Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just thought that came across my mind today. i just did the diy intake mod on my 95 f350 and next im doing an intercooler but i was thinking to make an air box for my intake and re routing the ac into the box and just running max ac while you drive. i dont know how well it would would but just a thought. just wanted to hear some other thoughts on it?

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Where would the freon run

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
i would definitely say that is going to be a no gain mod there.....not only that it will be a negative mod, running the AC actally robs your engine of power.

not trying to be mean, but are you seriously considering this?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha no im not seriously considering it. it was just a thought. im buying an intercooler tomorrow

·
Registered
47 Posts
pressure x volume / temperature = pressure x volume / temperature

That is the physics law. Once the air hits the turbo and builds pressure, the temperature goes up. Meaning, a "cold air" intake will not gain you much. The intercooler on the other hand, will cool down the already pressurized air and will help getting colder air into the engine.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
what you're talking about would have no performance gain, more than likely a performance loss, and a higher cab tempterature.

something that does work, which a lot of the gen 2 Lightning guys are a fan of, is what's called a Killer Chiller.

those trucks utilize a water-air intercooler core, located below the supercharger (roots or twin screw type) in the valley of the motor, inside the lower intake manifold.

Stock, an electric pump, pumps water through that intercooler core, and into a heat exchanger (think small radiator) behind the front bumper to cool the water back off before it goes back to the intercooler.

The Killer Chiller uses the A/C system to cool the water itself, allowing it to reach below ambient temperatures before it goes back through the intercooler underneath the supercharger.

Just adding the Killer Chiller to the stock system, usually results in lower air temperatures post supercharger than the guys that run bigger single pass intercoolers, bigger lines, bigger resevoirs, and bigger heat exchangers. It works pretty good.

For a PSD, the only way I can see that type of setup working, is instead of adding a big air-air intercooler behind the grill like we all do, is to use a water-air intercooler located wherever you like, with that water being run through a heat exchanger and a Killer Chiller setup. Although there is no bolt-in anything like that made for these trucks, it would all have to be custom made.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
This mod would not gain you anything but a hot cab...which I think someone already mentioned.

But I'll give ya ten points for trying to think outside the box...or maybe this was inside the box so to speak? :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

·
Premium Member
23,192 Posts
Well if ya use an air-water intercooler set up yes in theory it would work using the a/c to cool off the vehicles pressurized air going in the motor, that sounds like a good idea actually, someone should build it and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Well if ya use an air-water intercooler set up yes in theory it would work using the a/c to cool off the vehicles pressurized air going in the motor, that sounds like a good idea actually, someone should build it and see what happens.
No, you don't use the a/c to cool off the air, you use the a/c to cool off the water going through the air-to-water intercooler, preferably after it's gone thru a heat exchanger.

And I'm not talking just blowing cold air from the a/c onto a water line.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts