Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm going to need some help from the folks on the ORG to determine how I should deal with this. My '08 has about 3300 miles on it and is bone stock so far other than an AFE stage 2 filter and torque tube, which I've had on since mile 1000 or so.

About three days ago my truck went into regen and stayed there. I didn't drive much over the past three days, so I didn't think much about it, but last night regen stopped and I got a CEL. Given that chain of events, I figured something was up with the regen process or my DPF and decided to bring it in to my dealer this morning.

I just got a call from the service person telling me that the codes that were thrown included the MAF along with some regen/DPF-related codes (I don't have the details yet). Their conclusion was that the filter is allowing too much air which is resulting in too much fuel being injected to compensate, which somehow screwed up the regen process and, they think, damaged the DPF. They are as a result refusing to perform any service under warranty.

I can't believe that an air filter could possibly wreak that kind of havoc. If there was an airflow problem, one would think I would have received a CEL shortly after installing the filter, not 2300 miles later. I'm scheduled to head to the dealer to discuss with their diesel tech then possibly management, but I'm not expecting a happy meeting.

Anyone have any information that I could use to call BS on their claim that my air filter is sufficient to void the warranty?

Josh

·
Shaking the Bush Boss
9,740 Posts
Sounds to me like the dealer is full of SH*t!, and cant figure out whats wrg with your truck, or just doesnt want to fix it under warranty.
Good Luck @ the meeting....as hard as it is sometimes, try and keep a level head.

·
Registered
589 Posts
mine throws a code occasionally and its an air overspeed code. if there is something wrong with the dpf and they can prove it. id finish it off and gut it then get the delete files from you tuner of choice. if they want to pull the warranty card already screw um. but odds are you didnt damage your dpf its just the overspeed code and youll be fine. post up the codes when you find out and we'll try to point you in the right direction:thumb:

·
Registered
589 Posts
oh also. if your that close to mike at kem he might be able to give you some advise. it might be worth the call

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just called the dealer. They said something like "there are a lot of codes, but here are the two on the report." Here's what they gave me:

P2002
P244A

Anyone have a link for a list of codes? They said that one is MAF and the other is the DPFE (?).

Josh

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I agree I don't see how that AFE intake would mess anything up

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
mine throws a code occasionally and its an air overspeed code. if there is something wrong with the dpf and they can prove it. id finish it off and gut it then get the delete files from you tuner of choice. if they want to pull the warranty card already screw um. but odds are you didnt damage your dpf its just the overspeed code and youll be fine. post up the codes when you find out and we'll try to point you in the right direction:thumb:
Well said....if they are going to throw that at you, then I would say pull the trigger and get the DPF off of there.......or you can agree to put your stock intake back on if they cover it.....sounds like you just got a hard lesson in how sensitive and retarded regen is

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually I'm awaiting my DashDAQ and pipe from Matt. My CC's been charged, I'm just waiting for the box. If I get sh*t from my dealer I'll just throw them the middle-finger code and deal with the CEL until my unit arrives.

I'm about to head over there to battle with management, so I'll report the results when I get back.

Josh

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Just called the dealer. They said something like "there are a lot of codes, but here are the two on the report." Here's what they gave me:

P2002
P244A

Anyone have a link for a list of codes? They said that one is MAF and the other is the DPFE (?).

Josh
None of them are MAF codes, they are all exhaust codes, but codes are being throwing because of the AFE.....its just the simple fact that its regen. The dealer is going on whats altered with the truck and the only thing that is changed is the intake........have you asked what if you put it back on? Also get ready to put on your seat belt when you find out how much they want for that DPF

I agree I don't see how that AFE intake would mess anything up
It messes with the regen process and the computer doesn't know how to handle it so it throws a code......its not saying that the truck isn't driveable, but regen is not performing with in its normal parameters

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
None of them are MAF codes, they are all exhaust codes, but codes are being throwing because of the AFE.....its just the simple fact that its regen. The dealer is going on whats altered with the truck and the only thing that is changed is the intake........have you asked what if you put it back on? Also get ready to put on your seat belt when you find out how much they want for that DPF

It messes with the regen process and the computer doesn't know how to handle it so it throws a code......its not saying that the truck isn't driveable, but regen is not performing with in its normal parameters
I see I guess that new regan and DPF crap is very sensitive

·
Registered
37 Posts
Had the same thing, same codes. Its the AFE. Put the stock back on until you tune. My diesel tech cleared the codes and warned me not to bring it back with that filter installed. If the POS dealer enters the AFE mod on your vin#, you may have future warranty issues.
I put the AFE on the shelf and the truck acts fine.

BTW, AFE says they are testing a fix for trucks that are throwing CELs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
This is the exact reason why I won't buy AFE. They're product looks good but throws CEL. I had one installed in my 6.0 for 3 months and threw a code, took it back to where I purchased it and they said it was the AFE. Luckily they let me trade it in for the Volant intake and it was perfect, way better than AFE. For my 6.4L I'm either going w/ S&B, Banks, or Volant.

joshcdsi:
At least you found your issue and hopefully the dealer will not act like a**holes with you. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
818 Posts
If I get sh*t from my dealer I'll just throw them the middle-finger code and deal with the CEL until my unit arrives.

Josh
The middle-finger code :hehe::roll1::hehe::roll1::hehe::roll1::hehe::roll1:
Get them with the :nutkick:

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
joshcdsi,
Please keep us posted on how this works out. Hope it goes well. I think I have the same problem as you. I have the AFE Stage 2 PG7 filter and torque tube. It has been problem free since April and I have 4933 miles on the OD. I went to the dealer on this past Tues. and scheduled an appt. for this coming Mon because my CEL came on and my oil level is over full. I suspect it is the AFE is the culprit for the CEL. The customer service rep at the service dept checked my oil and confirmed it is over full. He also saw my AFE intake and said that would void my warranty.:doh: He said the service manager is touchy about mods. He advised me to put the stock one back on before I bring it in for service on Mon.:dunno: I going to try to feel out the service manger about his stance on mods. I told the cs rep that the intake has nothing to do with my engine making oil and he agreed.

Does anyone know if I put back the stock intake ,will the codes go away by themselves? Or do they have to be cleared? Thanks in advance:thumb: Hopefully my dashdaq gets here so I clear them my self and have the the dealer focus on the fuel in oil problem. BTW, if I put back on the the stock intake the dealer can tell because the hose clamps will be different because I had cut off the OEM ones to installl the AFE:doh:

·
Registered
37 Posts
BIB-
The CEL should go away after the stock filter is back on with a few key starts.
Good luck with the oil problem. How did you find it? Just checking the stick?

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
joshcdsi,
Please keep us posted on how this works out. Hope it goes well. I think I have the same problem as you. I have the AFE Stage 2 PG7 filter and torque tube. It has been problem free since April and I have 4933 miles on the OD. I went to the dealer on this past Tues. and scheduled an appt. for this coming Mon because my CEL came on and my oil level is over full. I suspect it is the AFE is the culprit for the CEL. The customer service rep at the service dept checked my oil and confirmed it is over full. He also saw my AFE intake and said that would void my warranty.:doh: He said the service manager is touchy about mods. He advised me to put the stock one back on before I bring it in for service on Mon.:dunno: I going to try to feel out the service manger about his stance on mods. I told the cs rep that the intake has nothing to do with my engine making oil and he agreed.

Does anyone know if I put back the stock intake ,will the codes go away by themselves? Or do they have to be cleared? Thanks in advance:thumb: Hopefully my dashdaq gets here so I clear them my self and have the the dealer focus on the fuel in oil problem. BTW, if I put back on the the stock intake the dealer can tell because the hose clamps will be different because I had cut off the OEM ones to installl the AFE:doh:
WOW. That would be a stretch to say an air filter caused the oil overfull.:crazy:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Believe it.
They will not warranty it.

Ford has sent an internal memo instructing the dealers to deny warranty if any CAI is used. It allows the DPF to overheat and the heat fractures the substrate.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts