Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

long time reader... first time poster..
help a brother out.
last weekend 4wheel drive stop working and left me stuck in the mud. It wasn't all bad though, my gf was with me and we filled the time

heres the skinny:

-i have warn premium manual hubs, and the old vac lines capped
-4x4 light comes on on the dash

-i can see the front drive shaft spinning under the truck, the hubs are locked in, the light is on on the dash but the damn front wheels dont turn! not even a little.
any ideas?

No sure if its related or not but a few weeks ago i hit a bump on the road and felt a strong vibration in the front end. it went away in about 30 seconds. it has happened again several times recently. same thing all the time. hit a bump, strong vibration, then goes away in a little. i've heard needle bearing may be a cause. i cant seem to isolate it side to side i think it might be both. Was planning to replace both front wheel hubs at some point, hoping that would fix it.

truck is a 2004 with 120K on the clock. 3inch lift on 35s

any help is much appreciated gents!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

Neither one of the front wheels would turn. just the rears were spinning.

Again, the 4x4 light was on on the dash, hubs were manually locked in and i could see the front driveshaft spinning into the front diff it just wasnt powering the front wheels at all?

never had a problem with it until recently. just seemed to stop working all of a sudden.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Currently working on my locking hubs. After banging in mine for awhile it Seems something not allowing the outer locking hub from engaging and pushing the hub body into the driveshaft on your front.

I would take out/check bearings and locknuts aren't protruding out away from the pumpkin not allowing the body to engage or the body is bad.

Repack grease lube up/try again. That's what I would do.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Herd alot of negative feed back about Warn hubs. Probly tore the gears out of them, if they were manually locked might have messed up the spline gear on the hub itself. Hubs are aluminum and axle is cast. Hub will go first

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats kinda what i was thinking... the spline in the warn hubs or the spline on the axle shaft gotta be messed up. one of the two...

i guess i'll tear them apart tonight and have a look.

is there anything else i should check? whats this stuff i hear about the relays and fuses? As long as my light is on and the front drive shaft is turning, am i safe to assume its probably not something electrical like that?

Thanks again for the replies guys. i really appreciate everyones help

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
The chances of the splines on the axle being messed are slim to none, gaurantee it is the hub splines. Need new hubs stick with OEM. Alot of customers choose OEM over aftermarket. Let me know what you need.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
If the hubs are good (jack front end, lock BOTH sides, rotate drive shaft, check for rotation), what are the odds that the transfer case wasn't engaged and front shaft was just free wheeling?

One of my x-fer case relays popped once, but I can't recall if light came on.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Actually, it's not that great of an idea. If hubs are locked and driveshaft spins, front tires almost have to spin. The freewheeling idea would only work if the hubs were broken, or there was a catastrophic failure in differential.

Because it's an open diff, only one hub has to be broken and you won't get any front axle action.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Disassembled both warn hubs and they look completely fine. Axle shaft splines look fine.

Jacked up the front, locked in both hubs, turned the driveshaft by hand and tires didn't spin.

I flicked the ESOF switch into 4x4 and the front driveshaft engaged and I wasn't able to turn it by hand anymore.

This tells me the hubs are ok, transfer case seems to be working ok, that means it has to be the front diff right?
I'm a little nervous to tear into that myself. Might have to take it in.

What could be screwed up in the front diff?

If its shot and needs replaced should I look into a locker?

Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Drain/remove front cover, lock hubs, rotate drive shaft. This part may require help, look to see if ring gear is rotating, if not, unlock hubs, roll ring gear and look for damage. Also look at spider gears in differential. Look for a bind or anything not moving. If everything is moving, rotate each tire (hubs locked), watching for ring gear rotation. This would show a broken axle shaft or more likely broken hub. Since hubs are more or less built to be the weak link, I'm still going with broken hub.

Unless you've been beating the dog piss out of your truck, (jumping it, rock crawling, slamming through rutts) I'd be surprised something was broken in the axle.

Based on cost, unless you're a hardcore wheeler, front lockers are not practical. They change the entire dynamic of how the truck reacts off road.

·
Registered
365 Posts
how will front locker change the dynamic? be the same when its off wouldnt it? and then if you get stuck in mud or snow, real bad you can lock em up to help you. i guess this is a air locker or electric only

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
how will front locker change the dynamic? be the same when its off wouldnt it? and then if you get stuck in mud or snow, real bad you can lock em up to help you. i guess this is a air locker or electric only
Selectable lockers are the only way to go up front if you must lock it up. It doesn't take much pressure to lock a mechanical locker and then good luck turning. If you think lockers are expensive, price an ARB or electric locker.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.