Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I have been monitoring my EOT and ECT because a month or so ago I was hauling some horses and I noticed my temps diverged by about 50°F. I don't remember the exact temps, but ECT was about 180 and EOT about 230. Usually they are around 205 ECT and 210-215EOT. This was a return trip, and on the way there I had no problems. Truck sat for 2 days between trips but that was it.

I thought it was weird that this would happen so suddenly and I wasn't excited about replacing the oil cooler so I figured I would try a flush first. I did, and I also replaced the coolant with ELC type since I heard that was what the engine was designed for. I test drove it and it got it up to temps, it seemed to work, everything within 5° - but I wasn't towing.

Took a long trip this weekend. On the way up, the temps seemed to stabilize at about 200-210 with about 8° spread between EOT and ECT. I stopped paying attention to the temps after about 2-3hrs of driving and then I noticed my ECT dropped to about 168°, EOT was stable at about 210. ECT eventually came up to about 180° but the spread stayed at about 30°.

On the way back I had a spread of about 11-15° for about 2 hours. I stopped for lunch for about 20min. Of course the temps dropped while the truck sat but the ECT dropped more. When I started it, the temps were about ECT 185, EOT at about 205. It seemed like the ECT dropped and the EOT went up. So the rest of the trip back I was at about 180°F and EOT was about 220°. Fluctuating a bit but holding steady at about 40° spread. This time the truck popped the P012f code and an underboost code. Not sure why it always does both when it pops this code.

I don't want to replace the oil cooler if that is not the problem. I think its weird that my ECT will drop suddenly and it seems like once it does it never stabilizes to the 5-15° spread that its supposed to maintain.

Any thoughts on if this is definitely an oil cooler issue and I should just replace it?

Thank you.

· Administrator
35,570 Posts
I imagine your not going to dodge the cooler replacement
but you should try a thermostat the only reason for a temp below 190ish or a random drop is a faulty thermostat or bad sender

remember the spread / delta of 15 is only applicable to a set procedure of unloaded highway speeds

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would you consider to be high EOT? I think the highest I have seen was a spike of about 235 while going up a hill (a Michigan hill, so it was steep but not very long), then it usually drops back down. I might try the flush again since it did seem to help.

Thanks!

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK thanks! I was able to find the info on the test. I ordered a new thermostat, I figure that can't hurt. Plus I will check the wiring to the temp sender and maybe replace that too - though the one I have is new.

· Premium Member
9,933 Posts
1900 RPM's for 20 minutes level ground, no load. They used to say 65 MPH but that only works with 3.73 gearing. When I'm unloaded I usually don't see my oil temps over about 203* and that's only pulling hills, flat EOT runs around 198*- 200* with ECT 190* -192*
Even when I had my horse trailer on, my deltas were never over 15*

Reactions: goddom
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.