Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've heard everything about it being a must to put a coolant filter in your 6.0L PS because they plug the oil cooler...

So i'm at the stages of flushing my truck's system and most likely changing out my oil cooler as I have 180k km on the truck i just bought.

What i'd like to know is where all the debris comes from? I used a turkey baster to look at my coolant and ya it looks like there's a ton of soot or crud floating around in it. To me the coolant system seems like to be to be a closed system in which nothing should be able to enter, unless if a problem has occured(open system)

·
Super Moderator
12,955 Posts
No one knows with 100% absolute certainty, but the general consensus is that it's casting sand left over from the manufacturing process. Yes your coolant system is(at least should be) a closed system so nothing should get into the system. Unless you have rust in the system from too much water/not enough antifreeze that debris will filter out within a year or so once you put a coolant filter on. The second thing a coolant filter does is help filter out the silicates that the Ford gold has in it. You can't really "see" them until they accumulate, then it looks like a bunch of snot and these silicates also will clog the oil cooler, which is why a lot of people make the switch to an ELC coolant.

Here's a couple pics of my last filter for ya that I took when I did my coolant flush with restore/VC9.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I would suggest reading the "stickies" all of your answers are in there and thoroughly discussed. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts