Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use a Dash Cam? I am looking into picking one up and wanted to see what everyone uses. I want something discreet and not overly flashy. Some of the ones I have seen on Amazon are all Chinese knock offs. Looking to stay under $200. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
21,627 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use one, was $90 and it works perfect, full 1080p video, had it for about a year now, maybe longer, zero problems. Its a Panoroma knock off from China, since I can't see it from inside, forget that its there. IF you need info on this kind of stuff, the guys at Dashcamtalk are very helpful. I also use a Lukas in my Motorhome, works great as well, but was almost $300. Images are same so not difference really but the price.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I installed the Lukas in my truck last March after seeing a big accident on the freeway. I have not witnessed anything since to get me to pull my recordings to see what recorded. Just seems to work

Mine has both a front and rear camera

·
Blessed
664 Posts
What would be the purpose in having one? The only thing I could think of is if someone cut me off or caused an accident, then I'd have it when I took them to court, other than that it seems like it would be more of deterrent for thieves in parking lot (if they felt they were being recorded, they might skip messing with my truck. Just wondering.

·
AMERICA!
22,939 Posts
@Rodslinger has been running dash cams for quite awhile now, maybe he will chime in.

Reactions: john galt

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
I just got my 2nd Lukas camera. I put my original one in my wife's car now and this updated one has Lane Departure warning, collision warning as well as a feature where if I'm stopped in traffic, at a red light etc and the car in front of me starts moving, it makes a little coo coo sound to let me know traffic started moving (incase I'm looking down or not paying attention).

Why get a dash cam?? Protection!! Not only while I'm driving (reckless people around me) but also protection to cover me in an accident (other person claims it was my fault). Both cameras are 1080p and about 130 degree viewing with time/date and speed.

Not only that, these cameras have a power feature where it will continue to record with the screen off when the ignition is off. It will detect motion and record a 30 second event for each motion and also detects impacts incase someone in a parking lot dings my door or does a hit and run.

·
Administrator
21,627 Posts
What would be the purpose in having one? The only thing I could think of is if someone cut me off or caused an accident, then I'd have it when I took them to court, other than that it seems like it would be more of deterrent for thieves in parking lot (if they felt they were being recorded, they might skip messing with my truck. Just wondering.

You live a good life if you cannot justify this

·
AMERICA!
22,939 Posts
Sounds like blwnsmoke has got a nice setup. I had no idea there were cameras out there that did all that, but I have never looked into them too much.

I have one of Rodslinger's old dash cams that I need to find a mount for and get it installed.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Lukas is one of the best brands out there on the market.. they are not your typical $99 Walmart special.

The 9370 I have in my wife's car now has built in wifi so you can connect your phone or tablet to it and review video or live footage. The 9390 I got for my truck with all the Lane departure etc stuff I believe is first to market.

The lane departure and the "coo coo" work very well. The crash detection needs some work and they keep coming out with software update to make it better. I've disabled it because it goes off too often, especially with not being able to determine the difference between cars in front of me going the same direction and oncoming cars.

Here is my 9370 review with pics and video. Disregard the MAC issues, that has been resolved and works flawlessly now.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/review-lukas-9370.16177/

Here is someone else's review of the 9390. The 9390 doesn't have the built in wifi which was a disappointment but works really well.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/review-lukas-lk-9390-ad-dual-1080p-dashcam-sony-imx322-3-5-touch-screen-and-gps.15126/

You can buy from Lukas Direct | Your Lukas Store

I've been dealing with one of the owners for many months now and they are fantastic.

They come with a power cable with 3 wires. One ties into an accessory line, one a constant and then the negative. So when you shut the truck off, it detects the accessory power has shut off and goes into parking mode (motion/impact recording only) to prevent battery drain on the vehicle. You can also set it to shut off at any voltage at 0.1v intervals as a backup. When you start the truck, it then senses the accessory power is back and goes to full recording.

·
Premium Member
14,386 Posts
My wife runs one like I gave Jeff and it works GREAT and the price is sweet. I'm now running my GoPro but it's not ideal for a dash cam and night vision is non existent. You really need one that has good night vision.
And trust me it will pay for itself the first time some jack wagon hits YOU and tries to say it was your fault. They look pretty damn stupid when their insurance company and the police see the video.......just sayin. >:)

·
AMERICA!
22,939 Posts
Lukas is one of the best brands out there on the market.. they are not your typical $99 Walmart special.

The 9370 I have in my wife's car now has built in wifi so you can connect your phone or tablet to it and review video or live footage. The 9390 I got for my truck with all the Lane departure etc stuff I believe is first to market.

The lane departure and the "coo coo" work very well. The crash detection needs some work and they keep coming out with software update to make it better. I've disabled it because it goes off too often, especially with not being able to determine the difference between cars in front of me going the same direction and oncoming cars.

Here is my 9370 review with pics and video. Disregard the MAC issues, that has been resolved and works flawlessly now.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/review-lukas-9370.16177/

Here is someone else's review of the 9390. The 9390 doesn't have the built in wifi which was a disappointment but works really well.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/review-lukas-lk-9390-ad-dual-1080p-dashcam-sony-imx322-3-5-touch-screen-and-gps.15126/

You can buy from Lukas Direct | Your Lukas Store

I've been dealing with one of the owners for many months now and they are fantastic.

They come with a power cable with 3 wires. One ties into an accessory line, one a constant and then the negative. So when you shut the truck off, it detects the accessory power has shut off and goes into parking mode (motion/impact recording only) to prevent battery drain on the vehicle. You can also set it to shut off at any voltage at 0.1v intervals as a backup. When you start the truck, it then senses the accessory power is back and goes to full recording.
What does the unit use to sense an impact?

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
They have accelerometers inside to measure the acceleration. An impact - even slight - is pretty easy to detect.

The higher end cams have 3-axis accelerometers (up-down, side-to-side, fore-aft). Cheapo dash cams might only have one axis just to turn them on and off automatically.

Reactions: john galt

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
i Have a Polaroid Wife got it for me off HSN, or QVC, for $79.
no nite vision but has 1080p, and the G force instant save if you are in a accident. that will save 3 min of the video.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Some type of shock sensor built in. Hit a good pothole, speed bump or close your door too hard and it will trigger an event recording.

There are different levels of sensitivity to adjust if needed.

·
AMERICA!
22,939 Posts
Very interesting...

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the garmin dash cam. It's kinda obvious but does all the shock stuff. I just plug it into the cig lighter sometimes I have to turn it on after it got to hot or something but it's nice to switch between vehicles and if some jack a$$ is messing with you and gets next to you I just reach up and turn the camera towards them and they usually stop pretty quick. It was about $200 a year ago. There is another one that records speed and direction and imprints it onto the video but I usually go 5 to 10mph over the speed limit and didn't want to incriminate myself showing someone the video. ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1460648199.248510.jpg

1 - 20 of 40 Posts