Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know when the cooling fan should be spinning at lower rpms and when it kicks up into higher gears? My truck has been hitting 220 coolant and 230 oil temps on the highway when I'm going about 80 mph and no fan engagement at all. The weird thing is if i drop to 75 mph my coolant will stay around 200 and oil wont break 215. This is all with a completely empty truck. Those higher temps are normal when I'm towing but not empty.
I ask about the fan because the water pump, radiator, thermostat, degas cap and oil cooler are all new. I have a large ranch hand style bumper that I'm sure blocks some air flow and I would think the fan would compensate for that. But i want to be sure I'm not just being paranoid.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Easy way to check if the fan is working, put your AC on, fan should come on automatically. If not, could be a temp sensor or the fan itself. But, at 220, the fan should be working.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How loud should that be? i have used the ac off and on a ton lately and never noticed a sound difference.
Thanks for replying

·
Registered
136 Posts
How loud should that be? i have used the ac off and on a ton lately and never noticed a sound difference.
Thanks for replying
When the fan kicks on, it's LOUD AF!
I regularly tow a 9,000-pound trailer through the mountains and near the top of a long high grade that fan kicks in to cool the motor down.
I'm pulling about 2500 to 3000 rpms in 3rd or 4th gear (long steep grades) and doing about 50-60 mph with the windows up and A/C blowing and the radio on and I can STILL hear the fan kick on when my temp hits about 230 or so. So yea, like I said, it's LOUD AF.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts