Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006 F250 XLT Super Duty
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I’m still working on the 2006 6.0

I have a crank no start and I have some numbers. Hoping someone can tell me what other p.i.d.’s to monitor with my scanguage. (All I have currently)

My oil pressure is building up in the dash

IPR is at 85 when trying to crank
ICP is at 57

What other PID’s should I watch and should I just pull the IPR and check the screen?

Big thank you for anyone who takes the time to help! I’m still learning all this and my bank account is embarrassingly low after all this so I can’t just throw money at it. Got plenty of rocks to throw, but no cash.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
So I’m still working on the 2006 6.0

I have a crank no start and I have some numbers. Hoping someone can tell me what other p.i.d.’s to monitor with my scanguage. (All I have currently)

My oil pressure is building up in the dash

IPR is at 85 when trying to crank
ICP is at 57

What other PID’s should I watch and should I just pull the IPR and check the screen?

Big thank you for anyone who takes the time to help! I’m still learning all this and my bank account is embarrassingly low after all this so I can’t just throw money at it. Got plenty of rocks to throw, but no cash.
The oil pressure on the dash is your low pressure oil pressure, not the hpop, which is really important in starting the 6.0.
Basically, if you have a crank no start and the ipr is at 85, you have a hpo leak.. Get the ipr pressure test fitting, pull the Ipr (and inspect) then do the air pressure test. You'll here the air leaking. Then you'll need to determine what seals to replace to seal it all back up.
I HIGHLY recommend getting torque pro and the Bluetooth obd adapter. I also recommend adding forscan to your scan tools list. Torque Pro is $5, forscan is free and the adapter is anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on which one you choose.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 F250 XLT Super Duty
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I’m guessing the leak is in the oil rails somewhere then?

it’s a new HPOP and New IPR updates stand pipes and dummy plugs.

Also, I took the ICP off the valve cover and no oil came out until about 30secs of cranking it finally started to come out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you had the HPO system open and oil drained out or you are installing new components, it will take a few crank cycles to get the air out. I did six 15 second crank cycles before I even thought about trying to start it. B.

·
Registered
2006 F250 XLT Super Duty
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you had the HPO system open and oil drained out or you are installing new components, it will take a few crank cycles to get the air out. I did six 15 second crank cycles before I even thought about trying to start it. B.
Everything has been open, engine has been rebuilt from the bottom up.
I’ve done maybe 5 - Thrity second cranks on it now. ICP hasn’t gotten any higher than 65 and the IPR is still at 85.
I’ll take the IPR off and check it out probably here in the next hour and make sure the screen is good and no debris.

·
Registered
2006 F250 XLT Super Duty
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pulled the IPR and it looks clean, guess I’ll have to take the valve covers off after all.
Was hoping to avoid this for sure.
Hand Automotive tire Automotive lighting Finger Thumb

·
Registered
2006 F250 XLT Super Duty
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I have a no start post already started, sorry for the second post but, I can’t delete or edit to reflect everything correctly.

I’m currently waiting for the setup to do an air test. In the meantime.

So my IPR is at 85 when trying to crank.
I pulled my drivers side valve cover and it was completely dry like no oil made it to that side during priming the engine.

Does the oil come from passenger side first?

Anyways, I pulled the standpipe and dummy plug while I was there and they looked fine. And they are the updated ones on both sides

Going to pull passenger side later today and check it out.

The only thing I have not yet replaced is the seals on the oil rail nipple cups.

while I wait for the air test adapters I figured I’d see if anyone ever had anything similar happen and can maybe save some time and point me in the right direction.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive air manifold

·
Registered
2006 F250 XLT Super Duty
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you replace the nipple cup o-rings on the bottom side of the oil logs? B.
That’s the only thing I didn’t replace actually. Thought about buying them ahead of time but, I am going to air test it first to make sure I’m not throwing money at it. I feel like that may end up being the culprit though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The branch tube runs mostly equally from the STC fitting from the HPOP. So both sides should get oil at the same time and rate. The passenger side of the branch tube is shorter, so technically it will receive oil first. BUT, both sides are fed oil from the HPOP at the same time. B

·
Registered
83 Posts
You can buy just the o-rings and change those fairly cheaply. It's the nipple cups themselves that are expensive. Plus you need the special tool. The nipple cups rarely fail. It's always the orings. B.

·
Registered
2006 F250 XLT Super Duty
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can buy just the o-rings and change those fairly cheaply. It's the nipple cups themselves that are expensive. Plus you need the special tool. The nipple cups rarely fail. It's always the orings. B.

That’s not a bad price at all!! Shipping date was a little scary though. Sep27-Oct12

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, I was mainly trying to let you know the prices aren't that bad if you are willing to shop around a bit. All you really need are the o-rings and those MAY have come in your full gasket kit already. Dig through it to make sure you don't already have them. If you do, then all you need is the tool to R&R the nipple cups and replace the orings. Rock Auto also has the tool. B.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My concern is that, with all the cranking you have done, there is no sign of oil running down the pushrod in your picture. I'm concerned the oil is not getting pulled into the LPOP to supply the top end. That's why I wanted you to remove the oil cap and filter and crank the engine using the jumper at the inner right fender to observe oil filling the oil filter housing. B

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 F250 XLT Super Duty
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My concern is that, with all the cranking you have done, there is no sign of oil running down the pushrod in your picture. I'm concerned the oil is not getting pulled into the LPOP to supply the top end. That's why I wanted you to remove the oil cap and filter and crank the engine using the jumper at the inner right fender to observe oil filling the oil filter housing. B
There was oil in the filter housing as soon as I took it off all the way up the filter. And it seems to fill when jumping with the cable.
I just hooked the air hose kit to it and the leak must be tiny. I didn’t hear anything and my air compressor took several minutes for the needle to drop any but, it did eventually.
I attached the air hose directly to the ipr port. For that test. I have the fitting to connect to the ICP port but I have to make a cable with an old IPR pigtail off my old wiring harness.

and so I don’t post two replies, Bismic; I got the dummy plugs and stand pipes directly from Ford.

·
Registered
2006 F250 XLT Super Duty
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Random Question: Can a bad ICP sensor cause all this as well?
I haven’t replaced the ICP sensor on this build so not sure if that could cause an 85ipr reading.
Since I couldn’t detect any leaks with the air test and a stethoscope I’m at a loss now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Random Question: Can a bad ICP sensor cause all this as well?
I haven’t replaced the ICP sensor on this build so not sure if that could cause an 85ipr reading.
Since I couldn’t detect any leaks with the air test and a stethoscope I’m at a loss now.
Yes, it can. Unplug the ICP and try turning it over. If it starts, then your problem is the ICP. If it doesn't, then you need to look somewhere else. And before you ask, the PCM uses a default chart based on the throttle position when the ICP is unplugged.

·
Registered
2006 F250 XLT Super Duty
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, it can. Unplug the ICP and try turning it over. If it starts, then your problem is the ICP. If it doesn't, then you need to look somewhere else. And before you ask, the PCM uses a default chart based on the throttle position when the ICP is unplugged.
Thank you! I did unplug the ICP with no luck. It didn’t start up and now my wife has been admitted to the hospital with a mass on her pancreas.
So, I’m having it towed to a shop as I don’t have the time or mental stability to mess with it anymore.

I appreciate everyone who has helped out along the way with this mess.

God Bless

1 - 20 of 21 Posts