Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

CP4 Choices

8K views 43 replies 7 participants last post by  twood71 
#1 ·
read a lot on how you change the CP4 and it's mostly talk on why ,, but can't find enough info to settle my choices.

Today I seen metal shavings in my factory filler cup when I changed my fuel filters out today. No gunk or slime or rust, just shiny silver, I'd say to the eye I seen enough to say "F$CK" and be worried, but I'm confused on next step.

off the top my head I'm thinking can I change out the CP4 and just change the fuel filters out aggressively next 6 months? Obviously I have no clue about the rest of the fuel components? I mean it's running and if not seen that today I'd say it's running top like it should be, but does this mean I have no shavings in the lines and tank if it's running? I think how I understand it, if I had shavings in lines or the tank it wouldn't be running and understand I very possibly be wrong on this.

Next is just taking it to a shop and have the CP4 replaced and lines flushed and have an excuse to put a larger 100 gallon tank on it and dump the smaller factory tank, maybe a disaster kit? But I have read some disaster kits did not do their job so I'm up in the air on those.

#3 ·
Naw, got caught up in cleaning it all out.

It was not covered up on the bottom, but not suppose to be any in there and it was enough to not like it

#4 ·
This may be a PITA but I'd drive it around the block. Drop the housing again and inspect it. You might have caught it in time to just swap out the HPFP.
IF you want to go that route you need to plan on dropping the tank for inspection. That might be a better indicator of "how bad is it".

#7 ·
2015 f350 has 100500 on it

No pic, didn't think about one at the time, but I have never had anything in the cup on all my filter changes up to today and yet it wasn't huge amount but about 15 pieces of it along with multiple small glitter sizes, I'd bet if all was in the palm of my hand I'd say it be the size of a dime to a penny.

#9 ·
So I'm gonna think ahead and ask--If this does not show anymore metal in filter again and or this meter valve, what is the opinion of the amount I saw in the cup, what's this mean, bad gas at one time?

#11 ·
The metal shavings were as expected to be, nothing super hard. I use Hot Shots EDD for about last 2 summers, used to put a shot of diesel extreme every oil change in the tank before hand until I started to hear about CP4's going out on the 2015-2016's, I switched to the HS EDD

#13 · (Edited)
It's going to be a process either way, so your best bet is to pull off the metering valve and inspect it first. If it looks good (no shavings), then all you need is new pump, tank cleaned, lift pump, fuel cooler, and a couple new (or flush) fuel lines.

When my pump blew I did everything myself (except injectors and rails since I had a DPK), so feel free to ask me anything and I'll be glad to help. I know the feeling and I give my condolences to your wallet.

#14 ·
so,whats the diagram on this fuel system? I know it maybe basically but never had to deal with so not sure the path

Is it the tank to the water separator up to the 2nd fuel filter in engine bay to the CP4, is that the lay out route?

#16 ·
Basically it goes tank, lift pump/lower FF, upper FF, CP4, rails, injectors. Then return side goes (injectors, rails, CP4) all return to the tank. I believe it goes through the lift pump assembly and fuel cooler on return as well.

If you have a disaster kit, instead of the cp4 return fuel being reused and sent back in to pump heads then injectors, they always get "clean" fuel from the upper fuel filter.

It is really confusing and took me forever to understand. I still don't understand 100% but that's the general route it takes.

#17 ·
The more I read on the CP4 the more I get depressed, it's like looking up MD for your symptoms!

so, this all can happen again?

I understand the prevention kits but do they/aftermarket have a pump that does not fail now?

#18 ·
Haha yes this can happen again and again unfortunately. The only real way to act preventative is the disaster kit and fuel additive.

The exergy pump like I'm running has improved internals I believe and their better mprop screen. I wish we could have a CP3 conversion, but there isn't enough room for one where the CP4 is. You can do a dual fueler setup which adds a CP3, but the CP4 is still there.

#23 ·
Also, cleaning the tank out-I don't care how cute the youtube girl was but do you really flush it out with a water hose?????? don't sound correct to me, diesel tank and a water hose?

#24 ·
I dropped mine first (about half full), siphoned the remaining fuel out, then dumped some simple green in it and sloshed it around. I did that several times then rinsed it out with water another couple times. When it was dry, it looked brand new inside. I also inspected inside with a snake camera to be sure. This process was probably the easiest out of everything I had to do.

I would buy 2 or even 3 sets of fuel filters. After everything is fixed, drive it for about a hundred miles then change the filters just in case. The upper filter will more than likely catch any leftover debris and if you have the S&S kit, you can inspect the fuel coming out of the pump.

Reactions: twood71
#26 ·
I have a 2016 with 106k, this pump is on my mind every road trip. I understand US diesel is lacking proper lube for the pump, but is there any other reason for the pump failures? I believe most owners are told the failures where due to fuel contamination, most owners say the fuel was fine.
Did you buy the truck new?
Where do you buy your fuel?.
Did you use additive?
Is it driven often or does it sit?
Tuner?
Anyone who has experienced a failure please chime in. I do not think Ford has ever addressed the failures with data.

thanks

#29 ·
I have a 2016 with 106k, this pump is on my mind every road trip. I understand US diesel is lacking proper lube for the pump, but is there any other reason for the pump failures? I believe most owners are told the failures where due to fuel contamination, most owners say the fuel was fine.
Did you buy the truck new?
Where do you buy your fuel?.
Did you use additive?
Is it driven often or does it sit?
Tuner?
Anyone who has experienced a failure please chime in. I do not think Ford has ever addressed the failures with data.

thanks
My truck had the original CP4 fail in 2016. It was not due to fuel contamination, although the dealer tried to blame it on that. They even tested the fuel and everything, it came out fine. Long story short it was covered under warranty. Sometimes these pumps just fail on their own. The most common problem is the roller getting off track, rotating, and shredding itself. My 2nd failure was due to a Warren DIY 55 over kit I put in. It appeared the plungers were putting too much pressure on the roller to begin with, so as soon as the truck and pump started, it was shredding metal.

I use Archoil fuel additive on every fill up now. The Ford additive is OK, but any other product will be better. I am thinking about switching to Hotshot's secret because my Archoil bottles keep leaking everywhere. I change my fuel filters about every 10k and drain my water/fuel separator every month or so.

I do not believe Ford has ever mentioned anything official regarding the failures, but iirc there was a class action suit a few years back. Not sure what ever happened to/with it. Every Ford mechanic I know and have spoken to know about the failures and don't understand why Ford is still putting CP4's in their trucks when Dodge went back to CP3 and GM went to the HP4. I guess it's just another source of money for them, so why bother.

#27 ·
If everything goes my way on investigation and then clean up, I plan on putting the SPE-S100142 SPE Disaster kit and sending it. This is what I have come to agreement with because From what I have already read on the 2011-2014's from pass years and then as the 2015's and up started putting on the mileage and finding out they fail now, it don't matter in my mind, it's just when? Kinda like replace your timing belt on those smaller gas engines at around 75,000 miles+ regardless, because if it goes it will take out a perfectly good running engine, I do like the feed back on the above kit I mention, sounds like best protection along with lubing the fuel. .

#28 ·
Do not buy SPE. Do yourself a favor and buy the S&S Gen2 kit. I had the SPE kit and the return screen failed. Their customer service is also trash. The S&S kit is much nicer, better made, and install is way easier.

#30 ·
It's a bit depressing over the CP4 honestly. it had me consider selling the 2015 truck, my mileage is only 100522, admit it was off emotions selling it for those 4 days, but I'm back at keeping it.

I drove it Friday night for about 40 minutes and Saturday morning I drained fuel bowl again and checked it out, no shavings at all, clean. So happy on that so far.

I did consider that SPE would have lots of positive feed backs on it's own site, so I checked around on topics and have seen quit a few negative feed backs and including your comment on the screen blow thru it would make that 3 times I have read that, honestly after reading just 2 comments on the screen blow out I looked into S&S system gen2 and have read mostly all positive on the new system. At this point I'm picking that one.

This CP4 reminds me about the small car makers and what made them say about changing out the timing belt at 75,000 miles regardless, they could break and ruined a perfectly good engine. Only Ford does not recommend changing out the CP4 at a certain mileage, but proof is they go out when ever and not determined lol

seriously it sucks.

#33 ·
Reactions: GregWork
#34 ·
is there a top brand for the FCA valve on the CP4? I figure factory at NAPA autoparts if I need one

#35 ·
Exergy makes one with an improved screen.

Reactions: twood71
#37 ·
seen a few vids of removing items to get to the cp4, nothing mentioned about gaskets needed if any putting it back together? I'm at Rudy's with the the S&S gen2 and a new upgraded exergy Inlet Metering Valve for now, been a bit having this stuff apart, I thought there was a gasket on the cold pipe I can avoid so not to replace, memory right on that?

#40 ·
Pretty sure you can flush the lines for the kit and re use it (minus the return filter). If it works as expected, you'll only need to replace the pump itself and like 1 or 2 hp lines.

#41 ·
Installed the S&S gen2 and everything is a go, FCA looked great and so did the inlet of the cp4.

Only issue is I must have yanked on a coolant line to hard so I have a drip from the snap on hook up, how many Orings are inside that thing? I can't remember when I lost weight on it?

Is there just Orings do get or is there a kit for it?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust

#42 ·
If I recall correctly I think there's only 1 o-ring in the white snap connector. On mine, the o-ring where the metal coolant tube snaps into the metal intake plenum broke. Ford charged me $7 for a standard yellow-painted o-ring that I actually had in my o-ring kit. My guess would be it's a standard size that you can find anywhere for a couple cents.

#44 ·
It's 2 Orings with a plastic washer between them,, and it didn't stop the leak, under Rev ups, idles no leak but on a 3000rpm Rev it leaks, plus the fitting it moves around on the rev.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Auto part

Thoughts, I'm considering getting a brass T-fitting there and hose clamping all three connections, thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.