Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of coolent does ford use i like to take the overflow bottle out n clean it and can i mix it with other if so what kind would i use

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
ford uses ford gold but its a really crappy coolant imo if i were you i would flush it all out and switch to a elc coolant. im sure you can buy it at your local truck stop or truck store ( peterbuilt, kenworth ) or any other semi company or repair.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
when i say flush i mean put the garden hose in the degas bottle and pull off radiator hose and just run water through then drain the water and add new coolant. just dont keep using ford gold. ps i guess i should ask.... what year is your truck you may not even have ford gold lol i just assumed...

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
Oh no....please take a look at our stickies before you touch anything. Please...please don't use tap water in your coolant system.

Sent from my SGSIII running a custom ROM.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah I'm on the same boat as WarChild avoid tap water. Get some purified/distilled or bottled water I know Arrow head sells their water in large gallon jugs. My owner's manual says that the total cooling system capacity is 27.5 quarts (or 6.85 gallons) Now you may not need 7 gallons considering half of that will be anti-freeze. If you would like to keep using the Ford Gold by all means do so. What I use in my Excursion is something called ENGINE ICE. It's a high performance coolant and it does make my engine run much cooler. However I have a feeling someone is going to read about that and is going to tell me I'm an idiot, but oh well we will see.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its a 06 i have 2 months left on the warrenty so im not going to do anything till then i got a friend he,s a ford tech. going to do the delete for 350 plus parts but im sure i can do it myself n ford just put in a new oil cooler so i should be good too go

1 - 7 of 7 Posts