Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bulletproofed my 04 f550 and the truck ran before but now it cracks and is so close to starting but as soon as the oil pressure builds the starter kicks out and it stops cranking. Any idea what that could be and what to check??

·
Registered
3,886 Posts

So many things. I’d start with that sticky

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On 1.when it’s cold still cold it just cranks and sounds like it’s close to starting but as soon as it build oil pressure it just stops cranking and when you try it again it just cranks once then stops. I have checked the ficm and everything else with a scan tool and it shows everything is correct for it to be able to start and I have went over the whole wireing harness and everything looked the only thing I havnt done yet is check the oil rail.

So many things. I’d start with that sticky

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
What were the scan tool;s IPR, ICP, and FFICM voltage? Most scan tools don’t give these and you’d need a monitor.

If they were in range next may be the bubble test And after that, you probably need to start buying different tools to help troubleshoot like a fuel pressure gauge.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,964 Posts
Immediately after opening up the high pressure oil system (including the HPOP feed sump), you may experience some extended cranking before it will start (as the system is purging the air out).

You could also have a bad starter - one that quits when it gets hot.

Please post readings when you are cranking. Just saying that all of the readings are good is useless. If you take it to a mechanic and tell him that it doesn't start even though all the readings are good, he is going to basically dismiss your comment and check the readings anyway. Why should we be any different? This is what thorough mechanics will do. First thing is to check for codes.

I assume that the oil level is good (not low OR high) and that the oil is fresh, the oil and fuel filters are new (and they should be OEM filters), and that the air filter is fine? IF there may be any issues there, then please post. Oh, and the oil filter cap should be OEM also.

We need to see the following readings when cranking:

Cam/Crank sync
FICM sync
Cranking rpm
FICM MPower voltage
FICM VPower voltage
FICM LPower voltage
ICP pressure
ICP volts
IPR % duty cycle
V-reference voltage
Fuel (injector) pulse width

Also, remove the upper fuel filter and have someone turn the key on to fill the filter bowl. Post how long it takes ....it should fill fast so be prepared. Oh, and there should be no air bubbles in the fuel when the filter bowl fills.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What were the scan tool;s IPR, ICP, and FFICM voltage? Most scan tools don’t give these and you’d need a monitor.

If they were in range next may be the bubble test And after that, you probably need to start buying different tools to help troubleshoot like a fuel pressure gauge.

What I had was a monitor and it will tell you all those things including fuel pressure and everything looked good

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,964 Posts
The 6.0L did not come equipped with a fuel pressure (diesel pressure) sensor.....so a monitor will not tell you that - despite "what you think it told you". You need add-on equipment to get that value.

Many people claim to have a monitor, but it is only their tuner or a scangauge (or worse yet a very cheap monitor). They do not read codes very well at all. That is why we ask what is being used.

If you don't post readings, we can only guess.

·
Registered
163 Posts
#1 Check your icp WHILE cranking. Does it get above 500. Like the other op said if you want help, post your numbers.
#2 it’s not that hard to kill a starter on one of these trucks in my experience. I cooked a 6.4 starter when my airdog took a dump last fall
#3 check fuel pressure
#4 if none of that post numbers to rule these out and these guys will point you in another direction

I assume you don’t know all the “good” numbers when diagnosing one of these because I’ve been dealing with the dreaded 6.0 for 5 years now and I still don’t know. This is a routine you will get used to WHEN your 6.0 breaks. For example you might be seeing 480-490 cranking ICP numbers thinking that it’s building pressure but the truck won’t start unless you get above 500. This happened to my truck last week and almost stranded my brother over an hour from home- bad icp in my case hopefully yours too cause an hpop could be the culprit and it’s not cheap or fun to do.

also from what I know you can’t check fuel pressure on a 6.0 unless you install a gauge directly to the fuel bowl.I’ve heard these trucks don’t read that information through their computers. Unplug the output line on fuel pump and see if it throws fuel to confirm
Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
ForScan is the monitor you need to troubleshoot these trucks
the BAFX or OBDLink MX adapter is preferred

As others have said, post the numbers -- there are real mechanics and enthusiasts here that will help
codes and sensor numbers -- without using those tools, you are just wasting time and money

·
Registered
611 Posts
What I had was a monitor and it will tell you all those things including fuel pressure and everything looked good
Yeah? What was the icp value?
If your not a troll, then you'll take time to post the #s that your being asked for, or you can take it to a qualified mechanic, or just give up and sell it. Pick your choice, either way, you'll get it sorted.

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
I just noticed the title to this thread, I think @6riders is correct ---Troll

1 - 11 of 11 Posts