Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a chip with david lotts tuning. It is great, however, it runs hot as all hell. After a few seconds with my foot in it I have to let off because im hitting my 1250 egt warning light. I want to cool it down some. I know I can spend thousand or so on a turbo. Not in budget. Or spend a few hundred on a 6 leakers intercooler and see my egt drop 10 degrees. Not enough. I thought a lot about maybe water methanol, but that's another up keep thing, and I would imagine it would make my truck less marketable. Any ideas? Maybe turning the wastegate up if anyone has done that? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
8,568 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the bellowed up pipes and new driver manifold, however passenger is leaking. My EGT probe is in new driver side manifold. I have to pull the engine this fall so ill do it then. As far as boost. up to the AIH (my probe location) Im making boost. I have the right amount of power as if there weren't any major boost leaks too. But I have read many others say he runs hot so I know its not just me. Just trying to cool it down some.

·
Registered
456 Posts
What are your boost numbers. There's something definitely not right because I can lay in it all day and not get past 1200. Also where is your egt sensor located on the manifold?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and do you have david lott tuning...? right around 25 psi with tuning. front of manifold before up pipe.

·
Registered
456 Posts
No just the hydra runes but I could hit 28 before my clutch started giving . Mine is in same place

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
then that's my "problem" like I said earlier. David lott tunes are hot. I just need some suggestions on cooling it down some without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
For $20 you can build a boost tester. I say if you find no leaks it's worth it.

Reactions: peixinho

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks, but back to the original question, ways to cool egts without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
571 Posts
New air filter
Fix boost leaks

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok I'm not retarded, my boost is not leaking and my air filter is clean. I need some of the veterans on here to chime in instead of some of these boost leak fanatics! Thanks

·
Registered
316 Posts
Since you say that you don't have boost leaks or pre turbo exhaust leaks...you either need some tune revisions or tunes from a different tuner.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
There is no low buck egt cooling. All you can do is make sure your air flow in and out are flowing good and you have no leaks. Like intake, exhaust are opened up and boost and up pipes are sealed up. Then it's tunes, water/ meth injection or turbo replacement.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gonna make a DIY water meth kit, thanks!

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
i have a weak waste gate so if i don't have the red line unplugged my egts are through the roof.

try unplugging the red line.

is 25 psi your max on the hot tune?

possibly bad ip causing lower oil pressure than what the hoop can give.

how bad is the manifold leaking? it doesnt take much of a leak to raise gets a lot.....

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah 25-27psi. Does that sound right? You can hear the manifold but even my buddy has his tunes and he's right in the same temp range with good manifolds.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
if you ca hear it leak your definitely losing some power and raising temps.

that sounds pretty close, still running stock compressor wheel?

·
Registered
571 Posts
EBPV delete.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Ok I'm not retarded, my boost is not leaking and my air filter is clean. I need some of the veterans on here to chime in instead of some of these boost leak fanatics! Thanks
Biting my tongue......

What makes you so certain you don't have a boost leak? Just because you hit an acceptable number on the gauge does not mean you don't have a boost leak.
A tester is $5 to make. Make one. :doh:

You've already stated that you have a drive pressure leak. Fix it.

I've heard good things about David Lott tunes. There is no way they are as crappy as you're describing.
Low boost and high egt is not acceptable, but I'm sure it's not the tunes.

7.3's have been out for a long time now, and for the most part we have figured out what works and why.
Your standard set up will not have issues if it is mechanically sound.
Adding water/meth would be a band-aid to another issue, no a solution.

Is the air filter clean? :poke:

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
:rofl:

even a small leak at the aih or map sensor results in much higher egts and lower boost.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts