Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to plan my custom wvo system and I don't know if I should do a dead head system or a return line system. I plan on taking everything out between the tank and the heads and starting fresh. From what I have read, both have their advantages and disadvantages. What do you guys think? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
i vote return. few more parts but might be worth it. ill still technically have a dead head, bothmy oil and D2 will enter the back of the heads (OBS) and coeme out the front. a solenoid will be closed until i push a purge button, which will feed to a tee just before the wvo pump. im not planning on major performance with this truck, and what im putting on is better than stock anyway. with a stock truck im not sure it matters too much either way.

if you do a full return, youll need a good solenoid to switch when you switch pumps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
99 E350. All stock right now. The only performance upgrades I plan are a small chip/program, exhaust and a different air filter/intake tube. I plan on doing the exhaust and intake for a better sounding exhaust and turbo whistle. Not looking for a huge power gain out of them.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Here are a couple points to consider.

1) If a Regulated return is used, be aware that it takes a lot more heat to achieve safe operating temps. Even if it is a closed loop, a large FPHE will be required to get the oil hot enough. ALL heat must be in the oil before it goes ito the heads because the fuel goes thru the heads so fast that it does not have time to heat up.

2) A regulated return is not really necessary with stock injectors.

3) Remember a return valve will be required, howver, it makes for super fast purge times with a regulated return.

4) If a RR is used, I highly recomend the closed loop system with return fuel directed pre-pump, and then thru the system. Plumbed in this fashion, shorter filter life will be experienced because ALL fuel must go thru the filter, most likely numerous times.

5) A RR makes for a very quiet injection with large single shots, I like it for that.......

I run a regulated return on D2 and VO. I'm gathering parts for the GF's Ex while the tank is being fabbed. I will not be running a RR on that truck until stage 2's go in, if I every do it

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vegginpsd

I have 2 questions. Do you know why a RR makes a quieter injection. Do you know how long a RR set up takes to purge and how long a dead head system takes to purge.

For me it, the 2 most important things are making the system as simple as possible and getting the wvo hot and keeping it hot.

I feel like a dead head would do both of these things. Quick question about the RR. When you are purging and you have the D2 flowing into the head and the purge valve open are you just forcing wvo/D2 back into the wvo tank. I imagine you don't have the wvo pump running at this time. Am I correct with all of this? Thanks for your help everyone.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
vegginpsd

I have 2 questions. Do you know why a RR makes a quieter injection. Do you know how long a RR set up takes to purge and how long a dead head system takes to purge.

For me it, the 2 most important things are making the system as simple as possible and getting the wvo hot and keeping it hot.

I feel like a dead head would do both of these things. Quick question about the RR. When you are purging and you have the D2 flowing into the head and the purge valve open are you just forcing wvo/D2 back into the wvo tank. I imagine you don't have the wvo pump running at this time. Am I correct with all of this? Thanks for your help everyone.

R/R is quieter because all 8 injectors are maintaining a consistent and constant pressure and volume.

Purge- R/R---Seconds. Deadhead----Minutes if it all ever clears out.

WVO is forced out of the heads by D2 fuel pressure resulting a minimal amount of D2 in the VO tank, ensuring all vo is clear of the system. A good purge also ensures that cold VO does not get injected into the cylinders at switchover. The VO pump is off during purge.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Were could i find pics of both Dead head and a return system to compare them??

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mike - does a regulated return eliminate the pressure spikes at start-up we get with the split-shot injectors in a deadheaded system?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Mike - does a regulated return eliminate the pressure spikes at start-up we get with the split-shot injectors in a deadheaded system?
I dont recall having this issue when I had stock injectors......:dunno:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well, I always peg my 100psi pressure guage on start-up. Just wondering. I also understand that single-shots may help reduce/eliminate this, too.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
deadhead fits both. with a RR you need extra valves to switch the direction of the return to avoid mixing. also you need to have some regulation after the pump to keep the pressure right. RR is not easy like a deadhead setup.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
RPurge- R/R---Seconds. Deadhead----Minutes if it all ever clears out.

WVO is forced out of the heads by D2 fuel pressure resulting a minimal amount of D2 in the VO tank, ensuring all vo is clear of the system. A good purge also ensures that cold VO does not get injected into the cylinders at switchover. The VO pump is off during purge.
Is that backwards? deadhead purges in seconds since the D2 "flushes" the rails and pushes the VO back to the tank.

if you have a RR you would need to block the looped return and direct the fuel back to the VO tank. You would also need to have the D2 pump on at this time or another valve to pull from the diesel tank.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Is that backwards? deadhead purges in seconds since the D2 "flushes" the rails and pushes the VO back to the tank.

if you have a RR you would need to block the looped return and direct the fuel back to the VO tank. You would also need to have the D2 pump on at this time or another valve to pull from the diesel tank.

No, prettty sure I know what I am talking about.
DEADHEAD without purge valves requires the engine to consume the contents of the rails.
R/R is free flowing, regulated after the heads. Fuel passing thru, at the speed of the pump. A return fuel valve is required after the regulator to direct to which tank (system) the fuel is sent to.

I have a full R/R, with common entry point for VO and D2 on opposite corners of the heads, the other two corners are tied to each side of the Fuelab regulator. Regulator to the valve and thats it. Done in seconds.:nod:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
OK i get it, you are talking about deadhead with NO purge valve. On my setup (and the V3) when you turn off the VO pump and hit the purge valve the d2 is pushed through the rails flushing the VO out. The VO goes out the purge valve on to the VO tank.

I think the OP needs to know that Deadhead without a purge valve IS NOT the same as deadhead with a puge valve. My deadhead system (and the V3) purges in seconds.

·
Registered
239 Posts
OK i get it, you are talking about deadhead with NO purge valve. On my setup (and the V3) when you turn off the VO pump and hit the purge valve the d2 is pushed through the rails flushing the VO out. The VO goes out the purge valve on to the VO tank.

I think the OP needs to know that Deadhead without a purge valve IS NOT the same as deadhead with a puge valve. My deadhead system (and the V3) purges in seconds.
Good clarification. My heads and lines purge in 12 seconds when I open the purge valve. The VO pump is off, the diesel pump is on and the valve back at the V3 is open, so the diesel pump is pushing diesel throughout those lines all the way back to where the valve is open - even all the way back to the tank, really.

The V3 then idles the motor automatically for 1:30 (usually while I'm walking inside and people are wondering if I'm going to shut off the Ex), which burns off any veg in the cups and injectors - or that didn't make the purge for whatever reason. I never have any hard starts, so I'm pretty confident there's no veg remaining.

In a non-automated system, you'd just need to open the valve for about 10-14 seconds depending on the length of your lines and drive in the last minute or so on diesel. Or install a "turbo cool-down timer" to do the idling automatically for you just like how the V3 does.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm still undecided, deadhead with a purge or RR. After reading through this thread I will defiantly not do a deadhead w/no purge. I had no idea it would take that long to clear the wvo, being able to shut down in a couple seconds sounds nice. Both systems seam to have their pros and cons. Does anyone else have anything to add.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.