Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm bout to put subs in my crew cab and i'm wondering what the best configuration is. I listen to mostly rock/techno/country/hip hop.... not any hard hitting rap. My main concern is loud and clear - not deep bass. What do you guys suggest? I've been told to run either 3 - 10" subs or 4 - 8" subs.

Current setup:
Head Unit - Kenwood DNX7120
Mids/High Amp - Eclipse 5422
Doors - JL Audio C5 6.5's components
Rear Panels - Infiniti Kappa 5x7 (i can't even hear these)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have 3 JL 10's in mine, mounted behind the seat. I listen to mostly rock and such as well and they do awesome. I left the factory speakers in, just run them off a small amp. Sounds awesome.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I have 2 Rockford 10 inch subs and i listen to country and some rock. That combo has worked really good for me.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a single 10" and it sounds just fine. I have it set to accentuate the music not rattle the truck and I love it

·
Registered
215 Posts
Is there any way to run 12's in these trucks?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Is there any way to run 12's in these trucks?
Custom boxes under the middle seat and back seat; I haven't seen anyone do it yet but the measurements say it's possible to fit shallow 15's, so 12's shouldn't be much of an issue.

·
Registered
117 Posts
running 4 10's behind my back seat in a sealed enclosure. tuned right they can accentuate or you can go crazy if you want. electronics are all mountable under the seats with plenty of room for extras. i do recommend a capacitor just in case though.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I'm bout to put subs in my crew cab and i'm wondering what the best configuration is. I listen to mostly rock/techno/country/hip hop.... not any hard hitting rap. My main concern is loud and clear - not deep bass. What do you guys suggest? I've been told to run either 3 - 10" subs or 4 - 8" subs.

Current setup:
Head Unit - Kenwood DNX7120
Mids/High Amp - Eclipse 5422
Doors - JL Audio C5 6.5's components
Rear Panels - Infiniti Kappa 5x7 (i can't even hear these)
The first step is to understand what Q-ratio you want to aim for.
Typically a purist will look for a q ratio of .7 to .9 and will usually favor a near flat frequency response AND will reach LOWER frequencies (sub audible range)
than those with the boom-box sound.
The younger crowd often favors a q ratio of 1.5 to 2.0.
Rappers ,especially those driving crappy Honda's with the gas lid rattleing...they're running a q ratio of somewhere around 4.0 and 8.0.
The drawback to this method is that the bass is louder in the 80 -120 hertz
range but falls flat on its face and cannot play subaudible music down in
the 30-40 hertz ranges because they go into massive resonance or have a nasty case of bass carry-over (its subjective...some love that sound)
I used to design enclosures using the appropriate formulas for a 1.2 Q ratio
(slight over emphasis on the base) This can only be done if the manufacturer provides the velocity factor for a given speaker. The resultant size required
for the 12 inch speakers was 4.0 Cubic feet.The sound result was music that could be felt thru the floor but not heard from the speaker. They are great for watching movies or listening to pink Floyd,which has a lot of sub audible music in it. Enclosures that are too small for their speakers ,to me ,sound like total crap..the bass is over resonant and artificial sounding.
The limitation your dealing with is how much cubic footage can you come up with for the speakers...Myself ,I would prefer quality of sound over quantity
of sound. I would look for high compliant 6 in 8 in speakers IF you can provide an enclosure of one and a half cubic feet per speaker section(sealed)
You could go for larger speakers..but your q ratio will be very high .There is just no changing the compressabilty of air BEHIND the speaker.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
i have a box for a shallow mount 10 ported that fits behind the seat that im not using. would like to sell it...I went with 5 6.5 JL subs ported and its fine for me...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would say put a 8in L7 in your Center seat, it will sound great.

I have a 12in L7 in mine, Custom made fiberglass, it would be much easier with a 8in

·
Registered
153 Posts

this is the custom box i ordered online it fits perfect behind the rear seat and it holds 2 10" Kickers and they sound good

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
i have a box for a shallow mount 10 ported that fits behind the seat that im not using. would like to sell it...I went with 5 6.5 JL subs ported and its fine for me...
how much? im lookin for a box

·
Registered
215 Posts

this is the custom box i ordered online it fits perfect behind the rear seat and it holds 2 10" Kickers and they sound good
Looks good! :thumb:

When you get a chance, can you get a few measurements for me? I'd appreciate that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
the sub in the seat is a good idea. how does it sound, would the wife still have a comfortable ride on the ceter seat

·
Registered
337 Posts
still have the box laying around. need one thanks
Now I know what you're talking about. Was confused in the PM. Will respond here too.

I do have it in my truck still. I wouldn't mind selling it, but not sure how much it'd cost to ship it. I'm sure it'd cost an arm and a leg to ship it and might not be worth selling if that's the case. I'm out of town right now, but I'll gladly take a pic Friday afternoon if you want to see it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts