Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone new to this group and looking for help. I have a 03 6.0 that won’t start on its own. Was running fine and then started getting harder to start. Cold or hot. Changed out the ICP , IPR , FICM , blue spring kit, fuel pump, fuel filters, oil filter and oil, paid a mechanic $220 to scan it and he said my #1 injector was dead. Guaranteed that was the problem. I changed it out and still does the same thing. And of course the guy won’t return my call now. I have good oil pressure and have done a bubble test .With just a small shot of starting fluid it will start up and run perfect. Truck has been bulletproofed and deleted. Out of ideas so trying my luck to see if anyone here has had this happen before and maybe a solution. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
133 Posts
Explain what "good oil pressure" is. Where are you getting your oil pressure numbers from?

Sent from my Vivo XI PLUS using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When the Machanic came and scanned my truck he checked the oil filter and drain plunger. He then turned the truck over while checking for low oil pressure while turning the truck over. He had his computer hooked to the truck the whole time monitoring FICM power, FICM sync, icp and ran a test on all injectors. He found number 1 injector was dead.

·
Registered
133 Posts
OK, since you haven't said anything about high pressure oil, replace the stand pipes and dummy plugs.
I've been going through this with my 6.0 and when I did an air pressure check, I could hear a bad air leak on my dummy plugs.

Sent from my Vivo XI PLUS using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My truck is the early 03 and I don’t have dummy plugs and stand pipes. It has the oil rail with the braided metal flex line

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
How long have you cranked on it after changing the injector? Sometimes it takes a bit. Are you getting any smoke out the tailpipe when cranking?

Not saying this is your issue, but the early models are known to have issues with HPOP failing.

What are you monitoring with to watch numbers while cranking? Post some numbers for us - KOEO and while cranking.

FICM Main V
FICM Logic V
ICP V
ICP
IPR%
RPM

-jokester

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
That is a lot of new parts on a truck without using Forscan to check what the problem was. Paid a guy money that could have been used to get Forscan and some gauges to check oil pressure and fuel pressure. Even tho this is an '03, the air test thru the IPR valve port is valid.

You mentioned a little ether starts the engine and it runs fine, but wont start on it's own -- is that after it has been running or only cold??

How many miles on the engine??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It will start cold or hot with just a small shot of ether. Once it cranks it runs perfect until I cut it off. Truck has around 230k miles but was completely ripped down and bulletproof at 174k. I have a SCT x-4 turner and when the truck is running I took some videos of gauges. Ficm 48-48.50v Ficm ignition 12.5 - 13v I will try to post videos. Thanks for all of your responses.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
The only thing that sticks out to me is your ICP duty cycle is at .14, and when others have used an SCT device to screen shot, the ICP duty cycle was actually reading the IPR%. Is this the case with yours too? If so, something's amiss there. How much have you run it after the injector change to help purge the air from the system?

Can you give us screen shots with ICPv KOEO and running?

-jokester

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I drove it probably about 6-7 miles, and it has sat idling for probably about an hour to help purge after injector change. Is that enough? I think it’s reading ICP the item setting on the tuner is injection control pressure but I’m not sure. And I’m not sure what you mean by KOEO can you explain. Sorry learning as I go. Thx

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
If that 14% actually represents the IPR percentage, then the PCM is wanting less pressure and is "commanding" the IPR to open all the way(14%) -- That means the IPR screen is plugged and has not ruptured - yet

Pull the IPR and see if the screen on the tip is plugged -- the IPR is the dump for the high pressure oil, junk on the screen will blow thru because the screen is not strong enough to hold full pump pressure back

Rant of the minute - I need to make a list ...LoL
Pre filling the oil rails and leaving the vent plugs out, and cranking until oil comes out - would help a lot in starting the engine just after having the oil rails off -- cranking and cranking with the air trapped in the rails takes a lot of time and can cause other issues from low voltage and just wear on the starter

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
I drove it probably about 6-7 miles, and it has sat idling for probably about an hour to help purge after injector change. Is that enough? I think it’s reading ICP the item setting on the tuner is injection control pressure but I’m not sure. And I’m not sure what you mean by KOEO can you explain. Sorry learning as I go. Thx
KOEO = Key On Engine Off
KOER = running

Reading the voltages is always accurate -- tuners and sometimes just the PCM programming can use false pressure readings - The PCM can use inferred numbers if a sensor is out of range -- so voltages are best for troubleshooting

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I will pull the IPR out again and check it. It’s brand new, but I know that doesn’t mean the screen couldn’t get something blocking it since then. I will also try and get some more numbers for KOEO and KOER thanks for the definition like I said learning as I go. Thanks for everyone’s input. I tried to upload videos but this site will only allow pictures unless I’m doing it wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Ok I will pull the IPR out again and check it. It’s brand new, but I know that doesn’t mean the screen couldn’t get something blocking it since then. I will also try and get some more numbers for KOEO and KOER thanks for the definition like I said learning as I go. Thanks for everyone’s input. I tried to upload videos but this site will only allow pictures unless I’m doing it wrong.
We usually upload the video to youtube and then post the link here...

-jokester

1 - 20 of 37 Posts