Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here`s the deal; I was talking with one of the guys i work with about a week ago. He was talking about building up his jeep, so I asked him if he knew any local places where i could pick up a D60 for relatively cheap. He named off a few places (most of which I have already heard of), plus a few I hadn`t that I might still take a look at.

But then he also suggested maybe looking into swapping a D44 HD out of an older F250, because they were cheaper and somewhat easier to find. Well lo and behold, I checked our local craigslist, and found several that (I believe) would fit my truck, correct gear ratio and all, for about 1/4 of the price of a D60.

My main concern is, will the D44 HD hold up to the weight of a PSD? I don`t want to put the time and effort into swapping a 44 under there only to have to spend more time, money and effort swapping out a broken 44 with a D60.

I don`t do any hardcore wheeling. My truck sees some pretty technical stuff at times, but when it does I`m crawling through it like a snail, not trying to baja through it :hehe:. I also hardly pull anything, and if I do it`s usually our ski boat.

Thoughts? Opinions? Sorry if there is any misspelled words or anything that doesn`make sense, I`m typing this off of my enV3 :hehe:

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
If you are building a Jeep you would be ok. But to put one under our trucks I would not do it.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm... that`s what I was afraid of hearing :doh:

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
My truck has a Dana 44HD factory. It has held up perfectly fine after nearly 150,000 miles. Plus I've done some serious wheeling.

That said, I wouldnt swap one in.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Keep looking for a d-60 u will be better off and much happier.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I did fine doing some serious offroading with a '72 F-250 Hi-Boy and an HD 44 (460 gasser, 40" tires, nearly 600 HP) but given the choice I'd have rather had a 60. Given the additional weight of the PSD, I'd pass on the 44 as well.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I guess that answers my question haha. Dana 60 it is! Now I just gotta save my pennies for it :doh:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Dont worry the dana 60 is all bolt on... and woth every penny call local junk yards and see if they have whole trucks there and ask them to hot wrench the front frame clip that way when its time to do the swap ull have everything. Thats what i did i got a front section from an 89' idi f-350 for 600. also remember to swap in all new ployurethan bushings. I was lazy and didnt do it and had a HELL of a death wobble. :-(

·
Registered
275 Posts
Will a HD44 hold up? Probably.
Is it worth it when you could just swap in a 60? Nope.

As an ASE cert. mechanic, somebody who hasn't owned a gas burner as a primary vehicle since I was 17, and a guy who's main hobby is rock crawling, I know a thing or two about axles and swapping them into things. Go with a 60, you'll be much happier. The one I put in my last truck (a 95 PSD) came out of an 89 F350, and other than the brake caliper design I was pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm... sounds like some pretty solid advice there, lol. I`m working on saving for the 60, but bills and tuition aren`t helping my cause :doh:

Sorry for being so late, I`ve been vacationing in Mexico for the last 9 days :haha:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Gotta go and make me jealous, eh? lol. I haven't been on a vacation in years.

Anyway, you can get a HD 44 and upgrade the shafts, tubes, knuckles, joints, and truss the housing, and it'll end up being stronger than a stock 60 and will hold up just fine to our engines and bigger tires. But by the time you have that much money into it, you could have gotten a 60 and given it an upgrade or two, and you still will only have an 8.5" ring gear (compared to the 60's 9.75").

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't realize how bad I needed a vacation from the normal rut until I actually took one. I felt so refreshed and ready to work today! I wasn't dreading going in at 6:45 and watching the clock all day until it was time to punch out!

But you do have a good point. I guess I'll start saving my pennies for the 60... after I pay tuition :doh:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah, I'm getting a vacation at the end of October. Kinda. I mean there's some mountains, and lots of sand. Just like Hawaii, but without the water lol.

Just saw you're in CO... a 60 can be had round here for a few hundred bucks if you look hard enough. What school are you goin to?

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well for now my major interest is Automotive so I'm taking night classes for that at Front Range Community College while working full time during the day.

Are you serious about a few hundred bucks? I've seen 60's for that cheap out of like older Chevy's, but never for a Ford. For a few hundred I'd be all over it!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Nice. I went through the auto program at Arapahoe Community College and got my ASE cert... it's the one that the dealerships send their techs to. Great field of study, IMO. How far into the program are you?

I've seen 80's F350 fronts around for $500 give or take a hundred or so. Had an 89 F350 front in my F250. You just gotta keep your eyes peeled, and don't limit yourself to craigslist. CL's good and all but there's better places for parts like these. Go around to the smaller junkyards that don't see a whole lot of traffic like the big ones do, and check sites like CO4x4 and Pirate... stuff pops up there a lot.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually start the program on the... 21st (I think?). So not very far into it haha.

From what I've seen, $600 seems to be kind of an average price. It's not bad, but being a 19yo college student doesn't leave me with much cash left over :doh:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Lol yeah I hear ya, I'd be in the same place if I hadn't joined the Army when I was 17.

You'll have a ton of fun with it man... the worst part is the electrical IMO, but it's not that bad. Our final was completely disassembling, reassembling, and then installing an engine and making it run. Of course, one of our group members (3 man assigned per engine) was being hired on by Ralph Schomp BMW, so we were assigned the damned BMW engine... the most complicated one available. Had to use compressed air and a jig to set up the cams and valves and whatnot right. Never gonna work on a foreign car again lol.

Yeah 600 sounds about right. I used to think it was a lot too, but in comparison with the rest of the country it ain't bad... I've seen people excited to find one for 1200 in some states.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That sounds like a royal PITA, knowing my luck I'll wind up in a situation like that... Time will tell I guess!

I guess if that's the case I can't complain too much. Once I pay for all that good college stuff I should be able so start building up my savings again, so I can finally start building up this truck the way I want it.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I paid 900 for mine. And I didnt check the gearing so I had to change that too :doh:

But it had kingpins best choice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts