Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone,

I recently got myself a 2005 F350. The truck is great and works awesome. However, I noticed that around the city I had a random increase in coolant temperature (232).

The ECT AND EOT have been staying within 2-10 degrees of each other. it is very hot here recently as well.
It corrected itself and was great from then on, but I am wondering if any of you have an idea of what maybe happening. (Thermostat, Something clogged)

I have a trip coming up where I’m towing and want to make sure I have everything covered. Also, any additives that could help this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
232 is pretty hot for not towing city driving. It gets to 106* where i live and i think the most i've seen is 207 for oil temps in slow traffic uphill. Does it overheat if you keep moving, or does overheating happen in just in stop and go traffic? The truck cools itself down once you are at speed by the force of air going through the radiator, but relies more on the fans for stop and go traffic. I had an issue with my fan not turning on enough during stop and go city driving. If i just pressed the fuel pedal it would jump up to 1,400rpm for a quick second but then quickly go back down, while i then had to stop again in traffic. Once i would go back to cruising speed it would cool itself back down.

Basically i'm trying to say if it heats up in stop and go traffic but cools back down after you are finally cruise up to speed, it could be your fan or the electronics that engage you fan. You should be able to add your fan speed to your monitor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, once I start going it cools off fairly quickly. I can hear the fans going, but not all the time. Maybe a bad connection?
Thank you for your help

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Ought to start by shutting the truck off for 24 hours, and then checking the ECT on EOT before KOEO, or as close as possible. A cold soak the temps should be very close. A difference would point to a sensor.

If the temp jumps randomly, could be a sensor or connection like you suspect and visually inspect them. They’re the same part number so they can be swapped to see if the problem follows it.

When I’m towing and my fan comes on Like a jet engine, the temps do fall pretty quick, but steady.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts