Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all, I am a new 6.0 owner that has been sulking around this board since I bought my 2005 crew cab a month ago. Boy am I glad I crossed paths with you all! :thumb: I just did a coolant flush and here are my results...

2005 crewcab long box F250 with about 104k on the clock. No obvious signs of EGR cooler issues. Based on the info found here (and elsewhere) I purchased a gallon of Restore and a gallon of Restore Plus. Also purchased 4 gallons of CAT EC-1 coolant concentrate. If you are in southern Colorado and need to locate this stuff, drop me a note.

Thermostat out, liberal hose water flush and then a full gallon of Restore in for 2.5 hours. Several liberal hose water flushes and saw very little sign of anything too disconcerting coming from the radiator. But wait, I need to pull the block drain! Whoa!!!! There was piles and piles of gooey snot coming from the block drain. Many dozen iterations of fill/run/drain/flush/repeat and I think I got it all out (I sure hope). Then on to the Restore Plus.

Essentially the same drill, but in this case the resulting drains showed a yellowish brown color and many flakes of what I assume were gelled silicates. Brown in color, very thin flakes and less snot like, but still a slime like consistency. Didn't see much in the way of solid particles or rust.

In any case, I am very glad I found this forum and didn't ignore the potential for a silicate blockage. I just hope I caught it in time... The ScanGauge 2 showed up just before I started, and I didn't have time to establish a baseline delta -T. I'm going on a 45 mile trip tomorrow, and the temperature should be about 90 in the afternoon, so that will be a good test. One question - what is the procedure for measuring the EOT/ECT delta-T? I have read 55 MPH for 15-20 miles while watching the temperatures on a level road. Is this right? How does ambient temperature effect things? I will be lightly loaded (4 adults and 4 sets of golf clubs). However, I am going to be on a 75 MPH highway. Should I expect a larger delta-T?

Any thoughts are appreciated, and once again thanks for being such a great collection of individuals willing to help one another out.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are my observations after the flush I did the other day...

Using Scangauge 2, EOT and ECT sensors appear to be reading OK at ambient temperatures and are within a couple of degrees of each other when stone cold.

Ambient temp 74 F, 55 MPH, unloaded, fairly level, 10 miles, ave EOT 204 F, ave ECT 195 F, ave delta T 9 F, max delta T observed 11 F.

Ambient temp 82 F, 65 MPH, unloaded, 25 miles, small ups and downs, but on average slightly downhill, ave EOT 205 F, ave ECT 195 F, ave delta T 10 F, max delta T observed 12 F.

Ambient temp 82 F, 75 MPH, unloaded, 25 miles, small ups and downs, but on average slightly uphill, ave EOT 216 F, ave ECT 204 F, ave delta T 12 F, max delta T observed 12 F.

Ambient temp 60 F, 75-80 MPH, 4 adults with golf clubs, small ups and downs, didn't have time to observe data closely, but I did see some spikes of delta T over 17 deg F.

Does this all appear within spec? I do not know the exact procedure for doing the test, and am not sure how increased speed and ambient temperature will effect the expected delta T.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome (and encouraged!!! :)

MikeB

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Hi Mike,
It sounds like you have a bit of blockage in your oil cooler. I would try to reverse flush it if you can.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fr the reply EvilEye.

I found the road test procedure for determing the delta T. (ECT >190, WOT and observe the delta at throttle tip out.) When I did this yesterday I only saw a delta of 4 or 5 degrees. However, the steady running temp difference has me worried... another thing that has me worried...

I think I can hear coolant boiling for a few seconds right when I shut down (I assume it is boiling in the EGR cooler), so I think I may just be headed for a bit of work...

MikeB

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
If you hear coolant boiling, your coolant system isn't maintaining pressure, which may just be a bad degas cap. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yeah sounds like you may have some blockage. The "proper" temp delta test is at 65 mph on flat ground after the truck has reached 190+* ECT. Based on your above data it looks like you have a 10 - 12* temp delta at that and so I would recommend a reverse flush like Evil suggested. Would have been nice to know the before delta so you would know if this was an improvement or worse than what you have before. Regardless, a reverse flush should help clear it up some. Sounds like you got a lot of the crap out of your system tho.

Did you install a coolant filter? If not get one in now! The one from DieselSite is a great and easily installed filter that's a bypass style so unlike the inlines, if the filter clogs it won't stop your coolant from circulating.
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=324

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just had my oil cooler replaced about 600-700 miles ago and the first 100 miles there was no coolant filter installed in the truck. I live in las Vegas and the weather is pretty hot 100-108 lately. When I make my trip to work the temp is about 104 ish outside and on avg I see a 10-13 degree difference in the EOT and ECT and one time I have seen a 15.1-2 degree difference when going up a slight hill at about 70. Could this oil cooler be going bad already? the dealer said they flushed it but I don't know how good they do it. When my oil cooler was bad I was getting oil temps of 265 going up a pretty good grade and coolant temps of 179 (stuck open thermostat) thats a 86 degree difference at its worst! Avg difference was about 50 degrees.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fellows,

Thanks for the replies. I'll do some thinking about the coolant filter. I was thinking about an Amsoil bypass oil filter that would go in the same spot as the coolant filter, so I may decide to make my own coolant bypass system.

I will likely get a new coolant tank cap just to be sure.

One final thought... as we get into the Independence Day weekend, I wanted to thank all of the vets we have for their contribution to maintaining the independence and freedom we all enjoy. Thank you. :flag:

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts