Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Thank you in advance for any help. This is my first post.

I have been having fuel issues recently. 3 months ago purchased a 250 tank and 12v pump running off a deep cycle battery and charged by a solar panel.

I made this move specifically to run biodiesel(B20) from the local reputable supplier. Last week my new 2017 F550 6.7 with 2900 miles came back to my shop spraying fuel from a crack in the engine mounted fuel filter(OE part). I took the part to the dealership and they warrantied it no questions asked.

Today I pulled into the shop in my 2014 F250 6.7 with 86000 miles and it too was spraying fuel from a very similar crack in the Napa filter.

I have run biodiesel through my '14 6.7 many times and never had this issue prior to setting up my tank here at the shop so I'm going to lean towards blaming the additive that I have just now started using. I started putting Howes Diesel Treatment in my fuel 2 weeks ago. Is it fair to come to this conclusion or should I be looking for a different scapegoat?

I have also been running this mixture in my off road equipment with no strange issues. My '99 7.3 E350 sprung a leak after proactively draining the fuel bowl which I haven't located yet but I feel that it will be unrelated. Seems like everything always breaks at the same time!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have nothing to add that might help you, but I am very curious if you have figured out what was cracking your filters and if you are still having the problem.

Thanks,
John

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
6,775 Posts
I have used howes for 20k miles with no issues.

Do you have a heavy hand?

·
Premium Member
3,910 Posts
I have also been running this mixture in my off road equipment with no strange issues. My '99 7.3 E350 sprung a leak after proactively draining the fuel bowl which I haven't located yet but I feel that it will be unrelated. Seems like everything always breaks at the same time!
This kit will probably repair the 7.3 leak if its in the drain valve. My 2002 7.3 only had 55,000 miles on it when it started leaking two years ago, so it may not be a fuel related issue, just age,,, and the fact that "Murphy" seems to have stopped by for a visit with you. (ie. Murphy's Law)
Good luck, let us know what you learn.
https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/fuel-bowl-drain-valve-assembly-99-03/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the comments. I apparently haven't been receiving notifications when people respond to this topic. Wasn't trying to ignore anyone!

Yes the filters are only cracking when it is cold outside. I live in North Carolina so it never really gets terribly cold anyhow. This hasn't happened since last winter. Things haven't been cold for any extended period of time yet this fall though. I have also transitioned to only using biodiesel on occasion instead of every fill up. I also have stopped using the Howes. I don't believe that it was the additive's fault. Lots of people have great luck with that company's products.

The injector pumps on these 6.7 trucks require the lubrication from the diesel. I have heard horror stories of what happens to the 6.7 fuel system if even a small amount of water gets past the water separator that is in line before this filter. My engine seems to be running just fine so I certainly hope no water has made it by the previous filter. I think that rules out expanding water.

The filters were cracking in the same spot. It was a hairline crack approximately 2" long on the top of the filter. This style filter does not screw on so I strongly doubt it was my "heavy hand." It uses simple "push pull" hose attachment.

My truck is a 6.7 so the 7.3 kit won't be terribly helpfull but I will keep that in mind for my 7.3 van if the need should arrise. Thank you for the suggestion.

I have recently found the following kit that replaces the plastic filter with a traditional metal spin on. I will install this kit if the crack occurs again. Unfortunately this kit will only work on my 250 because the 550 has a third connection on the filter that I have not identified yet.
**H&S PERFORMANCE 11-16 FORD 6.7L FUEL FILTER CONVERSION KIT**
I found it on No Limit Fabrications site.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
How many miles on your 550 now? Since this thread is almost a year old is why I ask. If the third nipple is on the left hand side of the engine mounted fuel filter that is for the factory to bleed air out of the system. When you change them the Motorcraft filters only have the 2 fittings for the quick disconnect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm up to about 10k+/- on the 550 and 105k on the 250.

That would make sense on the fuel filter. I have replaced it 2 or 3 times now(because they were cracking) and all the filters I've purchased from the dealership all had three fittings. The replacement from my Napa also has three.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts