Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 f-350 6.0 fx4. Just wondering if my coolant temps are good. Outside temp here over the past few months is 95-100°f and maybe even 105 at times. Cruising at anywhere from 60 to 75 mph my coolant temps run around 200-202, oil temps 204-206. When I get into town, red light to red light, my oil temps stay steady but my coolant temps my rise up to 206-210, putting them higher than my oil temps. When I get back up to speed everything goes back to normal. Is this normal or do I have something to worry about? EGR delete, oil cooler and elc coolant put in about 8 months ago. No tunes.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey 06, mine run about the same, but no higher then 204. Im hoping thats normal, I havent had any problems thus far (knock on wood)

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Those numbers are normal... the thermostat is not fully open until 219.
But normally with my truck to get the ECT much over 210 I need to be towing/hauling 10k or more.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hasn't gotten over 210. And I haven't hauled anything in a while. Just really wanting to make sure that the coolant temp going higher than the oil temp is normal, never heard of it before.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
seems normal .mine run at 196 un loaded

·
Registered
84 Posts
My 05 F250 will run with deltas in the 190's and no more then 8 degrees dif.(normal) but when I sit in traffic or at lights the temps go up to 200/208 and sometime the ECT and EOT are the same temps. My thought is the fan is not working properly, just had a new water pump and thermostat installed.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Those temps are normal due to the fact there is no or very little air flow across the radiator. Like what was said earlier, the thermostat is not fully open until 219*. The fan doesn't come on with coolant temp until the mid to upper 220*s.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
My 05 F250 will run with deltas in the 190's and no more then 8 degrees dif.(normal) but when I sit in traffic or at lights the temps go up to 200/208 and sometime the ECT and EOT are the same temps. My thought is the fan is not working properly, just had a new water pump and thermostat installed.
That's normal. Just depends on ambient temps, if your thermostat is opening or closing, air flow across the radiator, the oil you're running, etc....

Just a FYI -- delta refers to the difference between two things, in this case the difference between your ECT and EOT. It would have been more accurate to say your truck will run with temps in the 190's and a delta of 8*. :ford:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not trying to beat a dead horse here on the coolant temp topic but mine still seems off to me. 45* outside temp this mornin, started my truck to let it warm up temp gets up to about 140* before I get ready to go, get in and go and temp is up to 200* within like 2 minutes, that just seems strange to me? After I get up to speed it goes back down and runs around 192* til I stop at a red light or get in traffic then its back up to 210*-212* . Outside temp didn't get over about 55*F while I was out today. This seems strange to me, or am I just paranoid? Don't know if its related but my heater isn't working while my truck is idling only when I'm driving down the road when I slow down or stop the heat goes cold, pick back up to about 50-60 mph and heat works great!?!? Any ideas?? Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
This IS weird l'd like to see where this ends up.

Maybe a water pump issue or a belt or pulley? I'm thinking maybe its not moving much coolant at idle but once the RPMs are up it flows normal.

Does anyone really care what I used to send this?

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
Not trying to beat a dead horse here on the coolant temp topic but mine still seems off to me. 45* outside temp this mornin, started my truck to let it warm up temp gets up to about 140* before I get ready to go, get in and go and temp is up to 200* within like 2 minutes, that just seems strange to me? After I get up to speed it goes back down and runs around 192* til I stop at a red light or get in traffic then its back up to 210*-212* . Outside temp didn't get over about 55*F while I was out today. This seems strange to me, or am I just paranoid? Don't know if its related but my heater isn't working while my truck is idling only when I'm driving down the road when I slow down or stop the heat goes cold, pick back up to about 50-60 mph and heat works great!?!? Any ideas?? Thanks!!!

I think that you may have a radiator issue there. Does the cooling system have distilled water with the coolant?
Ford has a reputation for putting tap water in their vehicles after servicing them. It sounds to me like your cooling system is not moving water outside of the engine to me.

May be worthwhile to do some flushing on your truck, pull hose off at heater valve above pass valve cover and then the one at the y below coolant recovery tank. Push fluid from y hose out of heater hose on pass side.
Remove upper and lower hoses off of radiator and flush that out from top down.
Then from metal tube inlet on pass side where heater core hose was removed to flush out pass side of block, other side of y fitting will flush out driver side of block.

I used a 55 gallon drum of Distilled water to flush mine out last weekend with the help from liquid dishwasher soap for good measure. Switched out Gold for CAT EC1 also changed my thermostat and I can say the temp now is a steady 192-194 degrees and I can say my temps were wandering just like all the posts above before doing this.
I have put over 400 miles on it this week and temps are steady at 194 +or- a few degrees.

I would do a good coolant flush without acid!! and see how it runs after. BTW I do have hotter air coming from my heater since flush, that I noticed as soon as it came up to temp.
Hope this helps I had no issues just was switching coolant, was a nice bonus on steady temps and hotter heater...........

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that you may have a radiator issue there. Does the cooling system have distilled water with the coolant?
Ford has a reputation for putting tap water in their vehicles after servicing them. It sounds to me like your cooling system is not moving water outside of the engine to me.

May be worthwhile to do some flushing on your truck, pull hose off at heater valve above pass valve cover and then the one at the y below coolant recovery tank. Push fluid from y hose out of heater hose on pass side.
Remove upper and lower hoses off of radiator and flush that out from top down.
Then from metal tube inlet on pass side where heater core hose was removed to flush out pass side of block, other side of y fitting will flush out driver side of block.

I used a 55 gallon drum of Distilled water to flush mine out last weekend with the help from liquid dishwasher soap for good measure. Switched out Gold for CAT EC1 also changed my thermostat and I can say the temp now is a steady 192-194 degrees and I can say my temps were wandering just like all the posts above before doing this.
I have put over 400 miles on it this week and temps are steady at 194 +or- a few degrees.

I would do a good coolant flush without acid!! and see how it runs after. BTW I do have hotter air coming from my heater since flush, that I noticed as soon as it came up to temp.
Hope this helps I had no issues just was switching coolant, was a nice bonus on steady temps and hotter heater...........
Complete flush was done back at the beginning of this year just like u described, by me, before I installed my new oil cooler. I used about 30 gallons of distilled water, also used restore and restore+. Replaced gold coolant with a cat ec-1 elc. Also put in a new thermostat after flush.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So had a day off today and decided to do a little checking. Visually checked my radiator for blockage or anything that would restrict airflow. Everything looks good there. Also I took the line off the Degas bottle that connects to the passenger side manifold, think I read somewhere that if I disconnect that line from the Degas bottle I should get a steady stream of coolant and if not then the water pump is bad. If that is correct the my water pump is bad. Didn't get a single dropom out of that line.

What am I looking at here? Is it safe to drive? With the temps getting cooler my coolant temps aren't getting too high, bout 205 when sitting still is the highest I've seen since the weather has cooled down. What y'all think?

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
That little line actually comes from egr cooler, I helped a friend flush his 03 last weekend and his line there was almost plugged. I had a hose pushing water through it backwards and also blew compressed air through it and little by little it opened up completely.
After we would blow through it I could see crap wind up in 5 gallon bucket we were using to track how clear water was. I put a ball valve on end of hose and a 5' hose after that and we slammed water open and shut to more or less water hammer the water hoses in and out of engine and thats when crap was coming out of the coolers.
We used cascade dishwasher soap on his truck too, could tell it had been VC9ed in the past by the color of the aluminum, was blackened from acid.

Anyway work at it a while around 4 hours is time we spent and you can get that line flowing again as far as compressed air I set regulator at 25psi you dont want to blow something apart and the hose I just let the pressure do its thing there, his deltas were in the 11-13 degree range he is around 7-9 now so we didn't totally waste our time.lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts