Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is the cam positioning senor to replace? And does anyone have pics or can point me in the right direction of were to locate it

·
Registered
214 Posts
the sensor is located on the pass side of the eng down by the harmonic balancer it take a 10 mm socket and about 10 min to change

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Super easy and and thats what it ended up being thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
139 Posts
10 oclock from the crank pulley. :)

Glad it was easy!

BTW, what color is it that's supposedly defective, the gray or black?

·
Registered
252 Posts
What were the symptoms ya'll were experiencing?

I just replaced mine and it was the grey sensor. It was not a year old. The dealer replaced for free while the truck was in there for another reason.

My engine would cut off randomly. At 50, 60, 70 mph and even @ idle. Just die on me and I could crank back up with no problem and she runs fine until time to die again. It might run all day or 20 min. before cutting off again. I never could pull any codes; the CEL never came on long enough to get the scanner to it.

I replaced the CPS last night and this morning I had no problems on the way to work- I guess we will see if that took care of the problem. I just wanted to see if my issues sounded similar to ya'll. Thanks.

One other question - All I did was pull the old CPS and install new one. Do I need to do anything else, disconnect batteries to reset anything, ect..

Thanks again for any and all input.

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
10 oclock from the crank pulley. :)

Glad it was easy!

BTW, what color is it that's supposedly defective, the gray or black?
the black one was the "defective" one. im told the grey isnt any better. :dunno:

What were the symptoms ya'll were experiencing?

I just replaced mine and it was the grey sensor. It was not a year old. The dealer replaced for free while the truck was in there for another reason.

My engine would cut off randomly. At 50, 60, 70 mph and even @ idle. Just die on me and I could crank back up with no problem and she runs fine until time to die again. It might run all day or 20 min. before cutting off again. I never could pull any codes; the CEL never came on long enough to get the scanner to it.

I replaced the CPS last night and this morning I had no problems on the way to work- I guess we will see if that took care of the problem. I just wanted to see if my issues sounded similar to ya'll. Thanks.

One other question - All I did was pull the old CPS and install new one. Do I need to do anything else, disconnect batteries to reset anything, ect..

Thanks again for any and all input.
sounds like the cps. and no. just plug and play :thumb:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well it was not the CPS. I had to have it towed this morning. I had no way of checking the Fuel or HPOP but we will see.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The motor will die while I am driving at no particular speed or rpm. I coast to a stop and crank it back up. It starts back up just fine, idles just fine, and runs like there is nothing wrong. It will just kill it self at random. This has been going on for approx. 2 weeks. When it first started it was just a few times (Once a day every other day or so) and as of last night I could not make it across a parking lot.

I have no CEL, batteries are good, changed the CPS, changed fuel filter, fresh oil and filter change - can't see or find anything out of place.

Last night it got so bad that I had to leave it at a friend's house and have it towed to the shop. I really did not want to do that but I did not have a whole lot of options. I was really counting on my problem being the CPS.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
fuel pump? injector harness under the valve covers? maybe injector related
Jarrod did you get yours fixed yet? If not bring it to me and maybe we can make one truck out of the one I have that wont start!:hehe:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Did you end up getting this figured out TxAg?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts