Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 6.0, the only thing I know for sure that was done before I got it was the EGR delete.

The truck ran fine for the longest time. Then one day took a little longer to start than usual. Once parked and shut off, it did the same thing, acting like it didnt have fuel, then finally firing. Third times a charm...it would crank but wouldn't start. No injector noise with the key on.

I had a buddy (professional mechanic) scan and try to give me a direction. He said he believed it was the FICM. Sent off the FICM to be repaired, reinstalled, now theres injector noise and it TRIES to hit, but still wont start. I'm at a loss.

Screenshots attached from torque pro. HPOP was reading 1500ish while cranking. Fuel pressure was ~65psi with key on.

Anybody got a direction for me?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,553 Posts
Have you done a bubble test on the fuel?

Does it quickly fill the secondary fuel filter bowl when the key is turned on?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I haven't done the bubble test, I'll have to look that up.
It fills the bowl pretty quickly.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think you need to do a pressure check on the hpo system. Why try to diagnose something without going through all the steps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you need to do a pressure check on the hpo system. Why try to diagnose something without going through all the steps.
I'm pretty new to diesels, so I was trying to work through what I know/have learned...that's why I came here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The bowl filled within a second of jet being on. Bubble test showed no bubbles whatsoever.

·
5,553 Posts
Have you resolved the cranking volts (ie battery load test)?

You say your ICP sensor pressure was 1500 psi when cranking, but that might be a default number. Please post the ICP volts when cranking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you resolved the cranking volts (ie battery load test)?

You say your ICP sensor pressure was 1500 psi when cranking, but that might be a default number. Please post the ICP volts when cranking.
The batteries were low due to me cranking constantly on the truck so I've had them on a charger.

The ICP pressure bounces between 1400ish and 1600ish while cranking. I can try to get a screenshot.

·
5,553 Posts
Post the voltage. I don't necessarily believe the pressure number (it is pretty high).

Torque Pro will give you the voltage. I can post the equation if you need it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Post the voltage. I don;t believe the pressure number.

Torque Pro will give you the voltage. I can post the equation if you need it.
The ICP Volts? It's the bottom of the little gauges. While cranking it reads 1.7 volts. Unless you meant something else, in which case I would appreciate the equation for it.

·
5,553 Posts
I see it now. I missed it before, sorry about that!

1.7 volts is equal to 1250 to 1300 psig (from a Ford table). That is plenty good. Not sure why you are reading 1500 psig, but the voltage is the one to rely on and it is good.

You posted FICM sync, but can you see if you have can/crank sync when cranking. I know that it SHOULD have cam/crank sync if you have FICM sync, but this is not 100% true.

Several other things to post would be the vreference voltage and MAF reading (air flow) when cranking.

Assuming the Sync is ok, then I am going to have to guess that it is an injector issue. Everything else seems to be good. Hopefully it doesn't come down to a base engine problem (compression).

·
5,553 Posts
You might also download ForScan. It reads codes better than Torque Pro does.

·
5,553 Posts
I just noticed your transmission temperature. Is it that cold where you are? 3 degrees?

If so, have you tried running the block heater for 4-5 hours before starting? Also what oil are you using?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just noticed your transmission temperature. Is it that cold where you are? 3 degrees?

If so, have you tried running the block heater for 4-5 hours before starting? Also what oil are you using?
I hadn't even paid attention, its definitely not cold here...I'm not sure why the temp would be reading that. Unless I put the equation in wrong.

As far as the cam/crank sync, how would I read that? Is there a PID for it?

·
5,553 Posts
Cam / Crank Sync: PID 2209cd​
Min Value: 0​
Max Value: 1​
Scales Factor: X1​
Unit Type:​
Equation {A:0}​
Unit header​
7E0​

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cam / Crank Sync: PID 2209cd​
Min Value: 0​
Max Value: 1​
Scales Factor: X1​
Unit Type:​
Equation {A:0}​
Unit header​
7E0​
Awesome, thank you. I'm on shift today, so I'll check as soon as I get home tomorrow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awesome, thank you. I'm on shift today, so I'll check as soon as I get home tomorrow.
Its showing I have cam/crank sync. But I noticed my logic power is dipping while cranking. I've been keeping my batteries on a trickle charger to keep them up, since I keep cranking on it. They're less than a year old.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts