Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 f350, engine cranks but won't start, no fuel, I can hear a clicking sound from behind the dash like a relay isn' t locked in. Sometimes it will start sometimes not. Finally other day wouldn't start at all. Found the 30amp fues for the pcm, injector driver, fuel heater was blown. Put new fuse in and would be alright with key on but blow when cranked. Unhooked the fuel heater and relays for the pcm/ injector driver one at time until the fuse wouldn't blow. Left the fuel heater unplugged and fuse dosn't blow but truck still sometimes won't start and can still hear a relay clicking. Any ideas? Any help would be great. Have a DP tunner but have tried with it hooked up and unhooked no difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a trans temp sender in the cluster but I will look for that connector anyway. I keep thinking I have a current drop somewhere but was confused why the fuse blew? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
8,673 Posts
Another relay noise can come from the turn signal relay (unrelated to a no-start of course) so, next time you hear the relay try using the turn signal and see if it goes away.

Most relay noise issues are caused either by bad grounds or low voltage. The blown fuse is another issue but, it sounds like it was the fuel heater (VERY common) and you've resolved it.

Maybe monitor the system voltage (from the outlet in the cab) with a meter as you start?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good Idea I will check the voltage in the cab while cranking. I was stuck on the battery connections but that dosn't neccesarily translate into cab voltage. Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help, checked voltage at the pcm fuse while cranking and only had 8.4 volts. Cleaned a few grounds up on the firewall and block and she starts every time now. Don't know why the fuse blew plugged the fuel heater back in and works fine. Might have been some voltage spikes from the starter???

·
Premium Member
8,673 Posts
Gald to hear you got it going......

I'd unplug that fuel heater though (you don't really need it) and any bump or jar might have the element short again and you'd be stuck (in My case it would happen on the highway, at night, in a blizzard ;).

The sure sign it happened is your WTS light won't come on when you first roll-on the key.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts