Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been answered, but a search just turns up info for bio diesel. I'm wanting to know what kind of oil I need and how to tell what it is for WVO applications. I've been reading about partially hydrogenated, shortening, lard, soy, canola oil... There are so many of them.

Is there anything in particular that won't work with Vegistroke? I have to do something soon. My only vehicle is my truck, so I'm spending $800-1000 a month on diesel, and as much as I've tried, I can't sell the truck for even a 10k loss. I just don't want to drop $4500 on the kit and the filtration stuff until I have a source for the oil and get a couple hundred gallons accumulated. I plan on stealing Clay's design for the filter. :)

Clay, how much do you charge for house calls setting all this crap up? LOL

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Sorry if this has been answered, but a search just turns up info for bio diesel. I'm wanting to know what kind of oil I need and how to tell what it is for WVO applications. I've been reading about partially hydrogenated, shortening, lard, soy, canola oil... There are so many of them.

Is there anything in particular that won't work with Vegistroke? I have to do something soon. My only vehicle is my truck, so I'm spending $800-1000 a month on diesel, and as much as I've tried, I can't sell the truck for even a 10k loss. I just don't want to drop $4500 on the kit and the filtration stuff until I have a source for the oil and get a couple hundred gallons accumulated. I plan on stealing Clay's design for the filter. :)

Clay, how much do you charge for house calls setting all this crap up? LOL
I charge 100 bucks an hour....just like an attorney...even for phone calls...lol...JK

any oil or fat that is squezed from a plant, pig, whale or oprah Winfrey's hinney will work in a vegistroke :)eek:he said hinney). Seriously. Some oils have higher cetain values but most of the common ones are very close to being the same. When you find a restaurant you want to target for there oil, look out back in there dumpster. There should be some 5 gallon cardboard boxes with these plastic containers inside. It will have a label on it indicating it is a frying oil. Read the ingredients and if it says Partially Hydrogenated, I would avoid it -NOT because it won't work fine in your heated vegistroke, because it will work absolutely fine. The reason i avoid it is (and this is 10 fold in winter) at temps of about 75 degrees, it is still a solid or like lumpy gravy that has set out all night. Pouring this through a strainer into a prefilter barrel is impossible unless you raise the temp. of it to at least...oh, 90* maybe. In winter time it will be solid like a stick of butter. Now if you decide to use it, and have the patience to deal with it, it will burn in your heated system just peachy. :D

It took 32 minutes to type this...that will be 50 bucks....:D

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish my attorney was as cheap as you. LOL That's cool that you can burn anything. I know a girl whose mom is a massage therapist. I wonder if I could burn the essential oil drippings from her sessions... :D

One of the reasons I haven't done WVO yet is I thought it was as complicated as bio in the type of oil you needed. I'm glad if I accidentally get some partially hydrogenated stuff that it won't be the end of the world.

I don't have a garage, so what I'm thinking of doing is getting like a 12x12 metal building and just sitting it on the end of my gravel driveway so the inevitable spillage won't turn into the Exxon Valdez. I might insulate the building and stick a heat pump window unit in it for the wintertime so everything doesn't turn into a big lump of lard. Is the area you use heated? Or do you just have heat blankets on your storage tanks or something?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts