Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving home last night I noticed my tranny temp and coolant temp gauges on the cluster were not lit up but everything else is. The gauges were still working and the red needle was lit up. I am pretty sure it must just be a bulb for the green on the gauges that has burnt out. I am going to take it apart today and have a look but I was wondering if anybody knows what size bulb it takes so I can buy one before taking the dash apart. Thanks

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I don't know what they are called but they look like this(providing they didn't change them since 99:dunno:)

·
Registered
186 Posts
i think those are a 194 bulb. does anyone know how many are in the gauge cluster in an 04? thinking bout changing from green to red

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
i want to know what they are for a 05. i want mine changed to white. thanks

·
Registered
523 Posts
The bulbs are clear, it's the gauge face that has the coating distinguishing the green illumination.

A member on here did his own write up where he used a razor blade to scrape away the coating then he tied in with LEDs from autozone to the bulb sockets and hot glued the elements. They were pretty bright and the light pattern was smooth. Btw he used white LEDs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Any update on replacing the dash illumination light bulbs? I have this exact problem, where the tranny and engine temp gages will stay dark, with only the needles lighting red. Bothers me a little so I wanna find out how to replace it. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Julian

·
Registered
52 Posts
I too have the same issue on my 06 but i pulled the dash and found out the bulbs have changed to a little tiny quarter turn style bulb. not even sure how to describe it to the guys at auto zone.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Me too. I pulled the cluster out last night. Any tips on how to remove those bulbs? I couldn't get one to come out. I tried twisting and pulling, but couldn't get it to budge...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I too have the same issue on my 06 but i pulled the dash and found out the bulbs have changed to a little tiny quarter turn style bulb. not even sure how to describe it to the guys at auto zone.
cb, how hard was it to remove the dash and check the bulbs? Any tips on getting that done? mine is an '06, too.
thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pulling the dash/cluster is fairly easy.
- tilt steering wheel as low as it will go
- put shifter into L
- give the dash a tug (I started beside the headlight switch), and move your way along the top, then finish with the bottom. Takes a firm pull some times.
- unplug all the connections, no need to worry about mixing them up, they only fit in their original socket
- lift the dash out, carefully clearing the steering column (electronic climate control is attached to the dash you are pulling out)
- there are four screws (one at each corner) that will require a socket (not sure what size) to be un-screwed from the cluster itself
- carefully begin to lift it out, then pop the shift indicator needle assembly out of the bottom, then pull the two connectors at the top of the cluster off (they have a little rocker that pulls down as the plug comes out)
- flip the cluster over, and you will see all the little sockets that contain the bulbs
- to remove the socket/bulb, give a 1/4 turn counter clockwise, now using a precision screwdriver lift one side of the tiny little tabs that is kinda clipped into the cluster, turn a smidge more, then do the other
- replace with socket/bulb (all one piece) with part #5F9Z-13B765-BA

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry guys it took so long to get back. After getting to the dash cluster i pulled it out and just quarter turned the little white plastic pegs that i guessed at.and just pulled it out. i havent even had a chance to get any replacements.

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Those are sweet! just by changeing the bulbs in a 06 will that change the color? or is there more to it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Those are sweet! just by changeing the bulbs in a 06 will that change the color? or is there more to it?
I'm guessing it won't change the color unless you scrape away the green. I was thinking of just getting the LED's to replace the stock lights, ought to brighten it up. If I can get the green scraped off, I think I'll go with a color set! :)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Let me know if you get it to work. I'm interested in doing this also. Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts