Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 02 after changing the oil and putting it at the full mark it wouldn't start, low icp. I noticed it was overfilled a bit when I got it, so I added 2qts, still no start, 300-350 icp, added 1qt then it started. I also get low icp if I go wot, at half throttle it will run about 2300-2500, then I hammer on it, and it falls to 1200. And if it sits overnight I turn the key on let it cycle, it starts up right away and runs for a couple seconds then dies, and then have to crank it for a few seconds to get it to start again.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a very similar problem with my 02 right now as well and I have been banging head against the wall. Are you loosing oil in your high pressure reservoir ? like over night

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
most of the time when i have a truck with that concern the low oil pressure pump is worn, causing it to lose prime , the fact that it starts and then shuts off tells ya that the high pressure side is ok, low pressure cant keep up

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That makes sense, but being that it needs to be overfilled to run would it still be the lpop? Or a cracked or broken pickup tube?

·
Premium Member
9,390 Posts
That makes sense, but being that it needs to be overfilled to run would it still be the lpop? Or a cracked or broken pickup tube?

it can be a broken or cracked pickup tube , but the chances of that are so slim, that its worth spending the 60.00 and at most a couple hours to try the low press pump first

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sorry to bring a old thread back but i am having a very similar. I just put a new melling lpop on. No difference. Im going to over fill it and try i guess.

Did you ever get your truck running?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did you have to pull the pan to replace the o ring?

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
yea these pick up tube seals are a poor design. would have been much better off with a round o ring. or square cut.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Where can i buy a pickup tube and seal? dealer only?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts