Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was helping a friend move, and on my way my truck shut off and turned back on within a half second. When it turned back on the battery light was on. I took it back home, and left it running and checked the battery voltage. The battery voltage was only 12.2v. I figured it was a bad alternator, so I changed out the alternator and still the same thing. The only difference was the battery light wasn't on. The alternator never charged the batteries. The batteries are almost brand new not even a year old, so they're fine. They hold a charge etc. Fast forward to the next day, I go to try to run some tests and probe for voltages in various places and my truck won't start. white smoke coming out of the exhaust, and the tach only goes up to 100 rpm (it normally reads about 4-500 rpm while I'm cranking) So I go and buy a new cps from the ford dealership. replace that and the tach is still reading 100 rpm and still it won't start. All the fuses are fine, hpop is full, batteries are charged, oil level is full. what else could it be? It's a 2001 F250 6 speed.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Google Ford superduty diagnostics on the cheap and post your vital signs.

Maybe icp?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
811 Posts
I unplugged the icp and tried to start it a few times. it didn't change anything
You've got to look at those start up parameters using forscan. Otherwise you're just throwing a few thousand dollars in parts at it.

White smoke means fuel so it could be idm, starter not spinning fast enough, injectors etc. Post the parameters and someone here will give you some pointers.

Connecting and using forscan is easier than changing the cps. It's really simple.

·
Registered
811 Posts
What parameters should I be monitoring?
Off the top of my head rpm, icp, IPR, hpop, eot,

I think hpop needs to be over 500.

If you have a laptop forscan is free. You can do tests like the buzz test, koer, koeo, etc.

If you get smoke you have fuel. That's one thing without a sensor is fuel pressure.

It could be glow plug related since it's winter. Try plugging it in for a few hours so the eot goes up. The usual first stop is the glow plug relay. It's cheap and easy to replace.

If you have these things checked, someone who knows what they're talking about will be able to help. What I've told you is about the extent of my knowledge.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

If you have a laptop forscan is free. You can do tests like the buzz test, koer, koeo, etc.

If you get smoke you have fuel. That's one thing without a sensor is fuel pressure.

It could be glow plug related since it's winter. Try plugging it in for a few hours so the eot goes up. The usual first stop is the glow plug relay. It's cheap and easy to replace.

If you have these things checked, someone who knows what they're talking about will be able to help. What I've told you is about the extent of my knowledge.

Thank you! I'll check it when I wake up today.

·
Registered
811 Posts

I think 100 rpm is fine but it could be your starter isn't spinning fast enough.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think 100 rpm is fine but it could be your starter isn't spinning fast enough.

My starter is spinning at about 4-500rpm. It cranks very fast but my tach doesn't go over 100rpm. Before all this happened the tach would be 400 minimum and the sound of how fast it cranks has not change. Just the tach never goes above 100

·
Registered
811 Posts
My starter is spinning at about 4-500rpm. It cranks very fast but my tach doesn't go over 100rpm. Before all this happened the tach would be 400 minimum and the sound of how fast it cranks has not change. Just the tach never goes above 100
100 is enough to start. You changed cps with ford parts and get the same reading. Maybe hook up a jump start just to make sure there's enough power. Maybe one battery is dead. I can try to start mine in the morning and see what mine says. I don't think I go up to 500.

Hopefully the other guys chime in. There are a couple who I suspect are mechanics.

Plug her in for a few hours to eliminate that. I had a similar problem with an obs and nothing worked. It was before I knew about forscan.

I check in all the time so around 7-8 am if you want I can post my vital signs when starting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
100 is enough to start. You changed cps with ford parts and get the same reading. Maybe hook up a jump start just to make sure there's enough power. Maybe one battery is dead. I can try to start mine in the morning and see what mine says. I don't think I go up to 500.

Hopefully the other guys chime in. There are a couple who I suspect are mechanics.

Plug her in for a few hours to eliminate that. I had a similar problem with an obs and nothing worked. It was before I knew about forscan.

I check in all the time so around 7-8 am if you want I can post my vital signs when starting.

That would be amazing if you could post those. I'd be checking mine around 9am.

·
Registered
811 Posts
That would be amazing if you could post those. I'd be checking mine around 9am.
I'll see if I can video it while she starts. I'll try to do it before 9 am if possible. If one of the experts chimes in before with the required values I'll skip it. If not at least you can see mine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll see if I can video it while she starts. I'll try to do it before 9 am if possible. If one of the experts chimes in before with the required values I'll skip it. If not at least you can see mine.

Sounds good! Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine looks exactly the same on the ones other than accessories etc. Only difference is mu ipr is going up to 44% because its not starting

·
Registered
811 Posts
Mine looks exactly the same on the ones other than accessories etc. Only difference is mu ipr is going up to 44% because its not starting
Try plugging in for a few hours and get the EoT up. You can also test the gp relay. If you listen under the hood and have someone turn the key you can hear it click. Or put a multimeter on it and make sure it's coming on.

I'd hook up some additional power too. Could have a dead battery. I had a new one (got a set) go bad. Used my Hyundai to jump start and it fired up. Went to china-zone and one was replaced under warranty.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts