Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI, i'm going to change my coolant, can i go to napa and get any kind? Or is there some certain one i have to get, also how much do i need:dunno: also how would i know if i have the Dana 50 or 60 front axle?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
dont forget the sca additive and some testing strips as well

·
Lubrication Addict
236 Posts
FarmBoy: Not to confuse U or complicate things any. If you have a local wm close by?
Stop in and see if they stock Final Charge. It's made by Peak! Its An ELC->Extended Life Coolant. {Red Coolant}. I switched over last winter. You don't have to add any SCA addtive. I will change mine out every 4 yrs.

I work for a Oil Field company with over 24 F250 PSD, and 16 Pump Trucks and Transports and they have all changed over to this antifreeze. Our Local WM can't keep it in stock. Our Company just ordered a pallet of it.

You will have to drain all the green out of the radiator and motor. It won't hurt if ya don't get all the green out. Just don't add any other color of antifreeze after the change. Never mix colors of antifreeze.

It was just a suggestion: Might think about adding a coolant filter. Your water pump will love ya.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FarmBoy: Not to confuse U or complicate things any. If you have a local wm close by?
Stop in and see if they stock Final Charge. It's made by Peak! Its An ELC->Extended Life Coolant. {Red Coolant}. I switched over last winter. You don't have to add any SCA addtive. I will change mine out every 4 yrs.

I work for a Oil Field company with over 24 F250 PSD, and 16 Pump Trucks and Transports and they have all changed over to this antifreeze. Our Local WM can't keep it in stock. Our Company just ordered a pallet of it.

You will have to drain all the green out of the radiator and motor. It won't hurt if ya don't get all the green out. Just don't add any other color of antifreeze after the change. Never mix colors of antifreeze.

It was just a suggestion: Might think about adding a coolant filter. Your water pump will love ya.
how much coolant will i need?

ok thanks i will do that, i bought a coolant filter a few days ago.:woot:

·
Lubrication Addict
236 Posts
I didn't take out the plugs on the side of 7.3L to drain the antifreeze out of the motor. Some do. I replaced all my hoses and changed to the 203deg thermostat at the time of the change. I added 5 gallons of Final Charge.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't take out the plugs on the side of 7.3L to drain the antifreeze out of the motor. Some do. I replaced all my hoses and changed to the 203deg thermostat at the time of the change. I added 5 gallons of Final Charge.

no i'm not going to take the plugs out either,i'm going to change to the 230 deg thermostat when i change. wow 5 gals that alot, more than an gasser:nod:

·
Registered
601 Posts
kinda related, has anybody used toyota red longlife coolant? i just switched to that in my toyota because the green stuff ate my head and after seeing my neighbors motor that has been runnig red (spottttttless) for years i deiced it was the right thing.
it is pricey $23/gall but it sure seems to be alot better

·
Lubrication Addict
236 Posts
If U poured in the green-->Yes U do need the SCA Additives.

·
Registered
172 Posts
sorry to dig this back up but I have a few questions:

If I'm doing a flush, what ports do I need to open to get ALL of the water out before adding coolant? How many jugs do I need if I pull all the plugs? Some say a gallon remains which requires a fully concentrated jug prior to adding the 50/50 mix - is that true?

·
Registered
132 Posts
When switching to ELC, make sure the coolant is diesel rated (i.e. EC1).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts