Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Try plugging in for a few hours and get the EoT up. You can also test the gp relay. If you listen under the hood and have someone turn the key you can hear it click. Or put a multimeter on it and make sure it's coming on.

I'd hook up some additional power too. Could have a dead battery. I had a new one (got a set) go bad. Used my Hyundai to jump start and it fired up. Went to china-zone and one was replaced under warranty.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I'll plug er in after I test the gpr. I have a battery charger connected while I've been doing all these to make sure I have enough juice

·
Registered
811 Posts
Really don't know what is going on
Icp seems high. Like I said battery and gp relay are the low hanging fruit. Also check for codes in forscan and do the injector buzz test. If they buzz then I think the idm is good?

If none of this then you're stuck waiting for someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited by Moderator)
On the bar on the left there are a bunch of tests. It's in the list of tests. Click through the icons until you find it

HEY I found out I had a code for my icp and I unplugged it and really cranked it and it started

It was running super rough but it started.

Is that whats bad?

I tested it before and it didn't start but this time when I did it it started after about 8 seconds of cranking but it ran real rough

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
Wait a min....

It doesn't start with the ICP plugged-in, but unplugged it starts?

That doesn't necessarily the problem is a bad sensor. More likely is that the ICP is reporting accurately but that pressure doesn't meet the PCM's minimum requirement of 500psi. Once unplugged, the PCM has no idea that the pressure is too low so it tries anyway (and Can start if it's not almost nonexistent).

Go to this thread and configure your TorqueApp -> Ford SuperDuty Diagnosis on the Cheap

Make 4 dials big on the screen .

ICP Pressure (configure to psi)
IPR %
RPM (no starter is actually capable of spinning you engine over at 500rpm)
Voltage

Crank it over on the starter and write down what those 4 parameters are, one of them will probably be out-of-spec and keeping you from starting.

Scan for codes, you'll find a low ICP code but remember that is going to happen when you unplug it. Clear All Codes and see what the current codes are from trying to start again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Wait a min....

It doesn't start with the ICP plugged-in, but unplugged it starts?

That doesn't necessarily the problem is a bad sensor. More likely is that the ICP is reporting accurately but that pressure doesn't meet the PCM's minimum requirement of 500psi. Once unplugged, the PCM has no idea that the pressure is too low so it tries anyway (and Can start if it's not almost nonexistent).

Go to this thread and configure your TorqueApp -> Ford SuperDuty Diagnosis on the Cheap

Make 4 dials big on the screen .

ICP Pressure (configure to psi)
IPR %
RPM (no starter is actually capable of spinning you engine over at 500rpm)
Voltage

Crank it over on the starter and write down what those 4 parameters are, one of them will probably be out-of-spec and keeping you from starting.

Scan for codes, you'll find a low ICP code but remember that is going to happen when you unplug it. Clear All Codes and see what the current codes are from trying to start again.
I was told that the icp when unplugged defaults to 750psi when it isn't plugged in. I changed it out anyways and it doesn't work. I currently have truck plugged in to see if that works and also on the battery charger. I have a video of it posted up in the thread somewhere. The % is 44, and the icp is reporting 12kpa i believe. Voltage is in the 12's

·
Registered
811 Posts
I was told that the icp when unplugged defaults to 750psi when it isn't plugged in. I changed it out anyways and it doesn't work. I currently have truck plugged in to see if that works and also on the battery charger. I have a video of it posted up in the thread somewhere. The % is 44, and the icp is reporting 12kpa i believe. Voltage is in the 12's
Dang. I was really hoping that we'd fixed it. NoRalPh is one of the resident experts. He'll be infinitely more helpful than my dumb ***.

·
Premium Member
8,692 Posts
I was told that the icp when unplugged defaults to 750psi when it isn't plugged in.
It actually defaults to @2100psi

Your readings don't make any sense though, try again ;) (and do the kPa to psi change)

12kPa is less than 2psi - that can't be

44% should be 65% with anything less than 500psi from the ICP - something's wrong there I'd think

12v While Cranking - No Way...

These are NOT arbitrary figures, their Exact reading are important (otherwise you're not helping to diagnose)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I meant 12000kpa my bad, but its actually 12000kpa to 14000kpa. While cranking my battery voltage drops down to 10.6v. It is 44% though. I'll check again in the am.

It actually defaults to @2100psi

Your readings don't make any sense though, try again ;) (and do the kPa to psi change)

12kPa is less than 2psi - that can't be

44% should be 65% with anything less than 500psi from the ICP - something's wrong there I'd think

12v While Cranking - No Way...

These are NOT arbitrary figures, their Exact reading are important (otherwise you're not helping to diagnose)
Hey Ralph, what parameters should i look for for those you listed. Also what other things should i look for? I'm going to be going in depth tomorrow with it cause its a slightly warmer day.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hey Ralph, what parameters should i look for for those you listed. Also what other things should i look for? I'm going to be going in depth tomorrow with it cause its a slightly warmer day.
Did plugging it in help?

NoRalPh said the pressure is low and I'm guessing that's the hpop but that's a very expensive guess.

Question: this happen suddenly? Just stopped starting or over time got harder to start?

Is the starter spinning the motor fast enough? I know there is a video from diesel tech Ron about that. If it's not spinning fast enough she won't start. Both batteries need to be good. Hook a jumper up just to test some extra power.

If I were you I'd get it started and drive it to the shop. If you are more mechanical than I am you can try this. This is where it gets beyond my patience level. At this point I'm ready to pay someone to fix it.

People used to always help out on here. I've noticed that is fewer anymore. Last time I had a problem and posted all of my codes no one even responded. There's a FB group but lot of users who give advice and have no idea what they're talking about or they're just being malicious. There's some good on there if you can tell good from bad.

Diesel tech Ron is the best and powerstroke help has some good content too. I think he had a whole crank no start diagnostics series you can check out. Both are on YouTube. DTR died a car crash a couple of years ago sadly but he still helps us powerstroke owners.

Sorry for your luck mate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Did plugging it in help?

NoRalPh said the pressure is low and I'm guessing that's the hpop but that's a very expensive guess.

Question: this happen suddenly? Just stopped starting or over time got harder to start?

Is the starter spinning the motor fast enough? I know there is a video from diesel tech Ron about that. If it's not spinning fast enough she won't start. Both batteries need to be good. Hook a jumper up just to test some extra power.

If I were you I'd get it started and drive it to the shop. If you are more mechanical than I am you can try this. This is where it gets beyond my patience level. At this point I'm ready to pay someone to fix it.

People used to always help out on here. I've noticed that is fewer anymore. Last time I had a problem and posted all of my codes no one even responded. There's a FB group but lot of users who give advice and have no idea what they're talking about or they're just being malicious. There's some good on there if you can tell good from bad.

Diesel tech Ron is the best and powerstroke help has some good content too. I think he had a whole crank no start diagnostics series you can check out. Both are on YouTube. DTR died a car crash a couple of years ago sadly but he still helps us powerstroke owners.

Plugging it in didnt help. All of my values are within what theyre supposed to be as far as I know. The starter is spinning like its brand new still. Whenever I try to start it I have my charger on it and whenever I'm not i have it on maintain until the next time I try. Im gonna have to figure something out. I realllly need this fixed. I start a new job soon. Thank you for all the help you've gave. I'll binge those peoples videos tomorrow.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Did plugging it in help?

Here's another. There is ICP and IPR and I don't know the difference.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Plugging it in didnt help. All of my values are within what theyre supposed to be as far as I know. The starter is spinning like its brand new still. Whenever I try to start it I have my charger on it and whenever I'm not i have it on maintain until the next time I try. Im gonna have to figure something out. I realllly need this fixed. I start a new job soon. Thank you for all the help you've gave. I'll binge those peoples videos tomorrow.
Also. When last winter it started doing this once a month but it was fine in the summer. This year its done this only this time but it hasn't started since it stopped. But its weird cause I had the alternator problem the day before it wasn't starting and then hasn't started since.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Also. When last winter it started doing this once a month but it was fine in the summer. This year its done this only this time but it hasn't started since it stopped. But its weird cause I had the alternator problem the day before it wasn't starting and then hasn't started since.
Sorry dude. I'm getting ready to take mine to the shop. Leaking oil like a mofo. It's draining down the valley. Front of valley is dry and back is wet so I am guessing turbo o rings. I probably could take it all apart but I'd be frustrated and spend 2 days screwing with it.

I wonder why so many people avoid the dealership?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Sorry dude. I'm getting ready to take mine to the shop. Leaking oil like a mofo. It's draining down the valley. Front of valley is dry and back is wet so I am guessing turbo o rings. I probably could take it all apart but I'd be frustrated and spend 2 days screwing with it.

I wonder why so many people avoid the dealership?

A lot of people think they just try to milk your money. My dad has a mechanic friend I take my truck to. He's mostly a diesel mechanic but does gas too. And yeah souns like the o rings.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts