Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas Im new here but def not new to the diesel world... Im going to go ahead and put my flame suit on now!! I have a 06 2500 4x4 megacab cummins with some go fast goodies on it but we wont get into that...

the reason I am here is my boss is looking to buy me a 03 crew cab short bed 4x4 with the 6.0 automatic loaded leather all the good stuff with 120,000 on it truck seems to be very well maintained one owner has taken it in for the injector recall and had those replaced... I need to know some things to look out for we are going to check it out today... keep in mind this truck is going to be a pavement queen.. I work for a publishing company, and actaully Ford is one of our biggest clients we do a lot of their marketing brochures and some of their history books some of you may even have the book "Ford the First 100 years" but anyway the truck will be used primarily from occasionally transporting skids of books/flyers/marketing pieces from our warehouse to our office all in town so I need to know things I should check out throughly before i tell him its a good purchase... I am very familar with the diesel motor so let me have it, but there may be some things I dont know... just like with the cummins we have things that we all know that may not be known by others... so any and all help will be appreciated....one more thing what do you think the value of this truck should be?

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
If you an get your hands on an Oasis report, thatll tell you exactly what Ford
has worked on in case the owner isn't straight forward.:nod:

A lot of people will say that the early 6.0s were the problems, but you'll get people saying that their fine also.

Look for coolant dried up around the bottle under the hood. First sign of clogged EGR and/or blown headgaskets. As long as the trans shifts fine and the fluids have been changed regularly, don't worry aboutthe TorqueShift unless the owner had some fly-by-night chip on it.:doh:

If he does by it, EGR delete and headstuds are great mods to secure it running for many more miles.

The 03s have the coveted turbo whistle when straight piped.:thumb:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info... the truck has been owned by an older man who said he pulled his 5th wheel camper with it some but not very often highly doubt had a programmer/chip

I have heard of problems with the CPS going out is this true? also is there any kinda problem with the lift pumps as the dodge has in the older years?

·
Ole White
5,253 Posts
Thanks for the info... the truck has been owned by an older man who said he pulled his 5th wheel camper with it some but not very often highly doubt had a programmer/chip

I have heard of problems with the CPS going out is this true? also is there any kinda problem with the lift pumps as the dodge has in the older years?
The CPS failure was very common on the 7.3 but was recalled and updated as far as the 6.0 goes the CPS is a rare problem

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea im a DIE HARD cummins guy but i gota admit its a sweet sweet sound to hear a 6.0 with exhaust idiling sounds so good sounds just like a jet waiting to launch

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys... if anybody has anything else please feel free to add I am going to look at the truck at 5 (its 12:43 now)

·
Registered
55 Posts
i own a 04 with 190km on it and really had no problems with it except for regular maintence love my truck i do have a tranny issue right know but first time the truck was ever on the hook with 190km so i cant really complain this year alone i put on 65000km on her and no trouble!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I knew u cummins guys had a guilty pleasure for powerstrokes lol

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
good luck on the buy

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I knew u cummins guys had a guilty pleasure for powerstrokes lol

I will have to say yes on the sound of a 6.0 with the "good" turbo with exhaust I sure do...

and thank you

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well fellas we went and checked the truck out and the seller was a little sketchy and the carfax report didn't tell the same story that he did... so we went and looked at another truck, and last nite my boss bought a 02 F250 7.3 with 68k 6 speed 4x4 xtd short bed loaded with a hard bed cover, for 12k they were asking 16,900 and come off the price that quick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts