Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 7.3 ran fine this morning. I got home and let it sit for about 2hrs and then when I went to start it, it idled rough and if I gave it any throttle while idling blew some white smoke. I thought it would smooth out so I backed out and once on the street I tried going and it sputtered really bad and wouldn't go anywhere and finally died. First thought was CPS so I replaced that and nothing. Checked all fuses. Replaced fuel filter and added some additive in case something was clogged. It cranks over just fine and the tach moves while cranking. Up until the last few times I tried, it would blow white smoke, so it was getting fuel just not burning it. So I was thinking glow plug relay but all of the parts stores are closed so I have to wait until tomorrow. But the last few times I tried cranking it, it still cranks fine but the tach doesn't move as much and no smoke out the exhaust. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
does it feel like it is starving for fuel? You havent noticed any fuel leaks have you?:bump::bump:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No fuel leaks, that was my original thought until I saw the smoke out of the tail pipe, then I knew it was getting fuel, which made me think glowplug relay causing fuel to not burn, but now no more smoke out the back at all so now it is like it is starving for fuel as well. I forgot there is no SES light and I don't have a code reader to see if it has any codes

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
to me, it seems like your fuel pump is weak. do you have a fuel pressure gauge so you can check your fuel pressure?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
If you can plug it in for 3 hours minimum and then try to start it. If it starts up with no problem after having the block warmer plugged in for 3 hours minimum then it is a glow plug problem.

Also you can check the glow plug relay with a voltmeter. One big wire should have power all the time. The other big wire will have 12 volts when the key is on. If it does not then your relay is most likely bad and not warming the plugs.

But even cranking after a while the engine should warm up and fire.

Also scan the truck for codes. Even if the check engine light is not on. You may still have codes. Also check the batteries for voltage you need at least 10.5 volts to the pcm to have the pcm work. If you have low voltage at the batteries that may also be the reason why your truck will not fire. Your truck will crank over with only 10 volts.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am stuck without a guage or voltmeter right now so I will try plugging it in overnight and see what that does, then tomorrow I can try the rest. Thanks for the help so far guys

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I am stuck without a guage or voltmeter right now so I will try plugging it in overnight and see what that does, then tomorrow I can try the rest. Thanks for the help so far guys
No problem that is whay we are here for.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
any luck? did you make sure there is no fuel in the valley of the motor?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I had to work today so I finally got to check it all out this evening. I did the GPR today and still nothing so I think I narrowed it down to fuel not getting to the fuel bowl. It had some in it still so that is why it had enough to cause smoke and then when that ran out, no more to burn so no more smoke. Fuel pump has power so I unhooked it and supplied fuel to it through a can and siphon and none came out the other end so bad fuel pump. Got a new one and while hooking it up realized the fitting on the output side that goes into the fuel line is too short meaning that once I slid the line on and it poped into place, I couldn't get the retainer clip slid into place to lock it down because there wasn't enough room, so I gave up for the night and will mess with it tomorrow and try to get that line off the pump so I can put the old fitting on the new pump, but it will be a pain because it is now too close to the pump to get the removal tool in there to pop it off. So if anyone has any advise on how to get the fuel line off it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
finally got the pump off. I had to make my own removal tool out of a copenhagen lid and get the right pump, and it fired right up. So still not positive as to the initial problem. I don't know if the GPR went out and then me cranking on it so much finally made the old pump give out. But all I care about is that it is running now. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
finally got the pump off. I had to make my own removal tool out of a copenhagen lid and get the right pump, and it fired right up. So still not positive as to the initial problem. I don't know if the GPR went out and then me cranking on it so much finally made the old pump give out. But all I care about is that it is running now. Thanks for the help.
haha good ol' copenhagen. works for me as a tool sometimes too. congrats on the fix

1 - 11 of 11 Posts