Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im getting my dads 05 f350 with the 6.0 and it has 250,000 miles on it and the only problems he had is he dropped two injectors but that's it so should I just keep it stock or should I look into a arb head stud kit and straight pipe or what you tell me what would be best in your opinion

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
First off, Welcome to the Org.
If it's got 250 on it and has been a good truck to your dad,
I would keep it just like it is tell something goes wrong then
get it fixed like you want it to be.
Doug

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
Yeah. The monitoring device is absolutely essential. I'm guessing your dad did pretty good maintenance on this thing to keep it running as well as he has for as long as he has. Maintain this, get the Scangauge II or CTS on it to monitor your FICM/Oil Temp/Coolant Temp, and I don't see why you can't get another 150,000 miles out of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. The monitoring device is absolutely essential. I'm guessing your dad did pretty good maintenance on this thing to keep it running as well as he has for as long as he has. Maintain this, get the Scangauge II or CTS on it to monitor your FICM/Oil Temp/Coolant Temp, and I don't see why you can't get another 150,000 miles out of it.
B V Thank you and ya he has the truck clean as a whistle always getting the maitmance done and he baby's the snot outta this truck and is there anything else I should look into like the tranny since it has 250 k and still shifts smooth see it's a wonder this truck is so great it has at least 4000 pounds of tools at all times and brakes are good suspension is good tires are lasting 50,000 miles or so well not the first set those only lasted 15 k and my dad got the truck with 13k on it :) gotta love burn outs up big long hills

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So im getting my dads 05 f350 with the 6.0 and it has 250,000 miles on it and the only problems he had is he dropped two injectors but that's it so should I just keep it stock or should I look into a arb head stud kit and straight pipe or what you tell me what would be best in your opinion
The mods I wanna do are just straight forward to fix the problems and make it sound better I was gonna go put a custom cold air intake to start then I was gonna take the silencer ring outta the turbo and the takle the head stud issue with the arp kit after that I was gonna gut the cat and put a 5" cat back on it I didnt wanna go with tunes I just wanted it plan simple stuff I can do with a buddy and not have to take it to a shop although there is a diesel shop in town I was also thinking about the egr delete and if any of you guys could help me get a light tune just to blow a little smoke cuz who wants a diesel that doesnt blow smoke and ima defanitly look at the gauges that sounds like it's a must thank You guys y'all are a big help

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
The mods I wanna do are just straight forward to fix the problems and make it sound better I was gonna go put a custom cold air intake to start then I was gonna take the silencer ring outta the turbo and the takle the head stud issue with the arp kit after that I was gonna gut the cat and put a 5" cat back on it I didnt wanna go with tunes I just wanted it plan simple stuff I can do with a buddy and not have to take it to a shop although there is a diesel shop in town I was also thinking about the egr delete and if any of you guys could help me get a light tune just to blow a little smoke cuz who wants a diesel that doesnt blow smoke and ima defanitly look at the gauges that sounds like it's a must thank You guys y'all are a big help
Don't even worry about the other stuff until you get gauges/monitor first. This will tell you if your ECT/EOT delta is too high and you need to replace the oil cooler before it wipes out the EGR cooler and headgaskets. You need to check the health of the motor before you do anything, the factory oil,coolant,trans gauges are JUNK and should never be trusted. A weak FICM or HFCM (fuel pump) can destroy expensive injectors.

Then depending on your ECT/EOT delta, if you need to replace your oil cooler, you might as well upgrade the known issues with the '05 while the motor is apart.

Forget about a aftermarket cold air intake, your not gaining any HP, the stocked will support enough air to reach 500hp. Your not gonna find a CAI that can filter as good as the stocker, CAI will allow too much dirt to pass thru and destroy the turbo over time.

Headgaskets usually fail do to the EGR/oil coolers failing or overboosting.

You can't just pop out the silencer ring in the '05's, it will have to be machined out and you really won't gain any whistle. The whistle comes from the turbine wheel (exhaust side). You want whistle, get an '03 turbo or Powermax turbo.

Smoke is just wasted fuel, it will also soot up the VGT that will cause issues in the long run.

Once you take care of the gauge/monitor, and have a healthy motor, you'll be ready for the fun stuff. The best tuner for the 6.0 is the SCT with custom tunes.

·
Registered
300 Posts

Not to be rude but......a little puncuation goes a long way.

Take the advice you have been given and start with a lot of reading. First purchases are gauges or a monitor and a coolant filter.

I have a diesel that hardly smokes.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
if any of you guys could help me get a light tune just to blow a little smoke cuz who wants a diesel that doesnt blow smoke
Thats exactly why other people hate diesels is because of comments like that!!

·
Registered
933 Posts

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
2 injectors with 250,000miles. VERY GOOD!

Arp head studs at browns diesel are $398.

Do a good coolant flush.

change the diff fluids.

Change the transmission oil, check out my link in my sig.

coolant filter

edge insight, scan gague, insight CS, or insight CTS. all are good.

Dont gut yoru cat, get a delete pipe. here are some cat delete and 5" cat back links.
cat delete pipe:
$34
http://www.mkmcustoms.com/diamondeyecatdeletepipess03-0760lpowerstroke.aspx
$37
http://performancetruckproducts.com...5-optional-off-road-pipe-ford-03-06-6-0l.html
$54
http://www.puredieselpower.com/catalog/0307-ford-60l-powerstroke-diesel-cat-delete-pipe-p-726.html

5" cat back
$260 mo muffler
http://performancetruckproducts.com...r-single-ford-f250-f350-03-07-6-0l-27515.html
$292 with free flow muffler
http://performancetruckproducts.com...k-single-ford-f250-f350-03-07-6-0l-24357.html

·
Registered
728 Posts
Don't hack up a perfectly good turbo, sell it or keep it as a backup! Like others have said get an 03 turbo or a Powermax, I love mine she sure does whistle! A 5" turbo back straight pipe will make some pretty sweet noise.
Get monitoring your truck before adding any tuners. If you want smoke don't get tunes from Matt at Gearhead he is against smoke and for good reason...its a waste!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Drive it like your dad did and get used to maintaining it for awhile. Do like the others here said; get a set of gauges and watch the EOT and ECT delta. Do a cooling system flush, if your dad has not done it in the last 50,000 miles.
Pay close attention to the symptoms and read the forums for possible solutions.
Don't throw parts at it because in the end, if you do't know whether you've fixed something it's still there lurking. This truck can get expensive fast. And if you think I mean the parts to fix issues mentioned on this forum, I'm not. I'm talking about fixing the wrong thing and having the motor blow up on you. You don't want that, so exercise good diagnostic techniques, even if it means asking someone on the forum to coach you through the whole process. There are those that are willing to help.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Oh yeah keep up on the 30k full trans flushes with Mercon LV or SP, to keep that trans running strong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1. go buy a scan gauge 2
2. Replace fluids in tranny and rear end
3. Watch it for a while make shure everything is good
4. Gut cat and 5" cat back with muff delete
5. Arp head studs
6. Egr delete
7. Sct tuner
This is the info I put together
And the steps 1-7 that I plan to take

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just wanna thank u all being 16 this web site is a big help I probably woulda just done what I wantded and end up in the whole having to get a new motor so thank u and god bless

·
Registered
4,341 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Well since nobody else has said it I will. The truck has 250k on the stock head gaskets and head bolts. Leave them alone unless you HAVE TO change the head gaskets. You can run a 375-380 rwhp tune pretty safely on the stock head bolts. Make sure your cooling system is up to snuff and switch it to a CAT EC-1 rated ELC coolant, delete the egr or get a BPD egr cooler and as long as you don't over boost it the head gaskets and head bolts will be fine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts