Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... newbie here looking for some info. I'm currently in a F-150 and im looking to step up to the F-250s. I want to take an 08' f250 and swap in a 5.9l cummins commonrail and make some big power. I have been able to find some info on 05 and 06 swaps but no 08 and newer. Has anyone seen this done before? Or could point me in the right direction? I have nothing against powerstroke... but I think it would be cool to do something different. An f250 with a cummins has always been my dream truck!

Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think I might have seen a thread about that on cummins forum. I'd check in there engine swaps section, i'm sure its there.

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
You are embarking on a very expensive project, I would suggest you do alot of research before you attempt this.

Im currious why you want to get rid of the 6.4, they are making wicked power, there isnt really a need for a cummins transplant. These motors are making well over 500hp at the wheels with just a tunner

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
If you're dead set on swapping the 5.9 in place of a 6.4 it really shouldn't be much if any different than a swap in a slightly older truck, say an 05-07...:dunno:

Once the factory motor, trans, and wiring are out of the way it should be about the same as any other superduty. I will also agree with a hell of an expensive path. I've seen it first hand. A guy I know just paid for a turn key 5.9CR swap in his '07. He now has 700+ on fuel at the cost of about $25 grand...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're dead set on swapping the 5.9 in place of a 6.4 it really shouldn't be much if any different than a swap in a slightly older truck, say an 05-07...:dunno:

Once the factory motor, trans, and wiring are out of the way it should be about the same as any other superduty. I will also agree with a hell of an expensive path. I've seen it first hand. A guy I know just paid for a turn key 5.9CR swap in his '07. He now has 700+ on fuel at the cost of about $25 grand...
I didnt know if it would be that much different or not. Im definitely trying to do my research but I havent found much up until this point. Its worth the investment IMO. $25K is a small price to pay for a great engine, 700hp on fuel, and better reliability. Heck.. I was reading some guys are paying $25K to put a 6.1L hemi into there jeep wranglers!!

·
Bring On The Snow
1,650 Posts
The 6.4 is just as good as the 5.9 imo. I wudnt waste the time and money on a swap

·
Registered
227 Posts
I realize that your point is to do something different but I just gotta say... wow, what a 6.4 (and entire truck) you could put together for 25K!

You gonna sell the motor out of the 250 if you do the swap or just crate it?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I didnt know if it would be that much different or not. Im definitely trying to do my research but I havent found much up until this point. Its worth the investment IMO. $25K is a small price to pay for a great engine, 700hp on fuel, and better reliability.
Is that $25k in addition to the purchase of a brand new truck? Cuz.........uh..........for probably $10k in addition to a new truck you could have that power in a 6.4 with better reliability (our trannies hold up WAY better). You say you're doing research, well, actually do the research and find out just how reliable the 6.4 is, and how much power its making.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Or take a Dodge with the 5.9l and throw $25K into moding the tranny, body, interior. After $25k I would think you would have an incrdible looking Dodge/Cummins, much better looking then a stock '08 F250 (w/ a Cummins under the hood).

Or better yet float that $25k my way, and I'll use it to pay bills ;-)

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
25k to just dump into a 45-50k truck. I want to be in your line of work.

IMO I wouldn't waste the money on it. Just build one [email protected]$$ 6.4 that will hock lougies on a cummins :thumb:

·
Vendor
1,594 Posts
If you were looking at swapping out a 6.0 for a cummins or even a 7.3 I would say its a great idea. The new 6.4 engines are awesome engines once you get the emissions crap off of them and get the proper tuning. No reason to pull out a good engine with warrenty to replace it. Im going to be swapping in a 5.9L 12 valve in the next couple months. So trust me, Im all about the Cummins motors.....

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
I agree, if you're planning on the cummins swap, I wouldn't do it with a brand new motor, if the truck has a 100K or something on the motor, maybe, but the 6.4 seems like a great engine, the only bad thing I know is that dang DPF, I mean if you're looking at the cummins for better fuel economy, then thats one thing, but power, I think if you put $2000-$3000 into a 6.4, it would probably beat that cummins pretty good. And after that $25K ou need to do the swap, then you need some more $$ to upgrade it with power, but you know, everyone has their own dreams, so I wish you good luck with your plans.

-BG06.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Put half that 25k in a 6.4 and It would be making at least 700rwhp

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A lot of great responses so far!! The 6.4L is a great engine, but with the 5.9L I plan on doing twins, dual cp3s, 150 injectors, custom cam, built tranny and a few other things. I have always been a ford fan and its always been my dream to have a f250 with a high horsepower cummins. I dont plan on doing this to a new truck btw.... waste of money! Im looking for a 6.4L with 60K-70K miles on it. It will still be 6-10 weeks before I pull the trigger. I need to find a qualified shop and figure out what turbos I want to run. Im also looking into CNG injection. I read an article about Natruell fuels doing a cng conversion on a 6.4l and it was getting like 38mpg running a 70/30 mix. Better mpg plus 100hp/200tq sounds pretty good to me. Any one that has any experience with swaps or knows someone who does feel free to step in and school me. lol. Im trying to learn all that I can!

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
A lot of great responses so far!! The 6.4L is a great engine, but with the 5.9L I plan on doing twins, dual cp3s, 150 injectors, custom cam, built tranny and a few other things. I have always been a ford fan and its always been my dream to have a f250 with a high horsepower cummins. I dont plan on doing this to a new truck btw.... waste of money! Im looking for a 6.4L with 60K-70K miles on it. It will still be 6-10 weeks before I pull the trigger. I need to find a qualified shop and figure out what turbos I want to run. Im also looking into CNG injection. I read an article about Natruell fuels doing a cng conversion on a 6.4l and it was getting like 38mpg running a 70/30 mix. Better mpg plus 100hp/200tq sounds pretty good to me. Any one that has any experience with swaps or knows someone who does feel free to step in and school me. lol. Im trying to learn all that I can!
do you have a link for this, I have a hard time believing a 8000 lbs truck can get 38mpg.

·
Registered
742 Posts
honestly? i'm sorry but straight up that is the most retarded waste of $25,000 ever. If you want a cummins, save yourself some money and buy a dodge and fix it up. If you want a 6.4 then buy a 6.4, and $15,000 you can have 650+ hp on fuel probably 750-800 on nitrous

I know different people make the world go around, but i just can't justify dropping that kinda money to put a engine into another truck that comes with a perfectly capable engine in the first place.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts