Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought 04 F250 with 6.0L powerstroke and already the truck has blown EGR Cooler. My question is what ya'lls opinions are on the 6.0L seriously. Can this motor be dependent and long lasting without costing me my life? Or do I need to get away from the powerstroke and install a 12V Cummins. :tard:

I have done some research and it is around $11,000 to $16,000 for the cummins swap and around $6,000 to $7,000 for apr head studs, bullet proof diesel egr delete, oil cooler, and 4 inch straight pipe from turbo back. This truck only has 40,000 miles on it . I have to make a decision by Monday because its already in the shop. Obviously I want to spend the least amount of money, but i want something that I'm going to be happy with. I will appreciate any response. Thankyou :dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
how about just fix the coolers for now and ride it out for a little while, if you maintain it you should get a few more miles out of it. that's the cheapest route

·
Registered
933 Posts
flush cooling system with restore and restore plus/vc9, do oil cooler and EGR delete/BPD, get the turbo cleaned, reflash computer refill with cat style coolant and put on a coolant filter, and see how long she lasts and go from there all this should be done for roughly $1500

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You say I'll get a few more miles and it'll run a while longer. I want it to last a long time. I have an 01 dodge cummins that I dont have any problems with, I want to know if I spend this extra money on all the extras can it be as dependable as my cummins engine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I toiled with the same question on my 03 for about two weeks. I decided to keep the 6.0 because I really have gotten used to the way the truck runs. The big question is do you have a competent mechanic doing your repairs. I have seen alot 6.0 headaches just due to the fact of guys working on something way over their head. My suggestion is if your going to do the egr cooler go the rest of the way. Get it done. 6.0l is a great motor once you get by most of Fords BS. If your leaning the cummins route it works to, only warning is that friend went this way, and he had an auto trans and he isn't really happy how the two work together. Cummins doesn't have the same rpm range the 6.0 does, so the tranny doesn't really get all that low end torque down to the ground.

·
Registered
728 Posts
To do a Cummins swap you want to go with a manual or a 4R100 auto, I have heard the same things about 5R110 and Cummins not doing well together.
I will be swapping in a Cummins CR when this 6.0 bites the dust but not until then. I too thought about it when I blew the head gaskets, it just wasn't a viable option at the time.

EGR delete or bulletproof EGR cooler, ARP head studs, Swamps ficm and get rid of the ford gold coolant. You will have a reliable motor, just get gauges including fuel pressure.

·
Registered
765 Posts
My 6.0 is getting the works right now. If, and I mean IF it just so happens to bite the dust after getting ARP's and such then it's getting traded in on a 6.7 for sure. I just can't seem to justify spending $15000+ to properly swap a cummins into my truck. I mean it's a great motor but I just dont find it to be worth it.

But for what it's worth, I'm swapping a 4BT into my crawler. Like I said a cummins is a great engine, just not in my super duty :thumb:

·
Registered
728 Posts
I cannot speak for the OP but in my situation it is still the most viable option. Buying a 6.7 or even a 6.4 and then converting it into an Excursion is more $$$ than the Cummins swap.

·
Premium Member
31,706 Posts
Keep the 6.0 You will be much happier.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Honestly, I think the only feasable way to do a cummins swap is to do the work yourself.

It is otherwise a huge waste of money IMO, unless of course you are independantly wealthy.

I would also suggest that if you ever decided to go this route to use the common rail engine instead of the trusty old dinosaur.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Maybe this is a silly question....but if people want to remove the 6.0 engine and replace with a Cummins, then why not just go out and buy a Dodge and call it a day? Seems kind of silly to me to take out the powertrain of one brand and replace with another. I mean, if you take out the core of these trucks, can you even call it a Ford anymore? Just sayin'....

·
Registered
472 Posts
Maybe this is a silly question....but if people want to remove the 6.0 engine and replace with a Cummins, then why not just go out and buy a Dodge and call it a day? Seems kind of silly to me to take out the powertrain of one brand and replace with another. I mean, if you take out the core of these trucks, can you even call it a Ford anymore? Just sayin'....
I think you are reading too much into it. Dodge doesn't own Cummins BTW. Also, having been around many 94 and newer Dodges, I don't care to own one.

Ford actually uses Cummins engines in some of it's larger trucks.

People have been performing engine swaps on vehicles since the Model A.

·
spool up that turbo!!
2,008 Posts
most people dont want the top of there cabs flying off starting at the A pillar
:icon_ford::icon_ford::icon_ford:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Doing a swap is not the brightest move, either fix the truck and then dump it and lick your wounds or try to fix for the long run and run it into the ground.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I think you are reading too much into it. Dodge doesn't own Cummins BTW.
Yeah....I'm familiar with the rumor that Dodge owns Cummins....what a joke. I was just asking as this has been brought up several times on this forum under the premise that the 6.0 sux and they want to replace it with a Cummins. That's why I asked....I mean....get a Dodge with a Cummins already in it and then you'll have the engine w/o having the cost and work ahead. Unless, of course, you like the challenge.

·
Registered
325 Posts
A guy I know picked up a 05 that was blown and did the cummins swap, I think he did the 12 valve.

I asked him about it later on, to find out it was his buddies truck. From what he told me cause I was enquiring about it is at the end of the day it costed him 8700 to do the swap.

First is you have to get a donor truck, dont just buy a engine and think thats all you will need....cause you will need more. Plus you will need a gasser pedal assembly and a couple other odds and ends.

What helped justify it for his buddy was it was blown and got it for cheap. After selling all the Powerstroke parts the cost of the donor it came out to 8700 said and done.

As for resale value, dont bet on it, there is a 99 F250 with a cummins swap thats lifted for 9K on Milwaukee CL that has been on there for half a year.

Once you start doing custom stuff like that you start denying average buyers to buy your junk when your wanting to sell it.

IMO I told myself that if I have to pull the engine for something really bad, Hell I might even put a BBC in mine and make a adapter cause I got the BBC sitting there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah keep the 6.0. There is no way I would give up my 6.0 for anything!! I mean it's race tuned, straight piped and still on the stock head bolts with 156,000 miles on her and I have not turned one single bolt on it except for servicing it. Using Motorcraft filters and oil of course!

·
Registered
2 Posts
VC-9

I have a 2005 F350 4x4 6.0L. I bought the truck with 95,000 miles shortly after the death code came on. After spending $1200 at the dealer to put new oil cooler in and flush the system with the VC-9, I drove the truck 35 miles before the death code reappeared. Took back to the dealer for another oil cooler and another coolant flush. This time I made it 50 miles before the death code reappeared, after contacting the dealer I was told that they would not do it again without paying again.
I was pissed off so I went to International for answers.

What International told me is they have never seen the issues with this engine as ford has their model for this is 365 versus Ford 6.0L. International technicians said that this formula knocks all the casting burrs from inside of the motor and just flushing a few rinses of water will not clean the burrs out. International recommended a couple of possible solutions the first should be a must for all 365 or 6.0L owners is to install a coolant filtration system the second is that Preston make a flush that can be ran for three days that will take 90% of the material still in the motor and the coolant filter should be cleaned out every 6000 miles or so to finish cleaning

·
Registered
19 Posts
Or just do What I did. Ride out the 6.0 till she pops.

I bought my cummins when I was 21 cause it was cheaper. I also started working on diesel equipment then. I just picked up a 6.0 with 240k. The ford is so much better I already started pulling the CR in my dodge to be transplanted into the ford. When I get everything ready to roll over cummins it will be.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.