursion except the steering gear box. Replacing everything else has decreased the amount of play/slop in the steering but it still take some work. A new gearbox will be next.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Im guessing just worn out suspension also. Isn’t death wobble only a factor on coil over suspension. The 03 has leaf springs up front.

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
Just to beat a dead horse and from personal experience with excursions.

They are heavier than the superduty pickups. Replace the following and get an alignment. Use quality parts not duralast junk or you/ll hate yourself.

Upper/lower ball joints
track bar bushings (look at upp track bar bracket carefully common to find cracks/cracked bolts
Draglinks, steering end joints
shocks while not a huge game changer help tires wear better and slight improvement in ride
check leaf spring bushings

then get a alignment from a quality shop to make sure everything is lined up correctly. There isn't a point with high mileage trucks to only replace one side of components or just one ball joint etc.

check tire pressure/have tires rotated to put the tires where they need to even out treadwear. Sometimes a tire causes treadpull where a bad/worn out suspension items wears a tire out to pull certain directions until its rotated to the back to get worn out straight again (generally speaking of course)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would check out 1aauto for parts. I second the need for replacement parts. Upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, drag link tie rod at the minimum. I replaced my wheel hubs since it was already out with the ball joints. It is recommend to replace the outer wheel seals for the 4x4. 1aauto sells Timkin which is OEM for ford. I purchased hubs and they came with broken abs sensors, emailed them and they sent two brand new hubs with new sensors and let me keep the old ones. All I requested was the sensors. Prices are hard to beat. Get a decent pair of snap ring pliers also

1 - 7 of 7 Posts