Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. New to the forum, suggested by a buddy to stop by and hang out for awhile. I got a 2005 6.0 PS 250. Working in a state with alot of mountains. Yesterday, the fuel gauge went from a half tank to 1/4 then to complete empty, with low fuel message on in about 5min. Then truck started to skip like running out of fuel. Put 13 gallons in and no change. Drove 9 miles home and parked for bout hr. Read Chilton's, went out to make some checks, fuel gauge jumps up to half. Truck starts fine, no cold start. This morning, decided to try again, fuel hand jumps up to needle below full. 13 gal added to the half that i had. Started up fine. No slow cold start. Started and gauges acted fine this evening.. Anyone got any suggestions out there. Much Gratitude would be.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I just started having the same problem with my fuel gauge. Hopefully someone will chime in soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope so. I started some needed fixes yesterday. Fuel filter, needed to be changed. I have a suspicion that the sending unit may be going bad , and sending a wrong signal to my computer, and shutting down fuel supply. But my filter was really dirty, and that will fosho limit fuel supply. Going to try running with the new filter for a bit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been reading around abit, sounds like sending unit may be starting to fail. Haven't read anything bout the wrong message to the computer. So maybe I'm wrong in that area. These forums got the info, just gotta dig abit.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I hope so. I started some needed fixes yesterday. Fuel filter, needed to be changed. I have a suspicion that the sending unit may be going bad , and sending a wrong signal to my computer, and shutting down fuel supply. But my filter was really dirty, and that will fosho limit fuel supply. Going to try running with the new filter for a bit.
Hope you are useing Ford filters (oil-fuel-trans-air) that is a must plus you should be looking at gauges a must on a 6.0:doh:
2 stroker

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the insight. Sorda new to the whole diesel game. Just really getting into the deeper issues.. What type of guages would you suggest.

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
Find out if you have a fuel level sensor code stored. It shouldn't change how the truck runs, just make the gauge read incorrectly.

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts
Thanks for the insight. Sorda new to the whole diesel game. Just really getting into the deeper issues.. What type of guages would you suggest.
Get an Insight CTS and you can check your own codes as well as monitor.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not that it helps any but i have the same issue when the truck isnt run for a while. The gauge has always been wierd i mean its not very consistent between how low it displays and the amount of fuel i actually put in, so i have been going by milage. However, when it sits for a few days (such as when i was installing my lift) it showed that i had no fuel, light was on and all. I drove it to the gas station, and just like you said it only took about 15 gallons. Once i started it at the station, it showed full and i got the usual milage out of the tank. Weird, hope someone has a simple solution. Good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
So I'm NOT the only one. :mad: Filled it, read ~1/4 tank. Parked it for a few days. Next time in read ~1/2 tank. Then ~3/4...you get the point. Also the emissions light started up the same day the tank started having issues. KISS it first; replaced the gas filler cap. Nope. Light still on. Crap...

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
One of the biggest contributors to that problem is the tank connector, corrosion loose connector (not fully seated) and bent or backed out pins. The next biggest is just a faulty gauge, with an occasional poor ground.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem almost mine would drop down to nothing then go back up after the drop the ck emg light would come on I erased the code and it was fine again untill a month later it done this again it has happened about 6 times over the last year but always comes back after a turn of and on of the key a few times.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
One of the biggest contributors to that problem is the tank connector, corrosion loose connector (not fully seated) and bent or backed out pins. The next biggest is just a faulty gauge, with an occasional poor ground.
The connection at the fuel tank sender?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts