Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
read a lot on how you change the CP4 and it's mostly talk on why ,, but can't find enough info to settle my choices.

Today I seen metal shavings in my factory filler cup when I changed my fuel filters out today. No gunk or slime or rust, just shiny silver, I'd say to the eye I seen enough to say "F$CK" and be worried, but I'm confused on next step.

off the top my head I'm thinking can I change out the CP4 and just change the fuel filters out aggressively next 6 months? Obviously I have no clue about the rest of the fuel components? I mean it's running and if not seen that today I'd say it's running top like it should be, but does this mean I have no shavings in the lines and tank if it's running? I think how I understand it, if I had shavings in lines or the tank it wouldn't be running and understand I very possibly be wrong on this.

Next is just taking it to a shop and have the CP4 replaced and lines flushed and have an excuse to put a larger 100 gallon tank on it and dump the smaller factory tank, maybe a disaster kit? But I have read some disaster kits did not do their job so I'm up in the air on those.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any pics of what you found?
Naw, got caught up in cleaning it all out.

It was not covered up on the bottom, but not suppose to be any in there and it was enough to not like it

·
Premium Member
11,612 Posts
This may be a PITA but I'd drive it around the block. Drop the housing again and inspect it. You might have caught it in time to just swap out the HPFP.
IF you want to go that route you need to plan on dropping the tank for inspection. That might be a better indicator of "how bad is it".

·
BBBRRRRRTTTTT
7,378 Posts
Need a picture or something to help you verify.

If you can park it and send off a sample.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2015 f350 has 100500 on it

No pic, didn't think about one at the time, but I have never had anything in the cup on all my filter changes up to today and yet it wasn't huge amount but about 15 pieces of it along with multiple small glitter sizes, I'd bet if all was in the palm of my hand I'd say it be the size of a dime to a penny.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
You need to pull the meter valve off the CP4 and check for glitter on the screen. That will tell you if the HPFP is toast.

Dime size chunks in the DFCM isn’t the typical sign of CP4 issues. It shouldn’t run if the disintegration fallout is that big.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I'm gonna think ahead and ask--If this does not show anymore metal in filter again and or this meter valve, what is the opinion of the amount I saw in the cup, what's this mean, bad gas at one time?

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
How hard was the metal? Do you use additives? Dime/penny sized 'could' have been bottle seals dropped in tank and sucked into DFCM. It is hard to determine your issue without more data and pictures....

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The metal shavings were as expected to be, nothing super hard. I use Hot Shots EDD for about last 2 summers, used to put a shot of diesel extreme every oil change in the tank before hand until I started to hear about CP4's going out on the 2015-2016's, I switched to the HS EDD

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
The metal shavings were as expected to be, nothing super hard. I use Hot Shots EDD for about last 2 summers, used to put a shot of diesel extreme every oil change in the tank before hand until I started to hear about CP4's going out on the 2015-2016's, I switched to the HS EDD
The metal from the CP4 is very hard to withstand/ generate the pump forces of 30K PSI. If yours was soft stuff, then I would lean even more towards some kind of tank contamination.

You really need to check that pump screen.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F-250 6.7 Lariat
234 Posts
It's going to be a process either way, so your best bet is to pull off the metering valve and inspect it first. If it looks good (no shavings), then all you need is new pump, tank cleaned, lift pump, fuel cooler, and a couple new (or flush) fuel lines.

When my pump blew I did everything myself (except injectors and rails since I had a DPK), so feel free to ask me anything and I'll be glad to help. I know the feeling and I give my condolences to your wallet.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so,whats the diagram on this fuel system? I know it maybe basically but never had to deal with so not sure the path

Is it the tank to the water separator up to the 2nd fuel filter in engine bay to the CP4, is that the lay out route?

·
Premium Member
11,612 Posts
Download the 2011 and 2015 books. They will give you some good info, not super technical but they help.

·
Registered
234 Posts
so,whats the diagram on this fuel system? I know it maybe basically but never had to deal with so not sure the path

Is it the tank to the water separator up to the 2nd fuel filter in engine bay to the CP4, is that the lay out route?
Basically it goes tank, lift pump/lower FF, upper FF, CP4, rails, injectors. Then return side goes (injectors, rails, CP4) all return to the tank. I believe it goes through the lift pump assembly and fuel cooler on return as well.

If you have a disaster kit, instead of the cp4 return fuel being reused and sent back in to pump heads then injectors, they always get "clean" fuel from the upper fuel filter.

It is really confusing and took me forever to understand. I still don't understand 100% but that's the general route it takes.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The more I read on the CP4 the more I get depressed, it's like looking up MD for your symptoms!

so, this all can happen again?

I understand the prevention kits but do they/aftermarket have a pump that does not fail now?

·
Registered
234 Posts
The more I read on the CP4 the more I get depressed, it's like looking up MD for your symptoms!

so, this all can happen again?

I understand the prevention kits but do they/aftermarket have a pump that does not fail now?
Haha yes this can happen again and again unfortunately. The only real way to act preventative is the disaster kit and fuel additive.

The exergy pump like I'm running has improved internals I believe and their better mprop screen. I wish we could have a CP3 conversion, but there isn't enough room for one where the CP4 is. You can do a dual fueler setup which adds a CP3, but the CP4 is still there.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha yes this can happen again and again unfortunately. The only real way to act preventative is the disaster kit and fuel additive.

The exergy pump like I'm running has improved internals I believe and their better mprop screen. I wish we could have a CP3 conversion, but there isn't enough room for one where the CP4 is. You can do a dual fueler setup which adds a CP3, but the CP4 is still there.
What vendor you pick up the exergy pump at? Or is that who it is "Exergy"

·
Registered
234 Posts
What vendor you pick up the exergy pump at? Or is that who it is "Exergy"
I got mine from Rudy's. They have great shipping times and customer service too.

Reactions: twood71
1 - 20 of 44 Posts