Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
6.2 Convert
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-

I'm in the middle of my project. Completed my multiple flushes, used Restore & Restore Plus, and performed a reverse flush both before and after the chemical flushes. I've got the oil cooler out of the truck now (I swear if I had to find one more connector to unplug on that wiring harness I'd have given up) and am in the process of rebuilding it but as I'm cleaning up the cover I'm noticing some corrosion in the coolant passages. There was a ton of gunk that came out in the flushes but my water was crystal clear when I was done but this corrosion is concerning. If I attached the picture correctly you'll be able to see it. It only seems to be on certain types of metal like the oil cooler and the thermostat housing. Is this something I need to worry about? The truck is an 04 with 92,000 miles and the coolant was changed at the 60,000 mile service. I've got my ELC and filter ready to go for the reassembly process. Any thoughts???

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Maybe whoever did the 60k service used tap water? Or maybe the mix was too acidic (too little water with an OAT coolant)?

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Looks like "hard water" deposits.
X2 what JIM_C said, whoever did your flush used tap water (and very "hard" tap water at that).
If you did the complete flush, you should be ok.

You probably know this, but I like to remind people that do their own oil cooler.
Make 100% sure that absolutely nothing gets below the HPOP reservoir screen under the oil cooler. All it takes is just one piece of junk to kill the IPR valve. The word clean just does not do justice to just how clean it has to be.

·
6.2 Convert
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys. The 60k service was done at the local dealer. I'll have to ask them what water source they use next time I'm in there. I cleaned off the visible deposits and have started putting everything back together.

NYC- I had read several of your previous posts on cleanliness so I took it very easy around the screen. The old one wasn't torn so I left it in place while I cleaned the valley. I only pulled it out when I was ready to put the new one in and it worked out great. If it hadn't been for your advice I probably wouldn't have been so careful in my cleaning process. Thanks a ton!!!

·
6.2 Convert
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, I put the new one in that came with the cooler. I wasn't super clear about that in my last post!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts