Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a suncoast tranny, and i put it in about 4 months ago no problems, when i went to change my oil today there was a crack by the bottem flywheel cover bolt (bout an inch away from it) and it ran almost to the very top of my tranny about 1-2 inches away from my bolts, and its seperating, what could have caused this? and any suggestions on what to do, cuz i dont want to buy another tranny it costed me way too much... can i buy just the front piece of the transmission? 99 f-250 juice with att. thanks for any help...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
im just worried i wont get any help from suncoast cuz ever since i ordered this they have been throwing me around with it...

·
Registered
553 Posts
dont know man but heres a bump:bump:

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
what kind of warranty did this tranny carry when you purchased it? mile/month wise. my freind has an aftermarket tranny, he blew it up in six months and they replaced it under warranty

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm sure they will warranty it. But, are just talking about the bell housing?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Sounds like ether very hard shifting or there was something in the way when it was bolted to the motor. The guts can be put in a new case for not to much money. I have looked at cleaned and checked cases on Ebay that sell for about $100. Sucks to pull it so soon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well suncoast would warranty it if it was internal, but not external, so instead they said if i bought a case either from them or had it shipped with my tranny that they would pull my internals, replace any worn parts, line pressure test it, and dyno it for $300 so i cant complain too much its just a bite in the *** to have to buy a complete core tranny for the case at like a 500 dollar cost...then 300 to ship it from gillette wy. to florida...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and i also twisted my drive shaft i found out after i took it in to be checked after replacing three sets of u-joints (i thought it was the extremely hard shifting that took them out) but it was twisted 1/4 inch, yes due to hard shifting haha and first thing suncoast asked was if i drove it with a bad u-joint or bad driveshaft cuz thats what breaks the case away from the engine... so yea my bad...

·
Registered
683 Posts
Well at least they will help out, thats something. Who ever you have do it I would have them soften up the shift a bit, pull about .025" worth of shim out of the valving.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i wonder if this is my problem. i was just about to post asking about this. i have broken 3 cases in 3 months. first i noticed a leak at the rear of the tranny before the extension housing, then a crack on the bellhousing.i made an 8 mile round trip to buy the only housing around me and pullend an all nighter to swap the internals. i got in too big of a hurry and cracked a parts going back together, but i pushed on "just to see". i ended up burning up all the clutches. so i had it completely rebuilt by my transmission guys since i didnt have time to fool with it myself anymore. i had a sonnax shift kit and boost valve put in, along with a few other internal upgrades and a billet triple disc converter. i got the tranny back and it always had a small leak in the rear. i found a crack in front of the extension housing that went from one side to the other. and all the bolts were finger tight. so i got another new case, swapped out all the parts and have been riding on it for about 3 weeks. yesterday it started making a noise at idle and looking at it today, i found another huge crack in the bellhousing, just like the first time it broke. the shifts are hard, but not enough to do this. my front driveshaft has a tiight spot in the u joint, but the rear seems fine. i have another case coming and i am sending both of my driveshafts out to be checked. hopefully i can find this problem before blowing another case.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After replacing two more transmissions i found out it wasnt my driveshaft, it was the engine mounts being busted. i noticed when i put in the transfer case that in order to even get the bolt back into the sloted holes in the cross member that i was lifting the rear of my engine. After checking it out i noticed the engine wasnt even on the supports anymore. since i have replaced them i have put probably 50,000 on my truck with no problems... so there is something to also check out...

·
Registered
31 Posts
thanks for that. when i busted the third case and realized it wasnt a fluke and that i had a real problems, the mounts were the first thing i thought of and had planned on doing when i put the new tranny in. honestly i have never even laid eyes on the engine mounts before. when it broke the first time, i had winched a vehicle onto my trailer. i forgot to take it(the vehicle i was winching) out of park and it actually pulled my truck bact to it about 10" before i had realized it. 2 hours later i found the crack in the bellhousing. i got everything swapped over to the new case, and it broke at the tailhousing. those bolts were finger tight so i kinda blamed it on the builder, but now realize that may have been in error. after this break, i am sure there is a real probem somewhere and its not a fluke. i planned on replaceing the mounts anyhow, just tot kind of shotgun the problem. thanks for the info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts