Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok pros just need some help with some thread sizes for a DIY regulated return.

Here’s the plan till I can do a complete fuel system. I’m doing M12x1.5 90 degree to 6an fittings out the back of the heads to 6an stainless hose to a fass 0-100 FPR. That’s the easy part. So what I want to do is find the thread pattern from the factory return line so I can use that as the return from the regulator and just cap off the factory FPR with a fitting. This will feed from the front of the head and return from the back. Its about 50$ in fittings and a little over 100$ for the regulator.

In the long run I plan to run a sump to an Ad150 to the factory pump to the front of the heads. This will let me remove almost all of the factory fuel system. As it stands, I spent my budget on studs and the standpipes and some tools so the rest of the system will have to wait till I save some more money. I just want to get the back of the heads while I'm doing the studs so it won’t be so hard when I have the rest of the parts.

So what I really need to know is the return line thread pattern and if anyone has some insight into my plan I'm all ears!

EDIT**********************************************************

After doing mucho research, here is my current parts list plan, this doesnt include my plan for the feeding part this is just the parts list for the return.

This is my parts list for my el cheapo quality regulated return. This what has worked for me, it may not work for you(disclaimer). This is for the regulated return only. You could either do additional fittings for the front of the heads if you do a complete fuel system, or you could cap off the factory return with m16x1.5 plug. This regulated return uses the factory return line, you could modify it to use your own hose if you wanted all the way back to the tank.

2x Earl's Performance 949092ERL AN to Metric Swivel Adapter Fittings (13.95$ each)
Earl's Performance 949092ERL - Earl's Performance AN to Metric Swivel Adapter Fittings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

5x summit Racing SUM-220690B Fitting, Hose End, Straight, -6 AN Hose to Female -6 AN (4.88$ each)
Summit Racing SUM-220690B - Summit Racing® Hose Ends - Overview - SummitRacing.com

1x FASS Fuel Pressure Regulator FPR-1001 (141$)
FASS Fuel Pressure Regulator

2x Summit Racing SUM-220649B Fitting, Adapter, Straight, Male -6 AN to Male 1/2 in. NPT(3.95$ each)
Summit Racing SUM-220649B - Summit Racing® AN to NPT Adapter Fittings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

1x Earl's Performance AT982268ERL Fitting, 90 Degree, -6 AN Male to 1/2 in. NPT Male (15.95$)
Earl's Performance AT982268ERL - Earl's Performance AN to NPT Adapter Fittings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

1x Russell Performance xxxxx - Push-On EFI, Straight, Male -6 AN, Quick-Connect 5/16 in
Russell Performance xxxxx - Russell Push-On EFI Fittings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

About 15-20 feet of hose of your choosing, I recommend stainless Teflon for on top of the engine, and you can do something cheaper for the return line( to the HFCM). So a total not counting the hose is:

230$

this could be less if you choose a different regulator.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
private message Pizza Pig. Greg is great help for all things fuel system. Never know, might need his help in the future. I just txt the guy and bam!, facts in my inbox.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
I would run a fresh 3/8 line back to front of the HFCM, put a -6AN Female on the hose to one of these

then just plug it into the return tube on the HFCM since you are going to keep the HFCM.

The piece is an Earl's or Russell fuel line adapter. You can get it from Summit or Jeg's.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a decent idea, what size is that? Also still need to plug the factory FPR, do you know the thread size so I can stick a plug in there?

Reactions: jbaum02

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
what mitch posted above is exactly what i will be using in my regulated return kits. It makes life so much easier than having to deal with hardline adapter fittings. Plugging the stock return off and removing the entire stock return line makes things easier.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nm on the size, 3/8, reading is fundamental. Just need the plug for the stock FPR and I'll be set.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
plug for return port on fuel bowl is m16x1.5... i just picked on up at advance auto today for my custom rr... cost me 2 dollars lol

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I'm talking about!

G2shuck, can you describe you system with parts breakdown and mayb some pics? That would be immensely helpful.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Subscribed. Lookin into makin one for mine as well. Good luck

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok hers the fittings that I know so far.
Heads are m12x1.5
Fuel bowl plug is m16x1.5

I plan to use 6an fittings throughout so far I need 2 90* m12x1.5 fittings for the head, 6anstainless hose with 6an end fittings. Then fittings for the fast 0/100 regulator. Then 6an hose to the 6an to 3/8 fuel hose adapter and a m16x1.5 plug for the factory FPR.

Clear as mud?

This is of course temporary until I can afford the air dog 150, sump, and the rest of the hoses and fittings.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That complicated huh?

Well my spousal unit has dictated that it's movie time so I gotta listen to the boss. I'll try to get a hold of you another time.

I appreciate all the friendly people on this site, with out you all, well I would have more money.

Reactions: FordDieselDude

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will do, it also seems that I left my phone at work. Super

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well before I can get the low down from g2shuck, anyone else got ideas? I think I have a pretty decent base that will be easy to upgrade later but I'm always down for good ideas.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That sucks
Ehh I haves wife and baby, no one calls me anymore that doesn't have the wife's number. Hence the need to spend some quality time under the hood!

·
Motor Head.
1,767 Posts
subscribed

·
Motor Head.
1,767 Posts
subscribed

·
Registered
726 Posts
Sub this is a killer money saver