Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 F250 dual stacks with 4 inch straight pipe and everytime I turn on the A/C the cooling fan comes on and wont go off unless I shut A/C off and run it for a little under a mile. Is that normal? How can I fix it? all advice appreciated I dk wut to do bout it

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
Where do you live? What ambient temps are you driving in? No trailer I assume?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in Toms River NJ jersey shore basically hot and humid lately. I tow a 20ft enclosed trailer with my toys but not often or lately been real hot but fan only comes on when A/C is on sometimes it takes a minute to come on but never the less always comes on

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
Is this something new?

The AC condenser sits in front of the radiator, and rejects heat from the cab to the air. Mine rarely comes on. Only if I'm towing my 4runner up a pass or something, and then its still difficult to get it to come on, even with the AC on. I hear its been REALLY hot out in that neck of the woods, and the humidity may play a role in the cooling issues :dunno:

Does this happen while you're towing the trailer, or empty?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haven't towed the trailer with this truck yet. is this something i can have fixed or figure out at a repair shop

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
Its a little weird IMO. Its out of warranty I guess?

The gauge doesn't move at all when it does this? There's a possibility that it IS on the verge of overheating, and the AC just kicked the temp over the edge. Is there any way for you to check the coolant temp?

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
K.I.S.S. have you checked your coolant level lately? If you dropped some coolant the fan will def run when you dont think it should be? And if you've dropped coolant for no reason, chances are, the dreaded and well known EGR Cooler Failure.

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
Oh and if you've had an EGR cooler failure, chances are your oil cooler is clogged hence, the reason your egr cooler failed. post more stats on your truck, mileage, mods, and stuff

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2007 f250 55,350 miles everything stock except 4 inch straight exhaust with 6 inch stacks and a leveling kit wit 33's super swamper IROK radials i was going to order the liberator to delete egr. Or do ou suggest anything else? money is a little tight for the time being but not for long

·
Registered
270 Posts
mine does the exact same thing and i have a egr block could it jus be the oil cooler clogged? or could it be the fan clutch?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When the A/C and the fan is on and I hit the gas hard up to a little over 3k rpm it screaches bad so could that mean all this is the fan clutch?

·
Registered
270 Posts
ive been tryin to figure this out for about a year and im jus stumped

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Heat Exchange Part 1

It is common for the clutch fan to engage when you turn on the A/C, this is in anticipation to compensate for the extra heat that will be passing thru the a/c condenser thus increaseing the amount of heat the air flow will need to disipate.

Air flows from the outside inwards to the engine passing thru several coolers [commonly called the coolant stack] before it gets to the radiator to cool the coolant which in turn cools the engine and the oil, and transmission fluid. Any thing that disrups or impedes the air flow reduces the efficency of the heat transfer.

Dirt, corrision, bugs, trash etc or fins folded over reduces air flow and effects heat transfer. As heat increases several sensors tell the clutch fan to engage and release according to the temp settings of the various sensors.

The fan is basicaly a varyable speed device at low temps it turns slower than engine RPM as temps increase the clutch tightens up causeing the fan to turn closer and closer to engine speed until full lock up which makes the blades turn at full engine RPM. This causes max airflow thru the system.

Sorry I am too tired now will post more tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
take it ford you are under warranty

1 - 15 of 15 Posts