·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
headgaskets bad. 110k :thud:

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Didn't know you had it at the dealership Zach... Sorry to hear you've got to spend more money, but you know who to call....:thumb:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i took it in earlier tonight to get an "official diagnosis" hit 16psi and started blowin out the bottle..must not be too severe as it really doesnt lose coolant all that fast and it never overheats so.. i think im going to do the work myself, I would like to get the experience as well as know that i built the beast myself!:thumb:

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
yeah i took it in earlier tonight to get an "official diagnosis" hit 16psi and started blowin out the bottle..must not be too severe as it really doesnt lose coolant all that fast and it never overheats so.. i think im going to do the work myself, I would like to get the experience as well as know that i built the beast myself!:thumb:
Nothing wrong with that either... If you're in the market for studs & gaskets check out FCDP's sale they got going on right now. They also make a kick azz EGR delete since you're taking it all apart too (while your in there).

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-performance-parts-discussion/106832-6-0-headgasket-arp-studs.html

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
my studs were done with the motor still in the truck. wasnt too bad, my buddy did it for me at the dealer. he had the truck for like 2-3 days, from start to finish and then letting it sit over night pressure testing it.

good luck with it man

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
my studs were done with the motor still in the truck. wasnt too bad, my buddy did it for me at the dealer. he had the truck for like 2-3 days, from start to finish and then letting it sit over night pressure testing it.

good luck with it man
Evan, meet Zach... He lives a few hours away from me. He's not a diesel tech but he is an ASE cert. mechanic by trade. I'm betting he's going to do the job himself and save a lot of labor money.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Evan, meet Zach... He lives a few hours away from me. He's not a diesel tech but he is an ASE cert. mechanic by trade. I'm betting he's going to do the job himself and save a lot of labor money.
nice to meet you Zack!..thats good enough for me to tackle it then. i would def say though if you are doing it yourself and you can have a little down time i would get them heads cut. even from the factory they are off.

i wish i had mine down but since it was at the dealer they were trying to move it in and out.

im sure it will turn out great. i have a ton of pictures i took of my truck all apart to get an idea of what needs to come out if you arent lifting the cab.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
likewise Evan, I'm not sure if i will pull the cab or not, i would have to do it at work but theres no place for the roller or cab to set while i work on it, i could roll it in at night and back out in the AM but that would be a huge pain i think, sounds like a good way to lose tools and hardware, another problem is all of our hoists are in floor under hoists or drive ons so i would have to rig up a frame and use the forks on the skid to lift it, honestly i think im going to "bloody knuckle it" in the driveway.. we'll see.

Some pictures would be great, my main concern is the heads and making sure not to ding anything in the process.. I'm picking the truck up tomarrow, then the fun begins!:thumb:

Thanks

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome, Thanks! looks easy!:doh::hehe:

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Awesome, Thanks! looks easy!:doh::hehe:
:rofl: so easy you shouldn't have a problem doing it with your eyes closed

kurt should take the ride by you and help you out, im sure you guys could make good time and have it done pretty easily :nod:

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
someone just ran a thread on here recently where they did the studs themselves with the engine still in the truck and he took a bunch of pics of the process, was a really good thread.

while typing this decided to find the thread, it was mikeproc. here you go

100840-head-gasket-stud-install.html

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Dang that's a lot of extra work... I would say lifting the cab is the preferred method. If you can't do that I would at least pull the motor.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dang that's a lot of extra work... I would say lifting the cab is the preferred method. If you can't do that I would at least pull the motor.
ya think pulling the motor would be easier than in cab? i know its do-able in cab but obviously i would like to take the easiest route, although pulling the cab is out..

Well i got the parts coming, but after talking to the dealer again today I'm a bit more frustrated with the whole deal, The diagnostic lead to head gaskets, they tested EGR and said it was all ok! so at 98k i took the truck in for a cold start problem i told them it was loosing coolant and asked them to check it out. at that time they told me there were no coolant leaks.

SO today i called the manager at the dealer and simply asked if there were no visual coolant leaks, why they wouldnt look into EGR or HGs, and he tells me i never asked for a pressure test! What a crock of ****!!! So beings the EGR is ok and there were no VISUAL coolant leaks im thinking ive been running on a bad HG for about 12k miles now.:dunno:

I planned on starting the job tonight but im going to call Ford tomarrow and see what they think..If they wont help, well I'll start on it tomarrow night!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well as i expected the dealer and Ford offered zero help, not surprized but figured i would try anyways. Well i think pulling the cab or the motor, is just out of reach for me without calling in some big favors so i'm going for it in cab, outside, in the driveway! should be fun:thumb: Thanks for all the photos and advice!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts