Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Late to the party: Did the smoke happen after you took the injectors apart?

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
So update, I pulled the injectors and separated the upper and lower bodies. The fuel spring on the lower body of the injector is broke on 7 of the injectors. And I pulled the turbo and the outlet and the down pipe are covered in thick oily residue.
My guess is that the new orings on the outside of the injectors uncovered an ongoing problem -- the internal body oring was leaking and the pintle springs was busted

The upper external oring since it was new and sealing better pushed the oil that was previously leaking past, and into the crankcase -- down into the fuel rail, and into the combustion

The broken pintle springs were causing the injector tip to have a poor/no spray pattern -- incomplete combustion happened -- the ECU would have basically shut the fuel off to keep engine speed and you were running on engine oil -- so lots of smoke and snot

Those lower springs pre load the injector pintle to about 3900psi -- without them working as they are supposed to, the nozzle just squirts a stream

Seven broken in one engine seems to me to be odd, maybe they were just old

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So update, I pulled the injectors and separated the upper and lower bodies. The fuel spring on the lower body of the injector is broke on 7 of the injectors. And I pulled the turbo and the outlet and the down pipe are covered in thick oily residue.
My guess is that the new orings on the outside of the injectors uncovered an ongoing problem -- the internal body oring was leaking and the pintle springs was busted

The upper external oring since it was new and sealing better pushed the oil that was previously leaking past, and into the crankcase -- down into the fuel rail, and into the combustion

The broken pintle springs were causing the injector tip to have a poor/no spray pattern -- incomplete combustion happened -- the ECU would have basically shut the fuel off to keep engine speed and you were running on engine oil -- so lots of smoke and snot

Those lower springs pre load the injector pintle to about 3900psi -- without them working as they are supposed to, the nozzle just squirts a stream

Seven broken in one engine seems to me to be odd, maybe they were just old
I was surprised there were that many broken as well. But oh well. It’ll be down for a little and then it’ll be back up in running with some new injectors, turbo, intake, and HPOP!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts