Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story but 2006 6.0 with 275000 miles. So truck was running rough and took it to the shop. They replace injector #1. Runs good for 5k miles. Them it starts running rough again and eventually won’t start. I take it back and they tell me I need a new Hpop. So I installed a new hpop. Basically same problem exists. Then I replace 7 injectors. While installing injectors we notice the #1 injector I had them replace is barely finger tight. Checked dummy plugs and standpipes they looked fine. Now it still isn’t running smooth. Longer it idles rougher it runs. Fuel pump sounds like it is sucking air so I replaced it with housing. Still sounds different. Dropped tank pickup looked fine. At wits end with this truck. It’s now been sitting a month and I have to get it running. Please help. Fuel delivery is suspect with the noise. If I check the fuel pressure and it’s good is there a chance that air can still be in the system. I’ve owned this truck since new and have never heard the pump sound like this. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
I suspect one or more of your injectors aren't sealing well on the copper washer ...this can let combustion into the fuel rails and cause the rough idle you describe

You can remove the upper fuel filter cap, and using the starter jumper wire(key off) -- turn the engine over for 15 seconds a couple of times while watching for bubbles in the fuel bowl

A monitor app like Forscan or Torque Pro would help in diagnosing

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just ran the test. I’m getting a few bubbles like maybe 5/ crank. Some cranks 1-2bubbles. Is that a failed test? We did let it run rough for a while one time and got a cylinder 1 contribution code. I’m scared to run it for long running rough don’t want to hurt injectors. Again it cranks and sounds great for a minute or 2 then starts missing.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,811 Posts
You shouldn't get any bubbles

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So next step is to find which side is culprit and remove glow plugs one at a time until I get zero bubbles?

·
5,811 Posts
Identify which location the air is coming from in the bottom of the secondary fuel filter housing.

Reactions: Hydro

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Identify which location the air is coming from in the bottom of the secondary fuel filter housing.
Just to add -- this will tell which fuel rail is creating the bubbles
the lines to each head exit the bowl in different spots

once you figure which head -- then pull the glow plugs(one at a time) to determine which cylinder
when you remove the injector for the "bad" cylinder -- pay close attention to the torque of the hold down bolt(leaking copper = loose bolt)
if the bolt is tight -- then the injector may be leaking inside the tip

I suggest re-torqueing all the injectors -- the can work loose over time

Reactions: bismic

·
5,811 Posts
Just to add -- this will tell which fuel rail is creating the bubbles
the lines to each head exit the bowl in different spots

once you figure which head -- then pull the glow plugs(one at a time) to determine which cylinder
when you remove the injector for the "bad" cylinder -- pay close attention to the torque of the hold down bolt(leaking copper = loose bolt)
if the bolt is tight -- then the injector may be leaking inside the tip

I suggest re-torqueing all the injectors -- the can work loose over time
Thank you for this post! I was too tired to add the detail and it probably was not a lot of help without the information you added!!!

·
5,811 Posts
The parameters you posted look fine.

You posted that you saw bubbles in the fuel ..... the advice above (on identifying the fuel rail leaking back and then pulling glow plugs) should be your priority.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. The miss on #5 means that it is most likely the culprit? I will pull the glow plug and redo the bubble test.

·
5,811 Posts
Probably so, but an injector leaking combustion gas can restrict fuel to any or all injectors on that side.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
Most likely the bubbles are on the passenger(odd) bank of the engine
not necessarily number 5 injector tho -- bubbles in the rail will affect them all to one extent or another

Pulling the fender liner and working from below, makes the rear valve cover bolt much easier -- also the glow plugs

Something I don't think many consider, is bubbles(small) in the fuel rails will cause injector damage from the fuel not being "solid" because of the air -- and causing the intensifier piston to slam the bottom of it's bore either burring the piston or breaking the return spring

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. Balloon test on odd side just verified it is leaking. Will try the even side tomorrow just to check.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Balloon test on drivers side looked good. Pulled injector #1 today. O rings were torn up, one had a sliver of copper on it. Spent 1 hour looking for crush washer. Either it came apart or was never there. Installing injector now and checking balloon test again.

·
5,811 Posts
As mentioned, all injectors on that side could be damaged.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got it back together and cranked. Runs smooth now at idle. I’ll test better tomorrow. First crank was slow but finally got it to fire. Second crank took to long also. Is this normal or once it’s fired once it should crank normal? Praying injectors are ok. Y’all have helped me so much I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Bismic and Hydro. Got her running great again. I had a single injector replaced by diesel shop and they didn’t install crush washer or torque it right. It was loose and the washer wasn’t in there. Before I knew this I took it back to him and he diagnosed problem as a bad hoop. Wanted $3500 bucks to replace. I told him thanks for the diagnosis and asked what I owed. $600 he said. Any way I did it myself still wouldn’t run so I replaced the other 7 injectors. My guy who did it said that #1 wasn’t torqued so he torqued it with out pulling it and inspecting. Put it back together and still had the problem. So thats where y’all came in and trouble shot the leaking injector. Thanks again. Y’all have saved my sanity. Now to sell it. Hopefully the new injectors will be a selling point. What’s it worth with new injectors?
2006 Lariat studded, deleated, crewcab, white 280k miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts